Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Last Samurai Clones....

Likes (received)

Default Re: Films and dojo membership

Originally posted by AlexM
    Hello,
    There is no kenjutsu (well, not legitimate kenjutsu) or much iaido in Montreal, so we're one of the only options for the hoards of samurai wannabe (the first newbie that comes in with a topknot will be submitted to torture by mockery).
    Not much iai in Montreal? Man, I wish I lived were there was much Iai. Here we are in Ottawa, 1 Iai club, and I thought montrealers had it nice with all the clubs they had. There's the Shidokan Iaido (and kendo) club (Iai under Robert Miller, MSR), Kimochi Iaido (under Serge Laporte, MSR), Nihon Shiki (under Robert Thivierge, MSR), and I know there's a Jikishi-kai (MJER) affiliated group too, I just can't find the details at the moment. Heard that it's headed by Miura Takeyuki's daughter or relative in some way.

At least 4 clubs in there, and that's not much Iaido? *shakes head*. I guess living in Japan should be the only option then, because I sure don't know anywhere with that many Iai clubs near here other than Montreal. Not that I'm disappointed with my dojo or anything, it's still great .

---
    Sebastien Leclair

Likes (received)

Default As for Kendo

You also have other options for Kendo. CKF lists the University of Montreal Kendo club, Kendo Isshin, and the montreal Kendo club. That should be enough options to minimize the influx of all the last samurai and kill bill fans for you. You're not alone

Although we, in Ottawa, pretty much are. There's that other kendo club, but I think that's it for us. And we're running out of dojo space. Hrm. Wonder if anyone will try and join because of the new samurai wave...

--
    Sebastien Leclair

Ryan Leonhart Guest

I seriously hope that The Last Samurai bombs. Not just your average run-of-the mill crap like Kangroo Jack or Biodome but really really crappy movies, the kind of stuff you'd need therapy after. The reason for this is for us new comers (not all of us noobs are influenced by movies) it is hard to tell which schools are real or are plain, well, crap. I have done my research, so me getting in to a crappy school is unlikley
    (though that onezulujutsu sure looks intresting! ) But For some uninformed noobs, disaster stricks. Spinoffs of ninjutsu, akido, kenjutsu, and even kyudo are out there seeking prey. The thing is, more and more people are falling for fake arts, mainly due to a heavy movie influence. So if the movies in general suck, then there will be less public appeal and less crappy/fake dojo's out there.

Thats my 2cents

rinpoche Guest

I think many people were influenced in their decision to study a martial art due to movies and television. However, most people realize how much time and effort go into becoming proficient at a martial art and drop out - particularly if they aren't serious.

Sure - with every media craze you will find imitator instructors. The martial arts are particularly sensitive to fads - which tend to last a couple years.

Personally I welcome anything that takes some of the attention away from Ultimate Battlefield Navy SEAL Commando fighting. Not that there's anything wrong with that stuff, but the current thought amongst many of the ignorant is that traditional arts are worthless. If people get back to arts that also provide spiritual, ethical, and aesthetic development alongside the combative practices - fantastic.

I'd love to see more people in the US practicing Kendo, Iaido etc - maybe we'll have less road rage.

Eventually most of the crappy schools will die out.

It's funny, I have a friend that, in the mid-90s used to work in a cutlery shop that sold knives and swords. He had a scale based on what young males that came in the shop told him:
    1. "I've done some Kendo"
    Translation: I've seen Star Wars.

2. "I do Kendo"
    Translation: I've seen Highlander and I believe it.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Films and dojo membership

Originally posted by SLeclair
    Not much iai in Montreal? Man, I wish I lived were there was much Iai. Here we are in Ottawa, 1 Iai club, and I thought montrealers had it nice with all the clubs they had. There's the Shidokan Iaido (and kendo) club (Iai under Robert Miller, MSR), Kimochi Iaido (under Serge Laporte, MSR), Nihon Shiki (under Robert Thivierge, MSR), and I know there's a Jikishi-kai (MJER) affiliated group too, I just can't find the details at the moment. Heard that it's headed by Miura Takeyuki's daughter or relative in some way.

---
    Sebastien Leclair
    I know little about iaido, only to say that someone at our kendo club tried to find a high ranking sensei in the city to practice with and couldn't (or at least not to his liking). Shidoukan no longer exists by the way.

As for kendo, well... we currently have the largest club in terms of membership in the city and I just know we're going to get alot of these Last Samurai guys. Not that it's a bad thing. I'm sure some of them will actually enjoy kendo for what it is and not think they're going to learn how to cut heads off and whatnot.

We only have four kendo clubs in the city by the way. That's quite a paltry sum compared to Toronto actually. No Team Canada members live here either (although my sensei is an ex-team Canada member). Kendo is the only "sport budo" where Quebec doesn't dominate the rest of Canada!
    Alexander Monteil
    Resident flyfisherman
    McGill Kendo
    www.mcgillkendo.ca

rinpoche Guest

The other sport Budo being Hockey?

just kidding of course.

kenshorin Guest

Default Re: Last Samurai Clones....

Originally posted by ap skeritt
    All martial artists brace yourselves, Tom Cruise has done the Oriental Samurai movie and it looks like Japanese Swordsmanship will be the next craze.

Stand aside all you Ninjas, a new wave of Bogus Boys will be in town, riding on the popularity of Mr Cruise's latest offerings.
    'Fraid you're right... I guess there was a rediculously bad katana sequence in the recently aired "Xtreme Martial Arts" program on Discovery Channel. Seems like the phonies are out trying to hawk their wares already.

I think movies like this can be a double edged sword (not intending this to be a pun...) - on the one hand, it will definitely encourage some goon to open a bogus school and enroll a bunch of people with his bogosity (<- new word - the state of being bogus ) but there are also those who, more than likely completely by chance, will fall into learning the real thing, and possibly be the ones propagating it. Can go either way, although you usually hear about the bad ones because they tend to be more over-the-top.

Likes (received)

Default Grammar

Originally posted by StanLee
    BATTO SHITTA!
    Well, I haven't read through all three pages yet to see if someone has addressed the translation of "batto shitta". I offer advance apologies if it has been adequately addressed.

Literally, this is "Swords drawn".

Hatsu/Batsu/Nuki = draw, pull, extract
    To/katana = sword
    Suru = irregular verb "to be"; shite (shee-tay, not the English "shite" ) is the gerund form - "being"; shita is past tense "has been [done]" or "did it" --again, depending on context.

Spelling it in romaji as "shitta" -- with a double-t implies a kanji-compound of "shitsu" and "ta" [drop the "tsu" and double the consonant of the following kanji; in this case, ~tt]. Dunno what that would be, would have to see the kanji.

Depending on context of the exclamation "Batto shita!", the meaning could mean:

1. They (implied) drew swords.

2. We (implied) drew swords.

3. Swords have been drawn.

If you want to make it into a command, shout BATTO!!!!!.

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Originally posted by rinpoche
    The other sport Budo being Hockey?

just kidding of course.
    Hockey is "the way of the loosened teeth" or as we say "tabarunakudou". I believe that in New England it's known as "the way of the murderous parent".

And for the record I meant judo, tae kwon do and karate as "sport budo" (i.e. something with competitions, medals, steroids, underfunding and whatnot).

Sorry about briefly hijacking the thread. You may now resume calling Tom Cruise a gigantic wanker.
    Alexander Monteil
    Resident flyfisherman
    McGill Kendo
    www.mcgillkendo.ca

Likes (received)

Originally posted by El Guapo-san
    the Shogun boxed set he borrowed last week from the library.

J. Vlach, Amsterdam
    Hoi J,
    Don't know when you were last in the Amsterdam library, but martial arts books and vids are the first items to be stolen - makes one wonder about the mentality of those want to know more about martial arts...

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Ronin055
    Noticed you mentioned Shogun above.. Just wanted to let you know its out in DVD now. VERY AWSOME.. I got it for 50$ at Sams Club.
    I just finished the book and am looking to get the DVD. What special features are on it?

Jon
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Chrono
    I just finished the book and am looking to get the DVD. What special features are on it?

LOts of good stuff...mainly extensive interviews with some of the lead actors and producers, lots of film clips and pictures of the original production activity, lots of great stories about the making of Shogun. Definitely worth the price of admission...
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3