Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teruo Chinen

Likes (received)

Default Teruo Chinen

Was lucky enough to attend his seminar this past saturday. I really like this teacher. His explanation of Sanchin was very useful. Wonder if others have taken courses with him?

Mr. Chinen is formidable but no spring chicken. Does anyone know of teachers in the younger generation who have the credibility of these old guys?

M
    Last edited by Margaret Lo; 27th October 2003 at 19:04.

Likes (received)

Default Yes

Yes, but there is a Confucianistic attitude within traditional karate people that drives us to seek out instruction from the older wiser more venerable generation.

Are you looking for occasional instruction in Goju Ryu within driving distance? Or are you just looking for names in general?
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

In what style? Goju?

In Shito, there's Minobu Miki.
    I've had the opportunity to train with Koichi Choda, from Puebla Mexico. He was fantastic.
    I've heard good things about Akio Minakami, but I've not trained with him in karate. Just beside him in bojutsu.

Shorin Ryu, there's Toshihiro Oshiro.

Rob

Likes (received)

Default Re: Teruo Chinen

Originally posted by Margaret Lo

M
    Shouldn't that be "M-Lo?" Like J-Lo, but kicking A$$ ?

Rob

Likes (received)

Default Re: Non Asian instructors

Originally posted by Margaret Lo
    ...Does anyone know of teachers in the younger generation who have the credibility of these old guys?

M
    How about teachers that do not have Japanese names that are just as credible ( or more ) as their Japanese and Okinawian counterparts. People like to have a Japanese/Okianawian teacher because they think its cool. Sort of like the boy in the clothing forum that wants to spent $40+ on a black belt because 'it ages slowly and develops cool patterns'

If you want to learn good Goju Ryu and if she is still in Delware. I would hook up with a little American lady named Mary Roe. Awesome Goju Ryu Karate-ka.

Sidenote, Mr. Yuichi Kuda told a freind of mine that when his generation is all gone the Okinawians are going to have to start coming to North America to learn Okinawian karate. Not sure if he was being literal or if it was just his way of stating his disappointment with the current trends in Okinawa at the time.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Teruo Chinen

Originally posted by Rob Alvelais
    Shouldn't that be "M-Lo?" Like J-Lo, but kicking A$$ ?

Rob
    Actually my email is M_Lo. J-Lo can't kick b**t but she sure can dance. I was just curious as to who the next generation might be for goju ryu and for shotokan. I didn't say he or she had to be Japanese or Okinawan. In fact, one member of my club who trained in Japan since 1978 did say that his training in the US was a lot more traditional than his experienc in Japan.

M

Iron Chef Guest

Yes she is.

Iron Chef Guest

My first memories of Mary Roe was when we were working out in Champaign IL I think. Might have been Chicago. We were working SanDanGi. Mary Roe was paired with Eric Johnson. Me and Eric were both students of David Shaneman. Eric is a heavier than I am. His is about 220-230 all muscle. She scooped him and set him don't like a newborn baby. Mary might weigh maybe 105. Well I'm not good at guessing weight but she isn't very big.

Likes (received)

Ernie Brennecke, in Yakima, is someone to talk to about Chinen, as Brennecke sponsored Chinen into the US in the 1960s. Brennecke was one of Morio Higaonna's first American students (Brennecke was in the USAF in Japan), and one of the pioneers of Goju Ryu in the Northwest. He currently lives in Yakima. That said, most traditional karate in Central Washington is Shudokan, as taught by Morris Mack, rather than Goju Ryu.

To my knowledge, Bill Reuter was the Goju pioneer in Seattle and the Eastside. From Hawaii originally, Reuter was an Urban yudansha who later hooked up with Gosei Yamaguchi. Like Brennecke, he started karate while in the Air Force, and that was how he got to Washington. Reuter's wife Judy was also very talented.

Dick Daley was another early Goju Kai instructor in Seattle. Dick started with some of Richard Kim's people in the late 1950s, and subsequently trained with just about everybody in Seattle, from boxer Boone Kirkman to aikido's Bernie Lau. Dick taught at the Downtown YMCA and the University of Washington.

Duane Sammons, in Bellingham, is a student of Reuter's, as is Jim Henderson from the Eastside. Kregg Jorgenson and Dave Gunnarson were also students of Reuter and Daley.

In Isshin-ryu, Steve Armstrong was the karate pioneer in Tacoma, while in Renton, Jerry Gould was equally important. And yes, there was also Mad Dawg Steve Curran, but I think the name tells all you need to know about him.

Likes (received)

Default Mary Roe

If you want to learn good Goju Ryu and if she is still in Delware. I would hook up with a little American lady named Mary Roe.
    Now, Sensei Mary lives in Spokane and is training with Chinen Sensei.
    Lizzie W.

Likes (received)

I thought she lived 70 miles away.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    I thought she lived 70 miles away.
    Have you been to eastern Washington? Anything within 100 miles of Spokane might as well be called living there.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

She lives in Pulman too because she's a professor at Washington State University.
    Lizzie W.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth
    Ernie Brennecke, in Yakima, is someone to talk to about Chinen, as Brennecke sponsored Chinen into the US in the 1960s. Brennecke was one of Morio Higaonna's first American students (Brennecke was in the USAF in Japan), and one of the pioneers of Goju Ryu in the Northwest. He currently lives in Yakima. That said, most traditional karate in Central Washington is Shudokan, as taught by Morris Mack, rather than Goju Ryu.

To my knowledge, Bill Reuter was the Goju pioneer in Seattle and the Eastside. From Hawaii originally, Reuter was an Urban yudansha who later hooked up with Gosei Yamaguchi. Like Brennecke, he started karate while in the Air Force, and that was how he got to Washington. Reuter's wife Judy was also very talented.

Dick Daley was another early Goju Kai instructor in Seattle. Dick started with some of Richard Kim's people in the late 1950s, and subsequently trained with just about everybody in Seattle, from boxer Boone Kirkman to aikido's Bernie Lau. Dick taught at the Downtown YMCA and the University of Washington.

Duane Sammons, in Bellingham, is a student of Reuter's, as is Jim Henderson from the Eastside. Kregg Jorgenson and Dave Gunnarson were also students of Reuter and Daley.

In Isshin-ryu, Steve Armstrong was the karate pioneer in Tacoma, while in Renton, Jerry Gould was equally important. And yes, there was also Mad Dawg Steve Curran, but I think the name tells all you need to know about him.
    Curran started with Frinkleton(sp?), who was the WKA Tacoma branch sensei in the 70s. What about Thiry and Minakami?
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Alvelais
    ...I've heard good things about Akio Minakami, but I've not trained with him in karate. Just beside him in bojutsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerof0ne
    ...What about Thiry and Minakami?
    I trained briefly with Julius Thiry in the early '80s, and with Minakami Shihan occasionally.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Minakami's dojo to anyone wanting top notch training in Shito Ryu. (Plus, there's a good sushi restaurant just around the corner on Lake City Way.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast