Thread: Just saw the last Samurai

Likes (received)

Default Just saw the last Samurai

So are the older ways really better?
    Hector Gomez
    "Todo es Bueno"

Finny Guest

Talking

aarrrgghhh!!!! It Burns!! IT BUUHHUUURRRRNNSSS!!!!!!!!

Likes (received)

Try putting it in butter...
    Iain Richardson, compulsive post-having cake eater-wanter.

"He shoots first who laughs last."
    - Alexsandr Lebed,

Finny Guest

mmmm.... Lardy.

hehehe reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer starts using butter to shave with.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Just saw the last Samurai

Originally posted by hectokan
    So are the older ways really better?
    Of course.

Look how depraved we have become in our political and spiritual lives. We hold to technology rather than the heart. Oh, for the days of simple wisdom and virile lifestyles of the likes of Yamamoto Tsunetomo who had these sage words of advice for us suffering the slings and arrows of modern life made corrupt: "...drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a horse." (Hagakure, Trans. Wm. Scott Wilson, Kodansha, Tokyo, 1979, p. 67.)
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Just saw the last Samurai

Originally posted by don
    Of course.

Look how depraved we have become in our political and spiritual lives. We hold to technology rather than the heart. Oh, for the days of simple wisdom and virile lifestyles of the likes of Yamamoto Tsunetomo who had these sage words of advice for us suffering the slings and arrows of modern life made corrupt: "...drinking a decoction of the feces from a dappled horse is the way to stop bleeding from an injury received by falling off a horse." (Hagakure, Trans. Wm. Scott Wilson, Kodansha, Tokyo, 1979, p. 67.)
    tried it, didn't work.
    Grandmaster, Soke, Dr. Julian Gerhart Phd

10th dan Fakuyu ryu Jujutsu
    8th dan Babikyu ryu Ninjutsu
    7th dan Meriwana ryu Aikido
    4rd dan Chipu baduka ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Just saw the last Samurai

Originally posted by don
    Of course.

This is just about a perfect summary of the movie. Good heavens, it was bad.
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

Likes (received)

On the up side, there was some pretty cool Armor, weapons, and scenery............I just wish they hadnt consulted Ashida Kim for information on the ninja
    Crossbows and Stephen K Hayes swords.....
    Jullian Simonsen

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kinteki
    On the up side, ..
    ...was some good acting, exciting action, and real pathos. I enjoyed it a lot.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------

Bustillo, A. Guest

Originally posted by don
    ...was some good acting, exciting action, and real pathos. I enjoyed it a lot.
    Indeed.

And great cinematography.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Bustillo, A.
    Indeed.

And great cinematography.
    Hmmm...Did anybody else find this movie really dark, esp. in the first half? Even the sunlit scenes seemed muted and underlit....or maybe it was just the theatre I was in...
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)

Yeah, it did seem to have a dark, etheral quality about it. Perhaps to add to the feeling of this being the end of an era, and of course to add mystery and awe with the samurai rebels charging out of the darkness/mist. Overall I was actually surprised by the movie. I first thought it would have been just another Tom Cruise vehicle, but alas it had some good things and did alright in portraying the spirit of budo. The ninja scenes were a little over the top, and not very "stealthy", but I actually liked some of the swordplay between Cruise and his Japanese peers. I kind of enjoyed watching Tom getting the snot beat out of him. Of course had it been real, he would have been left with quite a few broken bones.

The best actor though was definitely Ken Watanabe. Awsome, his expressions and everything reeked samurai and I think he out acted Tom by far. I'll have to admit he's probably my favorite Japanese actor, after Mifune. I'll have to try and watch some of his other films.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Shimura
    The best actor though was definitely Ken Watanabe....probably my favorite Japanese actor, after Mifune.
    Yes, I enjoyed his performance, too (as well as Bob's).

Ujio, the character who beat up Cruise, was played by a fellow named Sanada Hiroyuki. He starred in a beautiful movie called Sharaku some years ago about the Ukiyo-e artist of the same name. He has a natural athleticism that the director made good use of in the film. I doubt that you can find it here, but I recommend it if you can.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------

Likes (received)

Hello,
    I have two beautiful hands that work properly and, at times, adeptly. On these two hands are ten wonderful fingers. They do almost everything I ask of them without complaint. The minor complaints I do get come when I have asked unreasonable things of them. The only problem is this one rather nasty wart on the end of my right forefinger. Everyone sees this thing (being on my dominant hand) and judges not only the digits on that hand, but also the entire other hand. It didn't do anything wrong, it was just there, until the interloper came. Even the wart didn't do anything wrong exactly, it is just being itself. Granted, it's a contagious genital wart that has the potential of infecting everything it touches.
    MMMmmmetaphor
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Just saw the last Samurai

Originally posted by Daniel san
    This is just about a perfect summary of the movie. Good heavens, it was bad.
    Did they show a different Last Samurai in Texas than they did in Seattle?

I thought it was one of the best movies in years, and the majority of the audiences here, from comments and reviews, seem to agree.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast