Likes Likes:  0
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Gaijin - A derogetory term?

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Heat

Originally posted by Mekugi
    all the Americans are just noisy colonists from the U.K.
    That's right; colonists. You owe King George 250 years back taxes!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    Hey, LeTerian, haven't heard from you ina while.
    Outside of the clinical meaning (and when was the last time someone used "caucasian" in casual conversation?), "negro" is at the very least archaic.
    And why should "niggard" get me in trouble"?
    For some reason uncle sam has decided to block E-budo from work. Plus I been running around trying to prove I am still 19, semisuccessfully.
    LeTerian Bradley

There are no excuses on the mat, in the cage, or on the battlefeild! Train wisely!

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Heat

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    You're better off where you are, Yoji. And the best thing about Manchester? You're only 40 minutes from Liverpool!
    Now, a serious question: are there many Japanese people in Manchester and/or Liverpool? (I have a serious reason for asking, so no jokes, please.)
    To be honest, I don't really know because I no longer in touch with japanese community. I know of few but that's about it. As far as I know majority of Japanese are in London. There must be some Japanese students in the universities but Manchester or Liverpool is not the place where you find lots of Japanese.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Daruma
    Gaijin refers to people and not places, by this measure there would be nothing wrong with me calling all the Japanese around me gaijin(Foreign) from my perspective. But if you consider that in the context of the actual usage of the term then you will see how completely ludicrous it is.

Its not a matter of my being from another country. its a matter of not being Japanese this is where you miss our point. This is what Gaijin(Gaikokujin) differenciates between - Japanese and everyone else is not Japanese.

You don't mind if we call you gaijin do you Yoji? because well your not from the same place as me and you just said its OK to use it in this manner, but wait a minute i can't use it because i'm not Japanese...

The first line of your quote about sums it up

This of course is only if your Japanese.
    I have quoted the defintion of the word "foreign" from the dictionary. Defining the word foreing in term of the person's origin rather than the physical location seems to be the common usage in the most language.

Also, you can certainly refer to me as gaikokujin though if you are speaking in Japanese, deliberately ignoring the fact that I'm Japanese definitely make your verbal conversation appear forced. As of gaijin, I have thought about it. In fact, if non Japanese speak *perfect & natural* Japanese, they can get away with refering non British as gaijin. It would be extremly refreshing sight. But I haven't yet seen two foreinger making perfect Japanese conversation.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Kimpatsu Guest

What do you mean by perfect?
    And the whole point of two Englishmen referring to the Japanese as "gaijin" appearing forced underlines my point that your consciousness needs to be raised regarding what constitutes a foreigner.

Likes (received)

I refer to all my Japanese friends that are in outside of Japan as GAIJIN. They actually find it funny.

Still Mie's comment still rings in my ear.
    "Even in your own country you are still GAIJIN!"
    LeTerian Bradley

There are no excuses on the mat, in the cage, or on the battlefeild! Train wisely!

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Asia
    "Even in your own country you are still GAIJIN!"
    Which goes to prove my point about the need to raise the Japanese consciousness.

Likes (received)

I just thought she was mad because I didn't sleep with her.
    LeTerian Bradley

Kimpatsu Guest

I just thought she was mad because I didn't sleep with her.
    She'd be even more mad is she let you!

Likes (received)

She'd be even more mad is she let you!
    :toot

I hope you learned your lesson!
    LeTerian Bradley

Kimpatsu Guest

I hope you learned your lesson!
    Yes, Madam was very strict with me, as promised. She certainly knows how to punish naughty little boys. Thank you for recommending her.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18