Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: can someone teach me a little iaido, or anything,over the web?, if its possible

freedom_fighter Guest

Default can someone teach me a little iaido, or anything,over the web?, if its possible

I am a newbie and I just want to learn a little Iaido, simply because i live in hillbilly country and there are not many places to learn, where I live. I would really appreciate it.

T Goss

Likes (received)

Mi Mr Goss. Although I am not an iaidoka, I like to think that most practicing swordsman on this forum would gladly help. But I also think that they will all tell you to find a teacher, no matter how far they are and study with them.

I guess we'll just wait and see the replies.

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

Likes (received)

While we're at it, could someone please teach me a little heart surgery over the web? I, too, live in hillbilly country.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

While we're at it, could someone please teach me a little heart surgery over the web? I, too, live in hillbilly country.

David, please forward the sum of $100,000 to my account (I will PM the number to you) and I will gladly send you an e-mail detailing all I know about heart surgery.

While I am 'at it', If Mr Goss would also like to send the sum described above I will also send him an e-mail telling him all I know about Iaido as well.
    Hugh Wallace

A humble wiseman once said, "Those who learn by the inch and talk by the yard should be kicked by the foot."

Likes (received)

Stand in the middle of an empty room. Lock the door. Close the blinds.

Put a Japanese sword in your belt, hilt in front. Step forward with left foot, put hand on handle. Pull out sword and cut down while stepping forward with right foot. Wait immobile for ten seconds. Hold handle with left hand, turn right hand other way around. Swing blade in a downward circle while stepping back. Rest blunt edge on left shoulder. Take opening of scabbard in left hand and bring opening to right hand holding the handle. Slide the blunt edge of the sword over the fingers of the left hand until tip of sword is over opening of scabbard. Insert tip and slide the scabbard over the sword while putting the sword into the scabbard.
    Repeat.

If you cut yourself, don't blame me, find a school. If you cut someone else, you didn't make sure the room was empty. If you hear laughter, you didn't close the blinds.

Likes (received)

Martyn, please don't encourage him like that.

Likes (received)

Thumbs down NO! ...

Mr. Goss,
    It is a virtual impossibility to teach anything sword related over the internet. The sword is an exceedingly dangerous weapon that was designed to inflict horrific wounds on the human body. It does so very effectively and has for several hundreds of years. It is not something that should be messed with lightly!

If you would state just where it is that you live, perhaps one of the members of this forum could direct you to an instructor in your area. If there is none, the best course is to read as much as you can about the Japanese sword and Japanese history. Then, when you have moved to an area that has a qualified instructor available, you will be that much further ahead as you will already know the background and terminology.

Alternatively, you can save your money and attend regular seminars with a qualified instructor and work on what he has taught you in between seminars.

Good luck!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

What Paul said.

And in regards to open heart surgery....for the same fee others would charge you for only heart surgery instruction I will include my easy to read 10 simple steps to successful brain surgery and my essay "Rocket Science for Dummies".

Regards,
    Scott Irey
    Just another one of those "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guys.

freedom_fighter Guest

hahaha, thanks for all the "help" on that, (i hope i didn't sound too stupid in asking that question.) I know for a fact that there are no places that teach Iaido around here the most we have is tai kwon doe and a little jujutsu. The only good thing i can think of is one of my freinds who follows the bushido way, he follows all this stuff about the code of the samuari but does some kind of sword technique, i will try him. Thanks again. and David good luck with the heart surgery. You will make a fine docter some day. hahaha

T Goss

Likes (received)

Originally posted by StanLee
    Martyn, please don't encourage him like that.
    Why not? Swords don't kill people. People kill people.

Likes (received)

It's bloody irresponsible, that's why.

Likes (received)

Wink

Hi T Goss,

Well, I'm not surprised at the responses that have been sent, however I see no harm in anyone asking questions.

Now I do agree completely that it is nigh impossible to learn correct technique from books, vids or over the net, but here is a link that will give you some basic information for Seitei Iaido.

http://www.geocities.com/nobaradojo/Seitei.htm

Now, please, please do not use a sharp sword, may i suggest you invest in a good quality bokken and plasic saya.

I should also add that you will probably find that you will pick up bad habits that will need to retrained out once you find an instructor. One last tip, train slow, tai chi type speed, no fast quick draw movie stuff. Think about what you are doing and why you are doing it, visualise your opponent/s, and remember that nothing is done in Japanese swordsmanship without a reason, don't delete or add stuff because you think this way could be better or you don't need a bit etc.

Have fun and find a good instructor as soo as possible.

Cheers

Jason Anstey

Likes (received)

Originally posted by freedom_fighter
    The only good thing i can think of is one of my freinds who follows the bushido way, he follows all this stuff about the code of the samuari but does some kind of sword technique, i will try him
    Erm, does this comment ring any bells. My spidey sense is going into overdrive!!!

Likes (received)

Why don't you tell where you live? I think most people in this forum can find you nearest dojo.
    Umar Sesko A. Tri Hananto
    "high quality single man"
    "low profile but high product"

Likes (received)

Smile Find a teacher

I will have to agree with my fellow iaidoka that it's best to find yourself a qualified teacher. Again, as you've been asked previously, where is it in hillbilly country do you live? You could contact Carl Long sensei, who is a member of this forum, who I'm sure could point you in the right direction or any other iaido practitioners that live somewhat close to your area. I'm glad to hear you have interest in the sword, and to get some knowledge or iai I would suggest reading "Flashing Steel" by Masayuki Shimbukuro and "Autumn Lighting" by Dave Lowry just to expand your general knowledge on the history of swordsmanship. Best of luck
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast