Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Last Samurai Clones....

Likes (received)

Default Last Samurai Clones....

All martial artists brace yourselves, Tom Cruise has done the Oriental Samurai movie and it looks like Japanese Swordsmanship will be the next craze.

Stand aside all you Ninjas, a new wave of Bogus Boys will be in town, riding on the popularity of Mr Cruise's latest offerings.

For those of us old enough to remember the martial arts fads that have come and gone this will perhaps be the start of something new.

After all, we had Judo in the 1950's.

Kung Fu Caine and Bruce Lee did the Chinese Martial Arts in the 60's and 70's.

It was all ninja's in the 1980's.

The 1990's saw kick-boxing and capoeria (sic?), perhaps 2003 will bring the Kenhutsu / Kendo fad?

I will be keeping an eye out for any new schools in town and any 'masters who studied with and received the secrets if kenjutsu from reclusive ascetic swordmasters', heh heh heh

Andy
    Andrew

Likes (received)

Then I guess that all of us in "proper" kenjutsu should challenge these new comers then!

BATTO SHITTA!

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

Likes (received)

The age old question, what do you do about a fraudster?

I was once taken in by a fraud martial arts instructor myself. I found the best thing to do was to vote with my feet. (yes, I am a pacifist). Luckily I walked into a legit martial arts instructor almost straight away.

I will leave the martial arts law enforcement to more vocal people.

Martial arts fraudsters are a real laugh at times.

Only a few days ago I had a bloke in a pub tell me about this fantastic system he knew that gave him a black belt in a year and combined traditional karate and aikido. (He was a 3rd Dan no less)

Funnily enough, when I asked a few questions about where the style originated from etc... he changed the subject.

I am sure we will hear of some new, secret and obscure Koryu or Kenjutsu Ryu in the next year or so.

Andy
    Andrew

Likes (received)

Default Re: Last Samurai Clones....

Originally posted by ap skeritt
    The 1990's saw kick-boxing and capoeria (sic?), perhaps 2003 will bring the Kenhutsu / Kendo fad?
    Actually, I think BJJ was much more popular than either of the above, especially in the latter half of the 90s.

Jeff
    Jeff Velten
    Kreth on undernet's #bujinkan and #martial IRC channels

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Last Samurai Clones....

Originally posted by Kreth
    Actually, I think BJJ was much more popular than either of the above, especially in the latter half of the 90s.

Jeff
    But there hasn't really been many fakes in BJJ at the moment, they usually do "Shoot fighting" "smack fighting" "Crab fighting" and the other UFC take offs.

I think we will see an up count in people in silly hakama, holding katana back to front and teaching people how to cut through billy bully punch bags.

I can't wait...

ja
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

perhaps 2003 will bring the Kenjutsu / Kendo fad?
    I suppose it really depends on the box office success of 'the Last samurai'.
    Greg Caplinger
    Gekka Dojo
    GWBNF/KJJR

"Shin-gi-tai-ichi"

Likes (received)

Maybe those of us in the x-kans will be lucky, and the neo-ninja crowd will be reborn as neo-samurai/neo-kendoka...

Jeff
    Jeff Velten
    Kreth on undernet's #bujinkan and #martial IRC channels

Likes (received)

Talking Already happened ...

We already went through that phase back when the Highlander was popular. You don't know how many people showed up wanting to learn how to use their stainless steel with plastic handle Highlander swords. Boy were they disappointed to find out that it takes more than a couple of months! Most of them didn't last through the first couple of weeks, but a couple of those Highlander wannabes turned into good students and are still with us today.

You used to have the ninja all over, then you had the jujutsu craze. Lately it's been aiki. Aiki-something is everywhere now. I guess it's gonna be our turn again, kinda like bell bottoms from the 70's, they just won't go away!

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Originally posted by StanLee
    BATTO SHITTA!
    I am assuming this has a true meaning...... and not just the excrement of flying nocturnal animals
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Steve Williams
    I am assuming this has a true meaning...... and not just the excrement of flying nocturnal animals
    LOL!

Who knows, sounds like a Count Dante move if you ask me...

Cheers
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

Guys, I'm posting from sunny Western Australia. We missed a lot of the BJJ craze here, (we have the most isolated capital city in the world).

The last couple of posts have totally gone over my head.

Anyone care to explain?

I hear that the Last Samurai is not too bad, so brace yourselves.

The highlander swords will be dusted off and selling like hotcakes in second hand shops all around the western world.

I think a lot of the nijutsu guys might become 'Samurai Ninjutsu' schools, hah hah.

Funny story, my sensei used to run a martial arts shop.

A well known local martial arts figure (fraud) walks in, buys every book in the store on Ninja's and, four weeks later, opens a ninjutsu school. Apparently he was secretly taught the true ninja style and has been a secret grand master for the last 30 years, hah hah hah lol..

Cheers,

Andy
    Andrew

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Steve Williams
    Steve, I wasn't sure of the spelling. But this means "swords drawn" and used in the context of a preveiling fight or duel.

I found it on a site with different japanese word meanings. It even had a name for "female hand puppetry"...

But I was sure that had it in my favorite links...

I'll post it when I've found it.

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Looks like I will have to dust off that Takagi Yoshin Muto Dori video and review my seminar notes from last year, just in case some neo-Musashi-kabure wants to demonstrate something he saw on the Shogun boxed set he borrowed last week from the library.

J. Vlach, Amsterdam

Likes (received)

I remember Brackthorn-San and the Shogun series. Good stuff!

Never knew there was a boxed set. I will have to get a copy to put next to the seven samurai on the bookshelf.

(Who ever would have guessed Richard Chamberlain was gay? I mean honestly, the chicks used to really dig him man...)

Heard some enlighted guy discussing the Niten Itto Ryu the other day, said that he had heard that Musashi had picked up his two sword techniques from portugese rapier and dagger techniques being used by GaiJin sailours.

Has anyone else heard of this, or is it B/S??

As for the Last Samurai, instuctors watch out, there are some budding Musashi's out there...heh heh heh. Let's just hope they bathe and shower, unlike the old master himself.

On a serious note, the movie might actually spur a bit of interest in some of the traditional sword arts. The more the merrier. Some will come and go, (good sparring practice in the short time), others may stay.

Over all a good outcome. (perhaps)

Cheers,

Andy
    Andrew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast