Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Modern Karate

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Modern Karate

Among the well-known styles, for example, Goju, shito, Shotokan, Wado, Isshin, Shorin and so on, most traditionalist have good familiarity with other traditional styles. Meaning that at one time or another thay have dabbled in other styles or have been exposed to different styles often. Moreover, most have at least bothered to order a book, tape or peak in to look at another class that had nothing to do with their own just to see what the other folks were doing.
    Therfore, regardless if one agrees, likes, dislikes the other schools, they have a good idea of what other traditional styles are all about.

In recent years, 1970's and 80's, different brands of karate have come to the martial art scene; World Oyama Karate, Seidokan, Ashihara, Enshin, shidokan.

...curious to learn how much exposure others have had with the modern karate methods. Again, it's besides the point if it is one's cup of tea. Nonetheless, how many have taken the time to check them out by either watching a Video tape, visiting a school, spectator at one of their events, seminar, or even an informal one on one practice with a BB.

Not that we have to remind anyone, even so, feel free to express what you liked best, incorporated, something you found odd or disliked.

Likes (received)

Matsumura orthodox seito shorin ryu is the best style don't waste you time with anything else.
    Hector Gomez
    "Todo es Bueno"

Bustillo, A. Guest

Originally posted by hectokan
    Matsumura orthodox seito shorin ryu is the best style don't waste you time with anything else.
    You are so right. What was I thinking. Let's just close the window, lock the doors, don't go outside our dojo, put on our blinders and not bother with any ideas outside such a fabulous orthodox antiquarian orthodox style.

Narrow-mindedness. The true 'way' to follow. Hmm!

Gene Williams Guest

I really like the way they break boards in Matsumura Seito. I hear they start their students out with jello and whip cream, then move to broccoli and mashed potatoes

Gene Williams Guest

Hector, you better bow and smile when you mention that name They know where you live, they know your phone number, they could be folowing you right now...I found one of them in the glove box of my car

Likes (received)

Gene,

Maybe it's the same seito-ryu clan that stole my airbags.
    Hector Gomez
    "Todo es Bueno"

RobertW Guest

World Oyama Karate, Seidokan, Ashihara, Enshin, shidokan.

These are all, directly or indirectly offshoots of Kyokushinkai, are they not? Ashihara left Kyokushin, Niniomiya who was under him created Enshin which is similar. I don't know too much about Seidokan (do you mean Mr. Issii's seidokan Antonio?) there are so many ('house of the righteous way seems to be popular). Shidokan is another Kyokushin offshoot.

What I have noticed is alot of rule differences between them. Almost like they ted to be at odds about which old stylte Kyokushin rules too keep.

Gene Williams Guest

Originally posted by hectokan
    Gene,

Maybe it's the same seito-ryu clan that stole my airbags.
    Nope. Sounds like they have plenty of airbags already

Gene Williams Guest

I have a lot of respect for the Kyokushin guys. There was a school down from ours back in the 80's and they were pretty tough and had really good kata, too. I saw a full contact fight between one of their guys and a kick boxer who looked pretty good over in Birmingham. The Kyokushin guy beat him in seven seconds! He shin kicked his thigh, then punched his lights out with a straight shot to the jaw. Looked clean and strong. All their guys looked like that

Likes (received)

Talking Get the mats

Originally posted by Bustillo, A.
    You are so right. What was I thinking. Let's just close the window, lock the doors, don't go outside our dojo, put on our blinders and not bother with any ideas outside such a fabulous orthodox antiquarian orthodox style.

Narrow-mindedness. The true 'way' to follow. Hmm!
    Antonio, did you hit your head again? Go get some mats!
    Manny Salazar
    Submisson Sabaki

Likes (received)

Default Offshoots

I have seen some tapes on Enshin and Ashihara karate, as well as Kyokushin. I like the fact that they are no nonsense fighting systems and train with a lot of reality. I have been exposed personally to Ashihara and Enshin who are almost identical IMO, and like it a lot. I've had the opportunity to train with the Big Kahuna and have gotten a lot from it. I also like their katas which are performed closer to real fighting. They are influenced by kick boxing which is another attraction to me.
    Manny Salazar
    Submisson Sabaki

Gene Williams Guest

Isn't Seidokan Nakamura?

bruceb Guest

Default Kinda the right idea ...

Our subject starts off with the comparison of Karate styles but that doesn't even scratch the surface of the rounded practitioner.

The modern practitioner must have the courage to experience and practice, to some degree, a variety of disciplines in order to advance and grow in Karate.

My first teacher had the right idea. His idea was to equally picture the great teachers of Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, and Aikido, with a cross above all the masters to remind us of the importance of the human spirit to achieve peace not as as means to advance the gains of the individual.

The importance of rounding out the practitioner to be as ready as possible for the variety of martial arts styles outside of classic teachings of karate would mean one should study the many styles of fighting outside of ones own style and become familiar with adating or adopting techniques that would benefit karate. Clarity comes experience and studys, especially when application, science, and medicine provide equal validation for the techniques we apply in our practice.

You gotta go outside of class, and study more than what your teacher gives you.

Only when the clarity of application, science, and medicine is seen will the variety of transitions along with dealing with the human condition be understood. At this point, the practice will become second nature and the peacefull ends of the violence will be realized.

Hey ... that is what the practice was all about in the first place, right? To create peace from violence?

Bustillo, A. Guest

Originally posted by RobertW
    World Oyama Karate, Seidokan, Ashihara, Enshin, shidokan.

These are all, directly or indirectly offshoots of Kyokushinkai, are they not? Ashihara left Kyokushin, Niniomiya who was under him created Enshin which is similar. I don't know too much about Seidokan (do you mean Mr. Issii's seidokan Antonio?)

What I have noticed is alot of rule differences between them. Almost like they tend to be at odds about which old stylte Kyokushin rules too keep.

Yes the styles mentioned are off-shoots of kyokushin. The original query still stands.

RobertW,
    Yes, Seidokan, Ishi's organization. They do the K-1 event too.

It is not really a matter at being at odds with one another on what to keep about Kyokushin. They made it a specific point to make the emphasis different. That is why they are not KK-they don't want to be kyokushin.

For example, Ashihara and Enshin, sabaki with emphasis on sweeps, judo throws too.

Shidokan, emphasize just about everything, they include grappling.

Gene ,
    You are thinking of Seidojuku.

hector gomez Guest

Modern karate hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Thats a tough one.At what point are you no longer doing true karate anymore?At what point should your practice in training cease from being called karate?

At what point should you care,if what you are practicing is not technically called karate anymore?

Should you care at all?or is this a very important guideline in deciding wether to experiment with a new idea or not?

Hector Gomez

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast