Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Just saw the last Samurai

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Just saw the last Samurai

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
    Did they show a different Last Samurai in Texas than they did in Seattle?

I thought it was one of the best movies in years, and the majority of the audiences here, from comments and reviews, seem to agree.

I liked it also. Sets,armor, et all... My only problems was with the sword throwing and the grating sound every batto made (probably post production) and they way they slammed back into the saya on noto.
    I think over all they did a fine job

BTW check out the History Channel Saturday for the historical validity of it all..

Gene Gabel
    Ji Kai Iaido

Tristan Guest

~~
    The movie was very good, IMO. As with any movie, there are going to be discrepencies as far as historical and technical thouroughness. You just have to realize it's not made to be a history lesson or an instruction manual on Kenjustsu (or whatever else sword art).
    ~~

Kimpatsu Guest

I saw the movie last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cruise, however, was outclassed by Ken Watanabe as Katsumoto. What say you all?

samuraix Guest

I realy liked the movie(despite the ninjas )

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    Cruise, however, was outclassed by Ken Watanabe as Katsumoto. What say you all?
    Absolutely. Tom Cruise may have been the "star" but Watanabe can act! Especially when you consider that English is his second language.

A powerful and moving performance. As I mentioned earlier (possibly in a different thread. I didn't scroll up to check) many in the audience during the Sneak Preview I attended were teary eyed and choked up during one important scene (I won't give away the storyline, for those who haven't seen it). You don't get that kind of reaction unless the audience has made a personal connection with the character.

If Watanabe doesn't get an Academy Award nomination I say we storm the AMPAS Headquarters and face down the LAPD with all their guns and APCs, armed only with our swords and our bows, and go out in a blaze of glory!

Oh...heh heh. Got a little carried away. So sorry.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Tristan Guest

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    I saw the movie last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cruise, however, was outclassed by Ken Watanabe as Katsumoto. What say you all?
    ~~
    100% agreement from over here.
    ~~

Likes (received)

Default Watanabe

I may have said it before, but Watanabe is THE next Mifune, and in some respects better.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

I just saw it yesterday and I must say I thought it was pretty dang good. One question though, and I hope I'm not alone on this: Did any one else shed any tears during the end when Katsumoto committed seppuku?

Jon
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Not really, I didn’t feel much of an emotional attachment to the film, like I did with Saving Private Ryan, The Pianist, Schindler’s List, Glory, etc.

At one time during the big battle, I thought how sad it was to see Japanese killing fellow Japanese in a civil war, and then I realized that they have been doing throughout their history!

Walking out of the theater, I mused about how Tom Cruise’s character could be blamed for Pearl Harbor, since he was the one who insisted that the emperor not forget the old ways….
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Chrono
    Did any one else shed any tears during the end when Katsumoto committed seppuku?
    No.

But Saigo (Katsumoto), resented losing the perquisites of power--pork for a class which had essentially been parasitical on the backs of the productive elements they held in contempt for two and half centuries--and preferred death to that fate. His choice.

I liked Watanabe Ken and the movie, though.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

samuraix Guest

no I didn't shed any tears, but it was sad watching all the samurai die(like when the guy who would never talk but he would folow tom around hopped in front of someone about to stab tom, made me sad)but then when I started to think about how they where dieing for there beliefs, I did not realy feel that sad...

Likes (received)

...I hope I'm not alone on this: Did any one else shed any tears during the end when Katsumoto committed seppuku?
    Maybe we Seattleites are just a bunch of maudlin morons, but both times I've seen it, many in the audience, men and women, were brought to tears.

I shed a few, myself, during the final battle, as the brave samurai were being cut down by the Gattling guns.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I shed a few, myself, during the final battle, as the brave samurai were being cut down by the Gattling guns.
    Oh!

God!

Yes!

And how about after Jim Brown threw the grenades into the ballroom and was running for the truck?

Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

That's when I started feeling the lump in my throat. Right after the seppuku I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

Jon
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

That's when I started feeling the lump in my throat. Right after the seppuku I felt a tear roll down my cheek.
    The only other movie in recent memory (well, recent for an old guy -- 1986) that affected me as deeply was The Mission.

I also wept openly and unashamed in the scene where Father Gabriel (Jeremy Irons) was leading the villagers, "armed" only with the Cross from the mission's alter, as they were being cut down by the Portugese soldiers.

I guess I just have a soft spot for courage and moral conviction in the face of insurmountable odds.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast