Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the Noble House kenjutsu

Likes (received)

Guy:

I have no idea what those guys are doing. However, it is quite obvious that they are rank beginners, especially the guy standing. This is not just because the guy in the crouch is in a position that I have never seen before (and I have seen a number of demos of pre-ZNKR, non-standardized ryuha kyudo/jutsu) but because their technique, specifically their tenouchi, is wrong. Clearly, they are not very expreienced. In addition to that, while they ave done hadanugi (removing the arm of the shooting hand from the kimono sleeve so that the sleeve does not interfere with the bowstring), the sleeves of their jiban (underkimono) are voluminous enough that they will interfere with the string, thus rendering hadanugi ineffective. The sleeve of the jiban is always removed together with the sleeve of the kimono.$B!!(B
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Guy:

To continue (I got cut off, damn this 15 minute editing window!):

Some people wear a second undergarment called a kosode (small sleeve) that looks like a plain keikogi with slightly longer-than-normal sleeves; the sleeve of this garment is not removed (it would be impossible to do it, anyway).

Anyway, the fact that they are offering instruction in kyudo/jutsu in spite of their obvious lack of familiarity with it leads me to suspect everything that they are offering. In addition, they just say some strange things in their spiel, like their obvious obsession with heirarchy.

Meik:

Regarding the question of which ideograms are used to write the name `Shinkage`, may I take your remarks to mean that the choice of ideograms may not necessarily have anything to do with whether or not the school in question traces its origin back to Kamiizumi Ise no Kami?
    Earl Hartman

Dark Protector Guest

Saitama Steve, Earl Hartman: Thanks for the link, and more feed back

gendzwil: Intresting. I'm hopping to visit the EKC Dojo either this week or next.

Anita D

Likes (received)

Default Re: I'm Not Sure ....

Originally posted by ghp
    Is that Yagyu mon? The one I'm familiar with is the two traveler's hats....I dunno about the banner -- that's a helmet's maedate with "Dragon" written in-between.
    Disregard my comment. I wasn't talking about the banner. I was talking about something else which I thought I had seen, but it wasn't on Noble House's site. My mistake, and my apologies.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Found this via google:

Some of his students later became the official sword masters to the Shogun's family. Many students later went on to form their own styles, but the original curriculum of the Shinkage Ryu survived. This particular style was handed down in an unbroken line from Kamiizumi Ise no Kami Fujiwara no Hidetsuna, 450 years ago, 22 generations down to the late Yamamoto, Yuji Sensei in the 20th century. The current sensei of the Shinkage Ryu taught by Noble House Kenjutsu Dojo, who now resides in Edmonton, trained under Yamamoto Sensei for over 20 years in Japan and is of the 23rd generation of swordsmen since the founder
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Some pals of mine in Edmonton [one of them a decent tsukamaki] went to check out Noble House a few years ago. They were not impressed with what they saw...people doing Iai and cutting with what were basically wallhanger swords and the like. I've never bothered to check it out myself, but I may have an opportunity in the new year. There's enough stuff on their website [and a great deal of what _should_ be on the website, but isn't] that fills me with doubt about this group. Nobody I've asked in Calgary [3 hours away] knows anything about them...admittedly this is a small group, but I'm fairly sure my Sensei would have at least an inkling if there was an established and genuine koryu group a few hours away....
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)

John:

I`m aware of what the Noble House claims on their site about their lineage; however, it is at odds with the lineage documented by the Yagyu family.

Meik can correct me if I`m wrong, but AFAIK, the original inkajo given to Yagyu Sekishusai by Kamiizumi Ise no Kami, which designates him as the sole inheritor of the school, is still in the posession of the Yagyu family.

And that, as they say, is that.
    Earl Hartman

Meik Skoss Guest

Yup. And I done seen it myself, wit' my very own eyes.

As far as Noble House goes, I'd have to see what they do with these same very own eyes, but having observed the various iterations of the website over the years... well... refer to my comments on the "Books
    That Suck" on the Bad Budo Forum.

There is a huge sucking noise (normally associated with Quebec) in the general area of Saskatchewan. It's not because of the kendo, iai or judo that's there. I'll leave it to y'all to discern exactly why.

Likes (received)

There is a huge sucking noise...in the general area of Saskatchewan
    Same noise as the one in Alberta that relates to the topic of this thread, right?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Meik Skoss

There is a huge sucking noise (normally associated with Quebec) in the general area of Saskatchewan. It's not because of the kendo, iai or judo that's there. I'll leave it to y'all to discern exactly why.
    And why would a huge sucking noise be associated with Quebec?

---
    Sebastien Leclair

Meik Skoss Guest

Oh, *that* Edmonton? And Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw are where? So, if Edmonton is in Alberta, what's in Saskatchewan? Toronto?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Meik Skoss
    Oh, *that* Edmonton? And Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw are where?

Medicine Hat is Alberta, Moose Jaw is Saskatchewan.

So, if Edmonton is in Alberta, what's in Saskatchewan? Toronto?

Besides a lot of wheat, hockey players, curlers and a few dozen kendoka there's two "major" cities - Regina and Saskatoon. They're both about 200,000 people. Edmonton is one of two major cities in Alberta (the other is Calgary). Toronto's in Ontario, about 3500 km away.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Originally posted by gendzwil
    [B]
    Besides a lot of wheat, hockey players, curlers and a few dozen kendoka there's two "major" cities - Regina and Saskatoon. They're both about 200,000 people. Edmonton is one of two major cities in Alberta (the other is Calgary). Toronto's in Ontario, about 3500 km away.
    Don't forget the rapeseed-I mean, "Canola."
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Originally posted by elder999
    Don't forget the rapeseed-I mean, "Canola."
    There's a sign near one of the northeastern farming communities that says "Land of Rape and Honey". It may have been taken down by the forces of political correctness now.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Meik Skoss Guest

Re: the possible removal, for reasons of political correctness, of a sign that says "Land of Rape and Honey," that'd be sad. The PC idiots just can't leave anything alone, can they?

Are you *sure* Toronto is in Ontario? I thought Ontario was in SoCal. I know Moscow's in Idaho and Rome is in Georgia. But isn't Georgia in the former U.S.S.R.? It's hard to keep all of the towns, rivers, and mountains straight in what, after all, must be classified as one of America's largest quasi-national parks, y'know (sigh...), but we *do* try. I'm sure glad we don't have to do it in both French and English, though. That'd be just TOO much, 'ey?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast