Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Japan's CQC guru?

Likes (received)

Default Japan's CQC guru?

Personal Defense Systems seems to be a Japanese close quarter combat system based on part on Western fighting styles. Here is a copy of the advertisement from Hiden magazine.

Anyone have any info on this teacher or the art?
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Here is his bio:
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

Can anyone give us a brief synopsis of what that says? I damn near failed first year Japanese.
    Tony Manifold
    " Attack, attack, attack- come at your target from every possible direction and press until his defenses overload. Never give him time to recover his balance: never give him time to counter"
    Stover

http://members.shaw.ca/tmanifold

Likes (received)

Is this guy holding a knife in a reverse grip? Anyone seen this technique is Western CQC?
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

Originally posted by John Lindsey
    Is this guy holding a knife in a reverse grip? Anyone seen this technique is Western CQC?
    Don't know what that is-but the knife in reverse grip is part of Western CQC, depending on what "school" you are speaking of. It is covered in WWII combatives, ala Fairbairn, was a fairly extensive part of Echanis's method-which was hwarngdo and american kenpo based, and is part of "Hock" Hocheim's phillipino based methods.....
    ...as for the simultaneous knife and handgun deployment,no, I've never seen that before, but that doesn't mean very much.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

I meant in terms of holding a knife and a gun at the same time .
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

That knife/pistol technique I have seen used by police in South Africa for what the term "House Penetration" (room combat. The knife is held in reverse-grip, and the hands are back-to-back ala "Harries Position"
    Some of my colleagues over there have taken the concept into such areas as the female self protection situation. The knife/pistol combo gives very positive weapon retention capability
    Den

Likes (received)

Den, Good to see you here. Chime in whenever you want.
    Tony Manifold
    " Attack, attack, attack- come at your target from every possible direction and press until his defenses overload. Never give him time to recover his balance: never give him time to counter"
    Stover

http://members.shaw.ca/tmanifold

Hissho Guest

Likes (received)

Personally, I think it’s great to see the Japanese coming around and allowing citizens to protect themselves with personal firearms.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Hissho Guest

Originally posted by Walker
    Personally, I think it’s great to see the Japanese coming around and allowing citizens to protect themselves with personal firearms.
    Of course they are probably Airsoft....

Likes (received)

Being that I am not a total stranger to building clearing operations, but recognizing that it has been 20 years since my military days, I am intrigued by the use of the knife as illustrated. Ok, I can see how an individual may want to do this, but I would be worried about a 5 man team busting into a low lit room with drawn knives as illustrated. But, I am open to innovation since I am a dinosaur in the field of CQC. Heck, it was hard enough trying to keep our flintlock rifles working well…
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

Originally posted by elder999
    Don't know what that is-but the knife in reverse grip is part of Western CQC, depending on what "school" you are speaking of. It is covered in WWII combatives, ala Fairbairn, .
    Aaron, would you mind expanding on this?
    Cris Anderson

All my best ideas were stolen by the Ancients.

Likes (received)

Default Maybe a connection.

The following films are from http://strategosvideo1.com/.

1. The first show Mr. James Williams redirecting some attacks in a CQC scenario and, in some instances, uses a small knife during the defense.

http://strategosvideo1.com/videos/Stickredirects1.WMV

2. The second film shows Mr. Ken J. Good doing some weapons retention techniques.

http://strategosvideo1.com/videos/BasicHeadtips.WMV

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

You must be kidding Doug- the government gets more anal about private weapons ownership every year. Jap CQB courses would be only for govt departments or "security" companies fronting for groups of yakuza [can't penalise the bad guys.]. I can't imagine how he could get permits for real weapons but- if you've got enough money in Japan or better still, a politician on your side.........
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast