Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remember Jiraya?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default Remeber Jiraya?

While cleaning out my house I came across a box full of old videos. ONe of them was an old video of the Jiraya shows. Though it was a kids's TV show, there are a few interesting moments. Hatsumi does a great job acting as Yamaji Tetsuzan. I think the best episode is the one with Muramatsu and the other shihan. There are more than a few kuden shown in that one...
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

On my first trip to Japan, we visited Sensei. He showed us a Jiraya tape, but it was dubbed in French, as he didn't have an English dub handy. It was kinda funky to watch a Japanese show dubbed in French.
    Mike Cooper

Likes (received)

Hi

I have several of these shows on video in Japanese.

But early this year a french site was uploading several episode. I managed to get I think 3 of them before they stoped doing them

John are you talking about the episode when Muramatsu is the leader of a group of Yogakure Ryu Ninja, He is wearing a gold jacket. All the shihan are there Manaka, Oguri, seno, Noguchi, to just name a few.

there then follows several scenes when they are training with Jiraiya, using kyoketsu, fishing net, bisento. Excellent show
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; temporarily in Bristol, UK
    Likes (received)

Jiraya was very popular around here in the late 80's and early 90's. The whole series was shown on TV over and over on a daily basis. When I hear or read people from Europe or North America comment the show it makes me think that the popularity Jiraya achieved in Brazil was unique. It was huge here. Anyway, I only knew about its connection with the Bujinkan not long ago.
    Sidarta de Lucca

Likes (received)

Default Would like to see...

I have read about this series and keep hearing stories about it...
    The question I got is where can copies of it be obtained?
    -J. McFadden

Likes (received)

Default Re: Would like to see...

Where I live I do not think it would be too hard to otain the copies. There are many fans who trade those tapes. Second hand VHS stores are also a good place too look.

50 episodes were made, of which from #1 to #32 were released on VHS here. The whole 50 episodes were shown on TV, though.

Since apparently you have difficulties finding it maybe you could try ebay or similar sites. I have just checked and found a few people who sell it (in Portuguese) in the local bidding websites.

But keep in mind that it was a very low-tech TV show designed for children. A pretty funny one, though. It is more like a superhero TV show rather than one about ninjutsu.

Originally posted by Jeramis
    I have read about this series and keep hearing stories about it...
    The question I got is where can copies of it be obtained?
    Sidarta de Lucca

JamesGarcia Guest

Default Hehehe...

I was Jiraiya's first teacher. hehe...

I was doing a one on one class with Shiraishi Sensei at his house one night and surprise, surprise... who comes knocking on the door but Hatsumi So'ke and some kid. Turns out he is about to embark on a new Television show and this kid is the star. Hatsumi Sensei wanted Shiraishi Sensei to teach him Ukemi for his first class, but since I was there, Sensei asked me to teach him a Zenpo'Kaiten... If you want to talk about pressure, imagine having to teach a basic form in front of your So'ke...

Needless to say, the first time I saw the first show, Jiraiya does a front roll on concrete... I can honestly say, "Hey! I taught him that!"

Likes (received)

Great story Jamie!

BTW, I found and old video of you doing a seminar in Houston, right after your Japan trip I think. Thats the one in which you talk about the guy from Canada who asked Hatsumi S. how to wipe his eye when he has shuko on...

Oh, and I have another video of you and Chuck training at General Dynamics....
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

JamesGarcia Guest

Default Hehehe...

Yeah, I have those videos of my seminars...

That always makes me think of your sword and that trip. Hatsumi Sensei had shown alot of Ninja Iai and you wanted me to show it but you didn't have any demo swords except for your newly acquired antique Katana. So I performed them with your sharp sword, the whole time thinking of Sensei saying, watch your chin here, or your ear here or your leg here... Check out the speed I was using... NO FEAR BABY!!! Then that night after we got drunk, you ended up slicing your wife's new Futon... I remember thinking... That could have been my leg and Chuck, my teacher would have killed me... Heehee... Those were the days...

Oh... and the bald canadian that asked the embarrassing questions... his last name was Cearley I think??? Very nice guy, but asked some weird questions, that everyone would think was stupid, and then Hatsumi Sensei would surprise us with amazing answers that ended up teaching us more than we could have imagined.

Ricardo Guest

Exclamation Jiraya Download in portuguese

Hi all,

my first post, a download link to the Jiraya series in portuguese.
    Please, remember that you can only keep the series for 24 hours on your computer. Serie nr. 13 is the one, with the Shihans.

http://www.retrotoku.cjb.net/

Enjoy it !!!

Ricardo

Likes (received)

Default Re: Jiraya Download in portuguese

One more to testify the high popularity Jiraya reached around here! In a time I do not remember having seen anything related to the Bujinkan around.

I think the show would still be on if the TV network that used to exhibit it had not gone bankrupt. Too bad.

That website is a cool piece of work. Mr McFadden, if you do not mind not understanding the language, maybe you should download at least one episode in Ricardo's website.

Ricardo, I hope you do not mind but I will post the link that shows the place in which the episodes are located otherwise those who cannot understand Portuguese may be pretty lost in there. If you think I would rather not, please tell me and i willedit my post and erease it. So, here it is:

http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/re...pcompletos.htm

Originally posted by Ricardo
    Hi all,

my first post, a download link to the Jiraya series in portuguese.
    Please, remember that you can only keep the series for 24 hours on your computer. Serie nr. 13 is the one, with the Shihans.

http://www.retrotoku.cjb.net/

Enjoy it !!!

Ricardo
    cheers!
    Sidarta de Lucca

Likes (received)

Default Thanks

I went ahead and downloaded the first show and now I have to see #13...I will get to watching that one later.
    Pretty poor quality, couldn't understand a word they said, but I did get to see it

This was a fun show. Since my son really enjoys this "genre" of TV shows here in Japan, we watched it together, and he loved it. As an added bonus for me, it is always a treat to see Soke in action.

I am now on a quest to try to find some better copies of these but I greatly appreciate the link for the opportunity to check these out.
    -J. McFadden