Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shinai or Bokuto?

Likes (received)

Default Shinai or Bokuto?

When you first learn kendo, are you supposed to get a shinai first or a bokuto to practice techniques? i can see the good side and bad side to each one. i was just wondering.

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Dear David:

In the style of Guem Do I practice one can stay with the sport side of the art in which case one starts with a juk-to (shinai) and then intersperses the sport material with form work which is done with a muk guem. However, on the sword art side of the house, Guem Bup, one starts with the juk-to for warm-up and range of motion and to learn the gross motorskills. Later one phases into Muk guem (bok-ken) with much more emphasis on form both single and double. Later one phases into a shin guem (shinken)and adds cutting practice. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

buy both, they are cheap anyway... although as a beginner you will be hammering away with a shinai more than with a bokken. Most kendo clubs focus on shinai practise more than bokken kata work, so if youre pushed for cash go for the shinai..

Tim Hamilton
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

We teach with shinai, then after a few months start teaching kata for which you need a bokken.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

KendoShiai Guest

Shorite, ask your Sensei. I require all students to buy shinai first as we have several dozen at the dojo. But we use both from day one. I begin all Saturday classes with Kata practice and then into Shinai Kendo. Wednesdays are usually only Shinai Kendo but we will still use Bokken to warm up with. In the end ask your Sensei which you will need first.

KendoShiai Guest

I just reread your first post and did not realize that you’re in Pensacola. Who is your Kendo Sensei? Mr. Tim Lambert?

Likes (received)

I don't study kendo, i'm just interested in it. karate is my passion right now. i might visit a kendo school when i go back to England, but thats about it.