Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hojojutsu (tying arts)

Likes (received)

There are few methods for securing the legs, but often they are left free so that the prisoner can be led to where ever.

All the methods I have seen are tied seperately after the torso and arms are secured, this is so that they can be easily removed to move the prisoner.

There are a couple that have the prisoner lying down, and a few that have him seated, most that I have seen only really tie one leg, either leaving the other free, or relying on one leg to bind the other.

Acouple of simple ones.

If the free end of the cord is at the front of the prisoner make him sit cross-legged and simply tie the lower ankle after passing the rope inside the upper knee. This effetcively stops the other leg from being disentagled and keeps the prisoner in a sitting position.

If the free end of the rope is at the back, lie the prisoner on his face and place the left ankle behind the right knee, then bend the right leg back and tie the right ankle to the left thigh, if tied tightly enough this is both extremely uncomfortable and restrains both legs, otherwise just tie the one leg a little more loosely which prevents escape but does allow the prisoner to sleep.

Hope this helps.

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Bugei-Ki Guest

Default Hojo Jitsu

Sorry for the delayed reply guys, i was away in eire for the weekend.
    Thanks for all your help very useful but keep it coming as i need all the help i can get. Does anyone have any info on the Enshin Ryu style of swift rope useing the Sageo?

Adam Lindop
    signature to come soon

Likes (received)

Hello,
    you mean something like this ?

This was taken from the book "zukai hojojutsu" by fujita seiko. It lists a series of these techniques.

hth
    Karsten

Bugei-Ki Guest

Unusuall never seen these types of Hojo before, although the swift rope of Enshin Ryu that i have seen used only the Sageo, apparently the sageo of this school is longer than that of others and was removed from the Kurigata before the sword was placed in the belt, it was rolled up and placed about the person of the user in order to be easily accessible for tying up the prisoner. would you be able to confirm which school the Hojo in your picture came from as i feel that this would be worth more investigation?

Adam Lindop

Likes (received)

Hello,
    this particular part is from the Ichidenryû 一傳流. Because of some pc trouble I cannot supply more pics or info until monday.
    I will try to fix asap. Stand by

Karsten

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

I don't know about using the sageo for binding tho I suppose its a possiblity. In the form of Kumdo that I practice the cords are swaged across the abdomen and fastened to the waist of the dob bok with a slip knot. I can imagine that if one were to take a prisoner with a lock or pin that can be maintained one-handed it might be possible to undo and use the sageo.

BTW: Sensei Don Angier demonstrates a cord carry in his video tape that includes rifting the cord into a neat bundle and carrying it in the sleeve of the uniform. The arm is passed through a pre-set loop. Apparently the application is that a person might be subdued and held with a single hand-grip as the loop is fed down the arm over the lock and to the persons' wrist to initiate the binding. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

I have not seen the video by Mr.Angier, but the attached picture may be a similar waza. (Hopefully, it attached)

Regards,

F. D. Smith
    FDS

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Yep, thats the idea.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

I have been told, and I can't remember at present who it was, that the shorter ropes used were the cords used to tie the sleeves of the Kimono back, these cords (they have a name which also escapes me at present) were often old sageo or made of the same material and so were confused with the actual sageo which usually woudn't be removed from the saya.

I have not seen anything like the ties with the sageo complete with sword shown above, and am intrigued, though I would suggest that you would use the captives sword or sageo if you were doing this.

Regards

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Likes (received)

The cord used to tie back the sleeves is called a tasuke. Sometimes a sageo was used as a tasuke when nothing else was available and the sleeves needed to be out of the way. Tasuke were not only used to tie the sleeves back for fighting but also when doing chores. Housewives would use then when cleaning around the house and cooking etc.

There are simple ties that can be performed with either the sageo or a tasuke... or the sageo when being used as a tasuke. We have a simple method of removing the tasuke and tying a loop in it for begining a tie, all done with one hand so that you can hold the captive with the other.
    Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

Likes (received)

Hello,

Richard Eilas wrote:

"The cord used to tie back the sleeves is called a tasuke."
    Actually, unless the word "tasuke" is a local dialect version of the word that I am not familiar with, I believe it is incorrect.

In Japanese the commonly used word for the cord used to tie up the sleeves of a kimono is a "tasuki" (æF).

Regards,

Ron Beaubien
    Last edited by Ron Beaubien; 23rd November 2003 at 11:54.

Likes (received)

Well, not being fluent in Japanese I cannot dispute your pronunciation of "tasuki" as opposed to "tasuke", other than to say that every reference I have found and persons I have spoken to have pronounced it as "tasuke".
    Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

Likes (received)

Difficulties with Japanese language terms seems to be one of the inherent problems of learning traditional Japanese arts outside of Japan when one's teacher is not a native Japanese speaker or hasn't been a long term resident of Japan. When I practiced karate in the US we had the same problem, despite still being an official branch school of a Japanese organization based in Tokyo and training with our Japanese teachers regularly.

Here are some commonly used English language and rather authoritative sources which render the word as "tasuki" (æF) below that may be of use to you:

• Dalby, Liza. Kimono Fashioning Culture. London: Vintage 2001, 169.

Japan An Illustrated Encyclopedia. Tokyo: Kodansha, 1993, 1530.

Nelson, Andrew. The New Nelson Japanese-English Character Dictionary. Rutland: Tuttle 1997. Character # 5512.

Masuda, Koh. Ed. Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary. Fourth Edition. Tokyo: Kenkyusha 1974, 1747.

Less reliable, but online English language sources for Japanese words used in kimono and sumo that can be used for a quick check, also listed the cord for tying up the sleeves as "tasuki" as well:

"Tasuke" (?•‚¯) is the shortened form of the verb "to help."

Best,

Ron Beaubien

Bugei-Ki Guest

Apparently the Sageo in Enshin Ryu was removed before combat and held in the clothing and when the opponent was pinned to the floor was removed and used to provisionaly tie them up, i.e: arms,leg, head in such a manner that an attempt to move could result in extreme discomfort or even the prisoner choking to death. as soon as i have more information i will post it.

Adam Lindop

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

I understand that the Metropolitan police still carry a cord rifted-up in their chest pocket and are trained in using it to restrain individuals. Does anyone have any information on this?

BTW: I am familar with the idea of swordsmen tying their sleeves back and wonder what proponents of spear and staff work did? Anyone?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast