Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shin no Shindo ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Thanks Phil,

I am interested in your comments about Shortt, I was researching info on him and some others a few years ago when I was looking into a group called the International Military Combat Advisors Group (ICMAG) it was a European collective of martial artists, combatives instructors and para-medics who were trying to codify various training regimens as well as sell their skills.

I did recieve mixed reports on some of the members, but was told that much of it was 'professional jealousy' and 'inter-corps rivalry'.

If anyone has any info on ICMAG or any of its members, I am still interested.

Regards

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Likes (received)

Hi Neil,

I think Jim Shortt claimed instruction in Ryoi Shinto-ryu. Their website is http://www.ryoishintoryu.org/.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Default If I can help...

My name is Simon Lee
    recently changed my surname from Simon Lolley

I was taught Shino-Shindo by the late, great, Les Martin from 1986 onwards.

(I'm the skinny youngster, in need of a good hair cut, in his book)
    [wish I was still that age]

I have only just accidently stumbled upon this web site and Thread.

If I can still help with any ones questions I'd be glad to.

Simon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Lee View Post
    ........If I can still help with any ones questions I'd be glad to.

Simon
    Welcome aboard!

How about a recap of what you've been told of the history? This thread's been dormant for 5 years but might as well start someplace!

Regards,
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Lee View Post

...If I can still help with any ones questions I'd be glad to.

Simon
    Thank you very much for your offer of assistance. I am also interested in hearing any information that you can provide about the history of the art, particularly the last hundred years or so.

Can you provide any information about any existing links to teachers/schools in Japan?

Can you tell us anything about the current syllabus of the system of of the ranking structure used?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Hawkins View Post

If memory serves, James Shortt claimed to be from this school as well and wrote some history on it in his "Beginning Jiu Jitsu". Shortt was also from a strong military combatives background and may have learnt from the same instructional lineage, I don't remember. But there should be people still around in the UK who can clarify matters.

I wrote a review of "Ease of Restraint" some years ago but don't remember if it ever got published anywhere, I probably still have a copy if anyone is interested.

Regards

Neil
    Sad to say, Shortt has no legitimate connections with the UK Military except for a short spell (3 months) with the Territorial Army, after which he was discharged as "Services no longer required". he has NEVER served in the SAS or any other regiment or for that matter "Officially" trained any of HM Forces, to access more detail about his "Pedigree" I suggest you visit:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/.../t=109934.html

And

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/James_Shortt

In the cause of truth and openness I will admit I am a member on the aforementioned site and this is just one way of letting people know what you may find yourself involved in when coming into contact with Mr.Shortt.

If any instance of "Dubious" claims in the world of Martial Arts comes to light please let me know by PM I would be most appreciative.

Likes (received)

Also take a look at a sun article (Not a great newspaper but all the same)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2183915.ece
    James Stack

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by mixedmartialart View Post
    Also take a look at a sun article (Not a great newspaper but all the same)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2183915.ece
    I laughed my behind off reading that.

Likes (received)

I was told by some military friends of mine that he was a "Walter Mitty." I'm not sure what the name actually meant, but right after the name was mentioned they didn't say very good things about him.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler View Post
    I was told by some military friends of mine that he was a "Walter Mitty." I'm not sure what the name actually meant, but right after the name was mentioned they didn't say very good things about him.
    The 'pedia of all things wiki has this to say about Walter Mitty:
    Walter Mitty is a fictional character in James Thurber's short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", first published in The New Yorker on March 18, 1939, and in book form in My World— and Welcome to It in 1942. It was made into a film in 1947.

Mitty is a meek, mild man with a vivid fantasy life: in a few dozen paragraphs he imagines himself a wartime pilot, an emergency-room surgeon, and a devil-may-care killer. The character's name has come into more general use to refer to an ineffectual dreamer, appearing in several dictionaries.[1] The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Walter Mitty as "an ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs." [2] The most famous of Thurber's inept male protagonists, the character is considered "the archetype for dreamy, hapless, Thurber Man".[3]
    Seems to fit Mr. Shortt pretty well.
    If any instance of "Dubious" claims in the world of Martial Arts comes to light please let me know by PM I would be most appreciative.
    There is a lengthy thread on Ryoi Shinto Ryu with lot's of commentary on Shortt's claims reagrding budo here:http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...highlight=ryoi
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

One can only hope that the real warriors cycling back from the GWOT will cause the posers and Walter Mitty's on both the military and LE fronts to fade into the woodwork.

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Slightly OT, but I gotta say: Arrsepedia rocks.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

Arrse may be slightly OT, but look at how outrageously OT the claims by Shortt have been.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2