Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New pics for The Last Samurai released

Likes (received)

Default New pics for The Last Samurai released

Warner Bros. has released 44 new pictures from the Tom Cruise film, The Last Samurai, coming to theaters on December 5.

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/im...e_Last_Samurai
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Oh no, NINJA!
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

If anything, the costuming and set design look interesting. I'm not expecting a whole lot, but I could think of worse ways to blow 9 bucks, so I'll probably check it out. Who knows, with Tom Cruise in it, maybe I can even get the wife to come with.
    Pete Knox

Likes (received)

Originally posted by John Lindsey
    Oh no, NINJA!
    And he's in Hakama too! Is he Genbukan, John? I don't think he was at the last Tai Kai.
    Pete Knox

Likes (received)

It's the part of the movie where the heros valiantly fight off an attack by the dreaded Black Dragon Kabuki Society. Only minutes later after they run away, Tom is menaced by a rather scruffy takoyaki seller.

J. Vlach, Amsterdam

Likes (received)

Thanks for the link John. I can't wait to see this movie.
    Scott Laking
    BushinJuku.com

Likes (received)

Generally, I absolutely loathe Tom Cooze (AKA "Mr. Frozen-Evil-Grin-Paranoid-Scientology-Dwarf") but I'm gonna watch this one. The armor and sets look pretty good, and there promises to be a lot of chop-socky fu.

Also, it's always really funny to see how absolutely wrong most foreign directors get Japan. This looks like another version of that old standard:

"Materialistic Westerner Bereft Of Spiritual Values Finds Wa in Ye Olde Mystique East Via Learning How To Kill People Real Good With Secret Spiritual Warrior Arts and Having Lots Of Hot Sex With Exotic Japanese Babe".

So it should be fun.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

A few links, in case you haven't seen them:

The Last Samurai - IMDb

...and just in case you didn't see this (John L posted it some time ago), the real last samurai:

Real Samurai 01

Real Samurai 02

Look for 'jasonvorhees666666' and his posts.

By far the funniest thing since 'Bonsai Kitten'...
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Some Japanese movie critics were talking about the film. Though they hadn't seen it yet, they were personal friends of some of the main Japanese actors in it. I guess the actors said this movie was "the real thing". I know actors have to talk up the movie they are in, but according to these critics, these particular actors don't do that. Anyway, the sets and costumes are cool, and I can finally enjoy a samurai movie in my own language!
    Scott Laking
    BushinJuku.com

Likes (received)

FWIW, Mr. Cruise's costar is on the cover of Black Belt this month.
    Pete Knox

Likes (received)

"Materialistic Westerner Bereft Of Spiritual Values Finds Wa in Ye Olde Mystique East Via Learning How To Kill People Real Good With Secret Spiritual Warrior Arts and Having Lots Of Hot Sex With Exotic Japanese Babe".

Sounds like fun (especially the last bit)! Where can I join?
    Hugh Wallace

A humble wiseman once said, "Those who learn by the inch and talk by the yard should be kicked by the foot."

Likes (received)

Well, the entertainment industry gossip columnist in my local fishwrap (the SF Chronicle) was gushing about the flick, so it's probably gonna be pretty bad. But I'm going to see it anyway. Too much Samurai Fu to miss, and it looks like the production values are good.

While we 're on the subject of massive battle scenes, only a month until the King Returns. I don't know about you guys, but I know where I'm spending my winter vacation. In the theater with my a** glued to the seat.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

The central character isn't named Blackthorne is he?
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Default Last Samurai a/k/a Dances with Ninjas

Earl
    I don't know if I can bring myself to see it. It has all my fav bits, beautiful blades, authentic looking outfits, lots of armour, hot babes too, can overlook Crude Cruise but its sooo offensive on so many levels.

Struggle, struggle..... well if my students want to go...

M

Likes (received)

Margaret:

The "offensive" part, to me, is the presence of La Cooze, but I assume you have something else in mind. If I may speculate, does it perhaps go something like this?

It is offensive that Asia and Asians (especially hot Asian babes), are, once again, going to be used as exotic backdrops against (and upon) which the Heroic White Guy Proves His Manhood.

If so, I can dig it, but, like I said, too much armor, too many swords, and too much blood to miss.

Also, archery is featured prominently, so I really have to see it for professional reasons. I actually got a call from a casting agent connected with the film looking for a kyudo archer. Immediately I'm fantasizing ("Why, yes, I am a licensed kyudo teacher. What's that? You need someone to instruct Mr. Cruise in kyudo? Why, yes, I would be interested in this....What? You need me to report to the set in Kyoto right away for six months? Yes, I think that can be arranged....").

However, they had no use for a white guy; they were looking for a Japanese guy to play a part in the film and he needed to know how to shoot a bow. One of our members in Seattle actually sent in his resume and a photo, but he was not chosen. I heard that Cruise "studied" kyudo with somebody in Kyoto for the film, but if he "studied" kyudo like he "studied" swordplay (as evidenced by that silly video where he is shown "teaching" Catie Kouric how to use a sword) I'm not too hopeful.

Also, does anybody know the actress who plays Cooze's main squeeze? I've never heard of her, and she seems to go by a single name, which is really odd.
    Earl Hartman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast