Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3 (short) questions

Default 3 (short) questions

Hi Allie,

What percentage of your revenue comes from teaching kids classes?

Do you and your instructors also teach private classes? If so, how important are they to the overall business?

Do you rent your dojo-space out to other groups (other MAs, yoga classes, wedding receptions... )? Does this generate an important contribution to your business?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike

Likes (received)

Dear Mike:

Yes, we do teach private classes. Many of my black belts teach students in the dojo privates. Sometimes preparing them for testing, competitions and just for the training.

The revenue is based on enrollment. We have an almost equal division of students as far as little ninja 3-5 yrs old, Mighty ninja 5-8 yrs old, Youth 9-15 and adults 16 and up. For instance in my headquarters school we have about 460 students. divided almost equally in each category. We have about 140 adults.

I do not rent out any space to anyone in my schools. I truly only teach traditional martial arts. In fact we don't have anytime to do anything else. We are running about 55 classes per week and we do have a small yoga program in one of our schools. I also own a Yoga studio separately. Yoga is a passion of mine. We do Birthday parties for children.

I am not saying it is not a good idea if you have the time and space. I just made a decision years ago not to do cardio/ or things like that. We are all about martial arts.

We do teach CDT and I think that is an awesome program.

In spirit;
    Allie

Likes (received)

60 to 65% of the dojo revenue comes from our Kids classes.

I do teach private lessons but don't count on the money for rent. It goes into the business account but I don't factor it in when planning expenses. Some months I'll teach 2 or 3 private lessons a week but during the holidays or summer, it may drop down to 1 or 2 a month.

When I ran a dojo in Birmingham, I rented space to a Kyokushin and Shinkendo instructor. Currently an artist rents space from me and uses the building during the day when no classes are scheduled. She has tons of open space and good lighting and I don't have to mop up sweat and blood left over from someone elses workout.

Mark Barlow

Likes (received)

Dear Mark:

Nothing wrong with that. Kids are the future. That is where most of my great Black Belts came from. They are why many schools stay in business. If you are interested in more adults you must market them..

In spirit;
    Allie

Thanks for the informative replies!

Cheers,

Mike