Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My High Cholestrol - 250 baby

Likes (received)

I read recently that a mediterranean diet is the most effective at reducing cholesterol levels: apparently to do with the high quantities of olive oil and garlic in their cooking - not that I'm advocating you change your entire diet, but giving your diet mediterranean influence, in conjunction with exercise etc. you may be able to eliminate any thought of medication entirely (with time and appropriate medical supervision, of course).

Just a thought.
    -------------------------
    --Daniel Pope

Likes (received)

Originally posted by corsarius
    I read recently that a mediterranean diet is the most effective at reducing cholesterol levels: apparently to do with the high quantities of olive oil and garlic in their cooking...
    There is a great deal of research to back that up.

And it's not just the olive oil and garlic; adding those to a diet made up of Big Macs and milkshakes wouldn't do much.

The meditteranian diet is high in complex carbohydrates like rice, bulghur, beans, and lentils, and low in fats, with most of those from olive oil. Vegetables outweigh meat on the plate by a considerable margin.

The Atkins people won't like it, but except for the Okinawan diet it's the healthiest known so far.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
    The Atkins people won't like it, but except for the Okinawan diet it's the healthiest known so far.
    "The Japanese government says the people of Okinawa live longer than the residents of any other city in the world thanks to their diet of stir-fried SPAM"

FYI.. http://members.tripod.com/okinawa_island/
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

"Seek out the middle of the two we's in I"

Likes (received)

Originally posted by gmlc123
    "The Japanese government says the people of Okinawa live longer than the residents of any other city in the world thanks to their diet of stir-fried SPAM"
    I love a good spoof. Too bad the authors of this one didn't know that Okinawa is a prefecture, not a city. Oh well, it's still funny.

For any who are actually interested, the book The Okinawa Program has an extensive section on the Okinawan diet, and easy to find substitutes for Americans.

The book is massive, and contains a lot of dry statistics and case study summaries; but if you can wade through it all there's a lot of good to be had.

Maybe someday I'll condense all the information, liven it up a bit, and write my own book to compete with Dr. Atkin's Diet Revolution. Maybe I'll get rich, too.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

For any who are actually interested, the book The Okinawa Program has an extensive section on the Okinawan diet, and easy to find substitutes for Americans.

The book is massive, and contains a lot of dry statistics and case study summaries; but if you can wade through it all there's a lot of good to be had.
    Brian,

How much fish do Okinawans actually eat--ie., how many times per week do they consume fish, and/or what percentage does it make up in their diet?

Thanks,

David
    David Black Mastro

"The Japanese are the most warlike people in this part of the world. They have artillery and many arquebuses and lances. They use defensive armor for the body, made of iron, which they have owing to the subtlety of the Portuguese, who have displayed that trait to the injury of their own souls." --Gonzalo Ronquillo de Penalosa, commenting on well-equipped wako in the Philippines, 1582.

Likes (received)

Margaret, Add some oatmeal to your diet. Leave out the processed sugars if you can't eat it plainand add honey. Seem to have helped me.
    Gary Chase
    Shoshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Nanban Bushi
    How much fish do Okinawans actually eat--ie., how many times per week do they consume fish, and/or what percentage does it make up in their diet?
    Wouldn't you know, I loaned the book to my sister.

I don't want to go out on a limb and make a potentially wrong guess so I can't say precisely, but I seem to remember that it was more than most Americans eat.

If I get the book back, or if I find a reference on the 'net or something, I'll try to remember to get back to you.

Originally posted by DYUSAN
    Margaret, Add some oatmeal to your diet. Leave out the processed sugars if you can't eat it plainand add honey. Seem to have helped me.
    I agree about oatmeal, disagree about honey. Honey is a processed sugar (levulose?), it was just processed by bees. Tastes good (to me, anyway), but has not been demonstrated to be "healthier" than sucrose (table sugar), AFAIK.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Brian,

Wouldn't you know, I loaned the book to my sister.

I don't want to go out on a limb and make a potentially wrong guess so I can't say precisely, but I seem to remember that it was more than most Americans eat.

If I get the book back, or if I find a reference on the 'net or something, I'll try to remember to get back to you.

I appreciate it--in the meantime, I'll Google around and see what I can find.

I agree about oatmeal, disagree about honey. Honey is a processed sugar (levulose?), it was just processed by bees.

Honey is actually composed of about 25 diffferent sugars, of which levulose is only one.

Tastes good (to me, anyway), but has not been demonstrated to be "healthier" than sucrose (table sugar), AFAIK.
    I would disagree, if only because it is known that honey has both antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Much like other foods that are antioxidants (green vegetables, red wine, etc), the power of honey is related to its color--ie., the darker the variety, the more powerful an antioxidant it is.

Don't get me wrong--honey is still sugar, and it should be used sparingly. Only about 100 years ago, the average Westerner consumed about 20lbs of sugar a year.

That number is currently a staggering 250lbs now!

Peace,

David
    David Black Mastro

"The Japanese are the most warlike people in this part of the world. They have artillery and many arquebuses and lances. They use defensive armor for the body, made of iron, which they have owing to the subtlety of the Portuguese, who have displayed that trait to the injury of their own souls." --Gonzalo Ronquillo de Penalosa, commenting on well-equipped wako in the Philippines, 1582.

Likes (received)

...it is known that honey has both antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Much like other foods that are antioxidants (green vegetables, red wine, etc), the power of honey is related to its color--ie., the darker the variety, the more powerful an antioxidant it is.
    True, which is why it doesn't go bad when left unrefrigerated for long periods. (Table sugar doesn't, because it doesn't contain significant amounts of water.)

However in order for a person to get a significant amount of the antioxidants, he would have to consume quantities of honey that would be unhealthy.

As part of a healthier diet, it it makes you feel better go for it, but considering the cost of honey vs. sugar (unless you have your own hives), I wouldn't sweat it. Best to cut back on all refined sugars.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

As part of a healthier diet, it it makes you feel better go for it, but considering the cost of honey vs. sugar (unless you have your own hives), I wouldn't sweat it. Best to cut back on all refined sugars.
    As I said, honey is still sugar, and so I concur with you on this overall issue.

Peace,

David
    David Black Mastro

Likes (received)

Default Live to 100

Thought some might find this an interesting read..

http://www.bcbsnm.com/haw/news/news04_live_to_100.htm
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

Mekugi Guest

Your uncle needs a medal.

Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
    You could try my uncle's method. He smoked three packs of unfiltered Camels per day for at least 40 years, drank significantly cheaper grades of booze than does Neil, and today, at 80, has a 60-ish girlfriend...
    BTW, Margaret, how much MSG do you eat? How about oils for cooking? Just curious.

Mekugi Guest

From gmlc's link

Goya: this bitter marrowlike vegetable, a mainstay of the diet, is said to be an aphrodisiac for men and has high levels of vitamin C. Western alternative: zucchini, marrow, or squash.
    There is no alternative to Goya. Goya Champo is SO the bomb.

Likes (received)

Default Goya

Here's another link to more info on Goya.. for those interested...

http://www1.ourtokushima.net/kankyou...2/goodgoya.htm
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

Likes (received)

Default Re: Live to 100

Originally posted by gmlc123
    Thought some might find this an interesting read..

http://www.bcbsnm.com/haw/news/news04_live_to_100.htm
    Wow, excellent site. Thanks Greg!

Good summary of the essentials.

And from that site came the answer to David's question:

"Freshly caught fish: eaten two or three times a week, it's a good source of omega 3 essential fatty acids."

They don't say what quantity, but it's probably 6 - 8 ounces per serving.

I also found this statistic to be interesting, and wonder how the Atkins fans and other carbophobes would react to it:

"Hunza inhabitants eat around 1,900 calories a day, including 50g protein, 36g fat (mainly essential fats of vegetable origin) and 354g carbohydrates."
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3