Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Swordwork and "The Last Samurai"

Likes (received)

Luckily for all you guys I AM a samurai, so any questions welcomed...Apart from the pony tail on top of my bald patch, I'm a bit touchy about that.

Gas hoe
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

cool.... so are you allowed to kill peasants if they offend you??
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Rogier
    cool.... so are you allowed to kill peasants if they offend you??
    Only if they touch my broom handle...then I will challenge them to a duel at dawn underneath the slide in the park.

Gus hu

Mekugi Guest

Are you paid in sea-salt for your services?

Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
    Luckily for all you guys I AM a samurai, so any questions welcomed....

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Mekugi
    Are you paid in sea-salt for your services?
    No, I accept the usual fee, 10,000 ryo...I do the deed and then carry on, pushing my son, Digaro in his cart.

Cheers

Likes (received)

Default But you missed

The best part of those talks on the other board.

The part where he breaks down and says .. and I quote.."god I hate you guys"

or in the second posting where the real samurai defends questions about his age and job status with the defiant words "im not a kid,.. Im 28.. and I do have a job.. and pretty soon Ill have my own place too."

Oh yea.. both of those were office chair ejection seats for me.. ROFLMAO !!
    Keven Cecil
    Iaika
    Musu Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu
    www.whiteherondojo.net

Likes (received)

Default Re: But you missed

Being a real life samurai does that mean when working at the office and you get caught Xeroxing your butt cheeks that you'll have to impale yourself on your own sword for the dishonor?
    ...or...

Recently I heard the saying: "Often, silence is the best answer". I will refrain from the wisdom in that statement by calling you an idiot.
    Fantastic. Didya know that he's still replying to the 'Seven Samurai' board (see link above). I'm gonna invite him over...

Back in a while....
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Mekugi Guest

<bump> coming out on the 6th in my corner of the world. Rumor has it that Tokyo is already waching special previews.

-Russ

Likes (received)

"I am a Scientologist and I can strongly identify with the values of honor, loyalty and compassion. Those are wonderful things to aspire to in life."

Tom Cruise, extoling bushido[...]
    Scientology is so like Bushido...
    --Leonardo Boiko

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Rogier
    I'm going to quit my job as an accountant and become a full time samurai... btw does that mean I can cut down peasants in the streets if they offend me???
    No, you have to move to the states if you want to do that...
    Iain Richardson, compulsive post-having cake eater-wanter.

"He shoots first who laughs last."
    - Alexsandr Lebed,

shinwa Guest

If he was genuinely touched by what he learned during the making of this movie, more power to him. If it leads to extensive study, right on.

Likes (received)

I happened to put on the TV yesterday to find a 1986 movie showing called The Colour of Money. Pual Newman, Mr Cruise etc.

He did some fancy twirling with a pool cue. Seeing it I thought "Hang on a minute, I have seen that before. It was of course on the link at the start of this thread. Of course its not a pool cue in his hand. But's its the same unmistakeable twirly wirly action.

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Iain
    No, you have to move to the states if you want to do that...
    Aw come on! I almost had my in-the-US Cuban cigar kicked out of my mouth by a Capoeistra in Vancouver doing a street demo while I was on a business trip. Never had to worry about THAT in the good ole' US of A!

(I kinda like the cut down the peasants thing tho... especially in the line at Starbucks <g>!)

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Likes (received)

Default Preferences

Guys, your senses of humour are for the most part beyond my comprehension and it makes it difficult for me to determine if you have any appreciation for "The Last Samurai". Do you find any redeeming qualities in the movie? Would you rather that Japanese culture was ignored by the media, films in particular or do you only think it should be depicted in documentary fashion only? I can tell by your comments that most, if not all of you have well developed grasps of the aesthetics of Japanese culture and martial arts but usually what attracts most people are the most obvious or exotic aspects. Initially I'd wager that you too were attracted by the swashbuckling and mystery that many westerners identify Japan and it's Samurai legacy with. How do you think the movie could have been better; are there producers, directors and actors that you felt would have been more faithful and effective depicting this era? While the movie is not the greatest movie in the world, I did enjoy it, the scenery was beautiful and an effort was made to transmit the Samurai ethos and sense of loss due to the ending of that age. I particularly enjoyed the lines where they spoke of man's ability to choose up until the point where his destiny is revealed and also the poetry composition and how he was frustrated until the moment of his death and the end of his poem appeared, effortlessly. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Mekugi Guest

DUUUDE....

I just got cable and I was watching "Color of Money" with my wife and I thought that exact same thing, with Warren Zevon singing "Werewolves of London".

Didya see the part where he "cut" with the side of the pool table...

was it there that it clicked? sppoooookkky...

-R
    Originally posted by hyaku
    I happened to put on the TV yesterday to find a 1986 movie showing called The Colour of Money. Pual Newman, Mr Cruise etc.

He did some fancy twirling with a pool cue. Seeing it I thought "Hang on a minute, I have seen that before. It was of course on the link at the start of this thread. Of course its not a pool cue in his hand. But's its the same unmistakeable twirly wirly action.

Hyakutake Colin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast