Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turks Are Relatives Of Japanese?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by StanLee

Does that mean if he messes up in public again, we'd be expecting to see him in a local Kebab shop soon serving a hot one with extra chili sauce?
    Well,

Remember 'Nick the Greek' from Lock Stock?

That's actually a documentary from 10 years in the future when a certain member of the Royal family has been forced to go into hiding and change his name!!!!
    Huw Larsen

Number 1 member of the Default Collective of Misfits

Likes (received)

Of course Mountbatten (Phil the Greek's name) was originally Battenberg.

The Germans were everywhere.

And just to bring the thread almost first circle.

The Greeks are nothing but TURKS trying to be Italian. So what does this say about Italian Budoka.

Likes (received)

An interesting thing about Greek Royal family is that, with one exception, none of their member have drop of Greek blood. They originate from Denmark.

As of British Royal Family switching their name to Windor, it happened in WWI.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Likes (received)

Originally posted by PRehse

The Greeks are nothing but TURKS trying to be Italian. So what does this say about Italian Budoka.
    Oh, my. It's a sure flamebait/insult to Greek.
    -Youji Hajime.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by PRehse

Is this a trick question?

Can I have 50:50, or call a friend?

Is the answer Italian Budoka = Greek Budoka = Danish Budoka

Therefore Italian Budoka = Danish Budoka...

argggggggggg the confusion!

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

Likes (received)

Regarding possible Polynesian/South Pacific admixtures in the Japanese bloodline, some scholars of kyudo history have speculated that the Japanese longbow shows this influence.

As is well known, the Japanese bow is, in comparison with the bows of other peoples, somewhat eccentric, being extremely long with an off-center grip. While it now is of a recurve design (the result of the Japanese adoption and adaptation of mainland Asian design and lamination techniques adapted to native materials), it was originally a single-curve longbow made out of a single piece of wood.

Although I have not studied this deeply, I have read that this has led some scholars to speculate that, since this bow is so different than the bows used by continental Asians (Koreans, Chinese, and Mongols) and resembles aboriginal bows used by people in the South Pacific, it stands to reason that it may have been brought to Japan by these people migrating to the Japanese archipelago. AFAIK, the Ainu bow was a short non-recurve bow made out of a single piece of wood and gripped in the center. (Personally, I believe that this may also be due to the fact that the Japanese did not have a ready supply of animal horn from large flocks of ruminants, like the Mongols, for example, but did have a ready supply of hardwood and bamboo; but that is a subject for another discussion.)

It is common knowledge that the royal families of Europe are all related due to centuries of intermarriage. I believe that Queen Victoria and the Russian Tsar (Nichloas or Alexander? I can't remember which) were cousins. And George III was known as "German George" becasue he didn't know how to speak English. Anyway, the English have changed dynasties more often than Jennifer Lopez changes men. Even William the Conqueror was originally Norse (Norman, i.e., a "Northman")

What does "Fuji" mean in Ainu?
    Last edited by Earl Hartman; 14th October 2003 at 19:39.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

I personally have view that ainu and hayato of kyushyu are somehow related to polynesian stocks. Saigo-san, for examples, looks very much like Polynesian to me.
    -Youji Hajime.

Likes (received)

The remains of an emperess in a kofun near Nara were checked for DNA back in the late eighties. The DNA showed a very strong connection to Korea (I dunno how these things are explained), anyhow the report was that the emperess was in fact Korean; as further evidenced by the Korean jewelry she wore and the paintings on the tomb walls. Of course the Japanese will deny all this today though.

As for Ainu words in Japanese today; KAMI is an Ainu word for supernatural beings. HIME is the Ainu word for priestess, the Japanese just changed it to mean princess.

The early shamans of Japan were all female, as in many Polynesian cultures, and some were even androgenous.

The Philippinos are also of Polynesian ancestry and there is evidence that the Japanese had a colony in the philippines as far back as the early 1500's.
    David Hayden

Likes (received)

Oh, I forgot to add that the well known cherry blossom; the representation of Japan actually came from Persia and was not originally found in Japan. This is why the cherry tree is a called persica ........

In the Shosoin repository (dates?) there are some items that are of Persian and Turkish origin. This clearly shows that Japan was trading with Western Europe even early on in her history.
    David Hayden

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Vapour
    They weren't borrowed. I suspect that Polynesian related people were the original inhabitants of Japan before overwhelmed by Orientals.

By the way, it is quite common for some Japanese kids to have curly hair which get straighter as they grow up. My sister had one and my uncle's hair was pretty much afro when he was kid. It's much common in Southern blood (Kyushyu, the place of Satuma Hayato). Any info on this?
    I don't have specific information regarding that hair texture in Japanese, but I do know that kinked hair is a trait that has persisted among ethnicities that originated in hot climates. The trait does confer some benefits as a cooling device, as heat escapes faster from the head when hair is kinked -- an advantage in hot places. Perhaps it persisted in the south of Japan for that reason, and because no one actively selected to eliminate the trait (as in by marrying only people with unkinky hair).

Jews also possess genes for kinked hair. We call 'em "Jewfros." heh heh. Some of my aunts had the trait, but none of my cousins or brothers or I do.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall...30excerpt2.htm

There's an anthropologist who believes the Zuni are descended from Japanese.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

For example, the Zuni sacred rosette(top) closely resmebles Japan's national symbol, the chrysanthemum:
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Diverse cultures can spontaneously invent or discover the same designs, etc. without ever having had contact with each other. That has happened time and again.

Genetic frequencies are far more telling.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Diverse cultures can spontaneously invent or discover the same designs, etc. without ever having had contact with each other. That has happened time and again.

Genetic frequencies are far more telling.
    Well, there are more than a few of those in her theory, but I couldn't very well post an image of most of them, could I? She also believes that the intemingling actually took place rather late-around the 13th century or so, so the design becomes a bit more relevant.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

- H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

The author draws comparisons between Zuni and Japanese culture that have absolutely no common link except for that of humanity -- that human beings, being all of the same species and thus possessing the same emotional and creative capabilities, can easily develop similar customs, artforms and social structure.

She traces the historic meetings of various European and one North African individual with Zuni, but fails to indicate any historical activity regarding Japanese interaction. In fact, she points out Japanese exclusivism with its implication of self-imposed isolation. She doesn't cite any historic proofs nor even references to Japanese exploration. All historical tracts about the Japanese -- including all those by the Japanese themselves -- indicate that Japanese did not venture to other hemispheres. They were not travelers.

After a long treatise that in no way indicates anything about Japanese-Zuni interchange, and in the very last sentence, the writer tosses in her zinger that she believes "Japanese pilgrims" met with Zuni and influenced their culture.

Okay, so, how does one rationally, logically make a line for Point A to Point Q? Come on.

Her tossed-in remark is completely without basis or reason.
    Cady Goldfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast