Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Is weapon trainng practial?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 75.76%
  • No

3 9.09%
  • Don't use a weapon

1 3.03%
  • Don't care

4 12.12%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Trainning?

Likes (received)

Question Weapon Trainning?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this?

Do you think weapons trainning in todays age practial?. My sensei teaches the sais, bo and chucks. The cucks are not legal in my state, so I don't see the point. The sais and bo are legal. So if I used them to defend myself from a attacker I wouldn't be breaking any laws. But honestly would you carry those weapons if you could? If not, why train in them?

Just a thought.

p.s I think the sais would be the best choice if I carried a weapon. There could to defend agaisnt a knife. And you can concle them easliy.
    Train hard and you shall get what you trained for...

Aaron Young
    Shotokan

Mekugi Guest

One person, any weapon.

-Russ

Gene Williams Guest

They aren't "chucks", they are nunchaku. They aren't "sais", they are sai...no plurals in Japanese. What do you mean by practical? I find the bo to be very practical because you can find a stick almost anywhere. The rest are practical if you happen to have them,but mostly you wouldn't. I think anything that teaches you hand eye coordination, body movement, and combat strategy is practical.

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Find a stick anywhere?? Try it on a nightclub dance floor or a dark alley. Don't get me wrong, I love training in old weaponry [Japanese and Filipino] and completely agree about the benefits you mentioned but I've heard the "can find anywhere" thing before and its just not true. Your karate will be of more use to you. I've been in the poo neck deep and there wasn't a stick to be found for love nor money.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Default weapons

I know they are called nunchaku, but some people call them chucks. I didn't know that their are no plurals. I know that the bo is practial for the reason you stated.. But honestly what are the chances of you finding a stick if you get into a fight? Unless you are in a bar. Then you would have acess to a pool stick.

But the sai is slim. I have a pair but I never think about bringing with me when me and my buddies go out. Even though when we go to the bar on monday nite football. The sai would be more practial in a bar fight than a bo, because of the small space in a bar...

Aaron Young
    Shotokan

Gene Williams Guest

Originally posted by Jock Armstrong
    Find a stick anywhere?? Try it on a nightclub dance floor or a dark alley. Don't get me wrong, I love training in old weaponry [Japanese and Filipino] and completely agree about the benefits you mentioned but I've heard the "can find anywhere" thing before and its just not true. Your karate will be of more use to you. I've been in the poo neck deep and there wasn't a stick to be found for love nor money.
    I said "almost" anywhere

Likes (received)

Two things to consider here:

1) Carrying sai (or nunchuka, or similar weapons) around with you. If you are so unwise as to do this, expect to be charged with carrying a concealed weapon. If you USE your weapon, expect to be charged with ADW (assault with a deadly weapon). Even if you are in the right, you will have to prove it.

2) Weapons are all over the place. All you have to do is learn to look for them. My first sensei was a firm believer in improvised weapons...we trained with the traditional weapons, but were expected to be able to improvise something at ANY given moment.

Examples: Tightly rolled newspaper will make an excellent escrima stick, club, or blunt spear. Cocktail swizzle stick works as a dagger (to soft tissue areas). Pool ball rolled in a towel (a la Steven Seagal) does work as a morning star (but be VERY careful), etc etc etc.

Training with traditional weapons teaches you the concepts and processes of using a weapon. Thats all it does...the rest is up to you.
    Ron Rompen
    Goju Ryu
    Kitchener, Ont

Iron Chef Guest

Default Re: weapons

Originally posted by shotofan
    I know they are called nunchaku, but some people call them chucks. I didn't know that their are no plurals.....
    I don't know maybe there are plural sounds. All I know comes from listening to my teachers speak. When sensei talks about a single sai he says sai. When talking about more than one he would say what sounds like Zai. 2 sai sounds like Ni Cho Zai 3 sai sounds like San Cho Zai. A single kama is kama but when used as plural it sounds like gama. 2 kama sounds like Ni Cho Gama. Again this is from conversation I don't really understand the technical aspects of the language ( same or different kanji, dialectic considerations....) I just know what I think I hear.

But the sai is slim. I have a pair but I never think about bringing with me when me and my buddies go out. Even though when we go to the bar on monday nite football. The sai would be more practial in a bar fight than a bo, because of the small space in a bar...
    I don't advocate carrying concealed weapons on your person and you shouldn't do it. Hypothetically let's say you are a musician and you play in some rough honky tonks and you were to consider carrying something on you for weird reason. The weapons that come to mind for me are Chizikunbo and Bali Song knife. The knife could be very useful. You could partically repair any thing in a band with duct tape and a knife.

Likes (received)

Default Weapons

In TKD I was shown the use of a knife, it was a formal kata that used rolling and checking actions (useful) with some kicking (not so useful). A friend who was in Ishin Ryu also taught me what he knew of proper use of nunchaku.

In karate I was shown the use of the Bo (two kata) and one kata for Sai. I never took Sai seriously. Bo was more useful.

The use of weapons only strengthens your karate, the use of proper stance and footwork is accelerated in weapons work. Weapons can kill you much more easily than empty handed work (wood and metal are always harder than bone and skin), so you learn to move more smoothly and nimbly as a result. If you have been shown proper dynamics, the transition between empty hand and weapons is fairly easy. If your stuff is too square and stiff, then the use of weapons will be foreign and will conflict with your karate.

As for weapons on your person, I think that one should try to always have a good ball point pen, a pocket full of change, and/or a small legally sized folding blade. These three items are great to have in a variety of situations that range into the upsetting and nasty variety. Some friends of mine also fancy the Surefire tactical flashlights.
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

n2shotokai Guest

What do you mean by practical? IMO a bo or jo is very practical (broom stick). Sai, nunchaku, tonfa, kama are effective but for obvious reasons not practical for out on the street defense.

I find a katana to be very effective and practical. A few months ago a guy came in the dojo with his live katana and gave it to me to check out. I commented how nice it was etc. and handed it back. He insisted I try it out. I did my best Miyamoto Musashi imitation and it cleared out that whole end of the dojo. It was very effective and practical for clearing a space for me to work out that night.

I study kobudo because I enjoy it. The only weapons I seriously consider for practical reasons are bo and jo.

Likes (received)

Post Weapons

I understand that if I carried a weapon like the sai and so forth, I would probbly be looked at as a crimal. Even if I used it for self defense. I under stand the use as a tool to improve your karate. But my sensei teaches us like we would use them in a fight.
    What sucks is that I love the sai. I think (for me any way) is a very practal weapon to have with you. Easy to carry. Not conceled, but as self defense weapon. But socity would find falut with it.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing agasnt carring a gun (with a licnce) , but it is legal but if I carried a weapon like a sai most people would take a double take. Having the sai people would think I was looking for a fight. But the gun as self defense.
    Does that make sense?

Sorry about the bad spelling..

Aaron Young
    Shotokan

Likes (received)

Default Teaching

Aaron,

Not fully understanding what you mean when you talk about your teacher showing sai as if you were in a fight, I would have to say that a good kobudo teacher should teach exactly this way. Weapons mean life or death. If you don't show this in your teaching (the seriousness of it), then you are only teaching form and dance. This is the problem with most martial arts these days, at least in America. At some level instructors are not instilling the deadly seriousness of martial arts practice into their students.

What this does not mean is talking about the "bad guys" being out to get you in every shadow and perpetuating the ridiculous fear of violent crime that most Americans have (an unfounded fear). What it does mean is that martial arts is about harming and killing if the techniques are taking to their logical extensions. So, practicing martial arts is like handling a loaded gun, and there better be a recognition of this by the instructor and the students.

Having said this, it is not necessary to be somber all the time. However, a sai is a metal pointy thing that can easily maim or kill. It was designed to kill, practice with it as if you are killing or maiming. That way, you understand the seriousness of what you do.
    Glenn R. Manry

---Iaijutsu, don't forget the doorman.

Likes (received)

Default Weapons

What I meant was that if I really cant use them on the street, why pratice like I do use them on the street? Like I said before, if I did use them people would think I planed on getting in to a fight because I had them on me.

Aaron Young
    Shotokan

Likes (received)

Default Re: Weapon Trainning?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this?

The cucks are not legal in my state, so I don't see the point.
    Just a thought.
    Depends, what is exactly is a cucks ?
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default weapons

nunchuka

Aaron Young
    Shotokan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast