Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rare & Collectibles Karate Books

Likes (received)

Default Rare & Collectibles Karate Books

I found this site and its quite interesting. Althought, it says that these are books that are rare and collectible, it does not indicate the monetary values of these rare gems. I wonder if anyone here knows any sites or have knowledge about these rare books.

http://museum.hikari.us/books/index.html

I don't think have any "rare" books but once a month I would often visit old books and salvation army to search for old ones.

Thru these searches I have found several first editions of Karate, Tae Kwondo, and Aikido.

some of my favorite in my posessions are:

-Judo By Kuwashima & Welch 5th printing 1942 Published by Prentice Hall.

- What is Karate by Masutatsu Oyama Printed in 1966 First Edition, published by Japan Publication Training Co

- Karate by Gogen Yamaguchi edition is unknown, printed in 1966 and published by International Karate-Do Goju Kai

I have more, but I thought I'd share the first three.

Thanks
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Smile Keeping the dream alive!

Prince,

This would be a great addition to the book collectors thread!

Value really depends on the where you are and the condition of the book.
    I have paid as little as a few dollars(US) for rarer titles like Shorinji Kempo by: So Doshin.
    Check E-bay to get a rough idea of current "wholesale" worth or www.abe.com for the approx retail value. Again, it all depends on the time, place, and condition of the title and how much the buyer is willing to pay.

I've seen copies of some of these books go for a $1000+ (usd) other times the same title may be found for $20(usd) or less.

I will say that if you'd ever want to sell your copy of "What is Karate?" I'm always looking.

Hope this helps.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Thanks for the Link....Right now, I am gonna hang on to my collection... I always enjoy looking at old MA books. Can't put a value on that.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Wink So true, so true...........................

Prince,

I agree whole heartedly! I'd keep em forever! Now if I can just talk my wife into burying me with them.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Just make sure in your last will that at least seven black belts will be there to make sure she does.....
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Wink She could take em......................

Prince,

My wife is 5'2 and 115approx and if she didn't want to it would take more then seven black belts to make her!

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu