Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Gaijin - A derogetory term?

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Vapour
    I'm what is refered to as libetarian, an closet rightwing conservative, according to raving lefties.
    A libertarian is on the liberal wing of the social axis, and the conservative wing ofthe economic axis.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    A libertarian is on the liberal wing of the social axis, and the conservative wing ofthe economic axis.
    True libetarianism is not mixed bag of conservatism and liberalism.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Kimpatsu Guest

True libetarianism is not mixed bag of conservatism and liberalism.
    So how would you define libertarianism?

Likes (received)

Gaijin is not a racist word 80-90% of Japanese use it in everyday talk it simply means someone who is outside of Japan.I guess to be very polite we could use Gaikoku no hito.But for Tony since he complains about being called a Gaijin how about instead we call him "Shiro" is that racist enough for you Tony cry about that

-Chihiro Jonesone
    Last edited by pacman2323; 19th October 2003 at 18:48.

Likes (received)

Just to interject.

NEGRO is not really offensive to most black pple. The OTHER 'N' word will get you in trouble.

Also all my times in Japan I never felt offended by GAIJIN. Then being a rather nice sized Kokujin I didn't really have problems from pple. (I know exactly what Bob Sapp is going through ) So if they where derogatory they wouldn't let it be known.
    LeTerian Bradley

There are no excuses on the mat, in the cage, or on the battlefeild! Train wisely!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by pacman2323
    Gaijin is not a racist word 80-90% of Japanese use it in everyday talk it simply means someone who is outside of Japan.I guess to be very polite we could use Gaikoku no hito.But for Tony since he complains about being called a Gaijin how about instead we call him "Shiro" is that racist enough for you Tony cry about that

-Chihiro Jonesone
    Read the whole thread....

Its been said that its normal for Japanese outside their own country to still use the term refering to natives of the particular country they are in and its ok. Even although they themselves are outside? Defies commons sense.

Yoji says there are good and bad ways of using it and quotes the dictionary a lot with the true meaning of English words.

But if only that were possible. I clearly recall the day that "gay" meant a happy person before it was bastardized by a certain group. Sadly the meaning of words change over the years although the dictionary quotes the original.

I some how feel that the non use of it would be a small step forward for Japan. But it will put a lot of people out of work!

Hyakutake Colin

P.s But Japanese like "shiro". Millions of people cover up every day. Women wearing arm protectors driving cars. Millions of silly hats. Because white is better. We don't want to look like our S.E.A neigbours do we?
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by pacman2323
    Once again, you miss the point completely. If I say I don't want to be called a gaijin, you mustn't use it. The choice is mine, not yours.

Ben Bartlett Guest

I'm what is refered to as libetarian, an closet rightwing conservative, according to raving lefties.
    Wow. Never have I seen libertarians, conservatives, and liberals insulted in one sentence, but boy, he managed it!

Libertarians are not "closet right-wing conservatives" (and actually, right-wing conservative is redundant). Tony basically has it right. Libertarians want less government, period. Thus they are conservative on economic issues, such as less regulation, less taxes, etc., and on a few social issues, such as gun control. On the other hand, they tend to agree with liberals on most social issues, such as gay rights, civil liberties, etc., because they think that the government should stay out of people's private lives. I don't agree with the libertarians on some things, but I have to give them credit for being consistent.

On a side note, I doubt many blacks would be thrilled with being called "Negros" either, although it is better than the other word.

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Asia
    Just to interject.

NEGRO is not really offensive to most black pple. The OTHER 'N' word will get you in trouble.
    Hey, LeTerian, haven't heard from you ina while.
    Outside of the clinical meaning (and when was the last time someone used "caucasian" in casual conversation?), "negro" is at the very least archaic.
    And why should "niggard" get me in trouble"?

Likes (received)

Once again, you miss the point completely. If I say I don't want to be called a gaijin, you mustn't use it. The choice is mine, not yours.
    LOL but that is what you are.Tell me how you are not a Gaijin in Japan,then tell other Japanese how you are not a Gaijin LOL.Like I said before if you do not like being called a Gaijin then how about Shiro.Shiro is like the racial word Cracker.
    I can see people getting upset about being called Shiro or Kuro maybe even Hakujin or Ame-kou.About Japanese using Gaijin when they are the one from another land you would have to be Japanese to understand

-Chihiro Jonesone

Kimpatsu Guest

You just don't get it, Chihiro. In England, I am not a gaijin. If you say I am, then the term is a racial one, and not acceptable. I'm glad you find it funny; you're a tyep 2 racist, and need better education.
    But i don't suppose you care about that.

Ben Bartlett Guest

I've actually only been called a gaijin to my face once while in Japan, and I have to admit, I did a double-take, although I wasn't particularly offended. That said, I know a lot of Westerners who do take offense to that term. If the Japanese wish to continue to use it, I don't think there's much to be done about it, but I hope they understand they ain't making many friends.

Btw, I just bothered to go back to the beginning of this thread, and noticed that the original poster greatly misunderstands something about English: simply shortening a word does not make it an insult. Calling someone a "Yank" or a "Brit" (as was asked about on another thread) is not an insult. The reason "Jap" is an insult is because it was used by Americans during WWII, and alludes to certain less-than-flattering portrayals of the Japanese people (to put it mildly). Its insulting nature is contextual, not lexical.

Of course, this is a long thread, so maybe someone covered that already, but I just thought I'd throw that in, just in case no one else had.

Kimpatsu Guest

Yes, it was mentioned earlier Ben, to howls of denial from certain quarters...

Likes (received)

Basicaly I think we are on a no go area here.

I spend a lot of time in other Asian countries. What I see there has to have some bearing on this.

Where I have my second home there are Swiss, Brits Italians Germans, Americans, Chinese, Koreans, you name it who all mix readily and happily apart from a few who's characters do not blend. Last but not least the Philipino, a thoroughly outgoing race who mix more readily than all.

Oh and I forgot the Japanese. They are the ones that squat outside a shop uptown (others including the locals use these things called chairs).

They rarely mix. Usually they walk about in a string of sempai, kohai sticking together to discuss how one manages to survive among the gaijin.

Sometimes you can hear them say they are going to "mix with the gaijin". The majority sit there in a condascending manner as if one has been priveliged to make their aquintance. Viewing everyone like a day trip to Disney and being thrilled and getting a Eikaiwa lesson into the bargain.

I truely wish things were more different but they are "Well outside of things" of their own choosing.

My wife who left them to join our world/worldly ranks some time ago. If people ask if she is Japanese, particularly other Japanese who seem to be rather puzzed as where she may come from she quickly lapses into some extremly fluent English and tells them that she is not! When they see how easily she mixes with the locals they are very easy to convinced.

This of course does not apply to all. But most of them anyway. A sad state of affairs.

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Kimpatsu Guest

Why shouldthis be a no-go area? Turning a blind eye to a problem doesn't make the problem go away. What's nedded here is to rasie the Japanese consciousness, the same way consciousness in the west has been raised to the unacceptablility of prejudicial terms against ethnic minorities or gays. "Gay" itself was a use coined to escape the derogatory "queer", "fag", and "homo". See, it can be done. The objective is to spread the meme.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast