Likes Likes:  0

Thread: On studying tai chi and iaido at the same time

Likes (received)

Default On studying tai chi and iaido at the same time

For those who do both, is there a possible conflict between studying iaido and tai chi at the same time? I am currently doing Chen style tai chi twice a week and i think i can fit in iaido. The class meets once a week for two hours. Or will i end up learning neither well? Thanks.

Also, in case someone has an opinion, what about tai chi and hsing-yi also at the same time? Thanks again.
    Rizalino Catubig

MarioS Guest

I've studied swordsmanship and tai chi(also chen style) at the same time, still do infact. Neither of them have created conflicts in the opposite art so far. Infact it's quite the opposite. One has supplemented the other, there are certain benefits you can gain from both arts that can help you out. I've found a lot of basic principles and theories that are shared between both martial arts.

Likes (received)

Well, tai-chi is slow and iai-do is quick... Might give you a nice balance...

MarioS Guest

Well not exacly, it all depends on the style. Yang style contains all slow movments which focus on relaxation through them. It was derived from Chen style. Chen style on the other hand is I believe the oldest style and contains both fast and slow movments. If you ever get a chance to see a real Tai Chi student demonstrate some of the forms be sure to check it out. The Chen style Tai Chi Sword form is really intresting.

Likes (received)

There is no conflict in them. Just benefits for you. In both arts breathing is important, and disregarded by some. The challenge is to understand what is good in one to make you better in other and use it. If you think your martial art and not just practice it, things can go just upwards, not down the drain. And a big question will appear: how hard you want belts/ranks instead feeling good about your evolution in the art/s you train?