Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Just saw the last Samurai

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
    You mean it's already out on video in Japan?

Is the English dialog subtitled in Japanese or was it shown there just as it weas here?
    No I get my stuff In South East Asia. Got Lord of the Rings DVD a week before it was released.

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Kimpatsu Guest

You mean it's already out on video in Japan?
    No; the movie's still at the cinemas here. Must be a pirate version.
    Is the English dialog subtitled in Japanese or was it shown there just as it weas here?
    Where I saw it in Shinjuku, all the Japanese was subtitled in English, and all the English was subtitled in Japanese. Pretty universal, really.

Likes (received)

Default last samurai

I was not tearful when Katsumoto was able to die with honor and his morals intact. I was happy that when push became shove he did what bushido dictated. I just wish Tom Cruise was not in the movie. The first time he approached the emperor he enterted the mats with his right foot I found it sickening that Cruise was able to influence the emperor when katsumoto found deaf ears. I can not forget round eye conguers are always right and know more
    James M. Emdin

Jiko o shiru koto
    -----------------------

Elf Tengu Guest

Yes, Watanabe and Sanada superb, Cruise playing Cruise, complete with foppish hair as in 99% of his other fillums, a shame, but worst of all, Cruise surviving after bullets being shown blasting out of his back, highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhly unlikely!

Everybody should have died, or they could have saved Katsumoto's son for the end scene with Emperor Meiji.

By the way, what ninjas?

All I saw was a bunch of black dudes (well, they didn't look Japanese with their make-up on) in leather with very modern 'Barnett Phantom' looking crossbows. I find it unlikely, but will bow to superior knowledge, that ninja used face paint. Perhaps the bad guys beamed a Delta Force team in from the future. Fantastic fight scene the ninja one though, probably the best of the whole film.

Why oh why didn't Tom Cruise die? And why did he have to go off to the village at the end?
    As if the whole village would be pleased to see the gaijin return when all their menfolk had perished!

Actually, next to Watanabe, I thought the kids were the next best actors in the film.

And has anyone noticed the stereotypical blonde curly-locked moustachio'd U.S. Cavalry bad guy that keeps turning up in every period piece action flick, from Shanghai Noon to God knows what! I know there's been one in several recent movies, can anyone add to the list? Was there one in the patriot? Or Wild Wild west?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Elf Tengu
    Why oh why didn't Tom Cruise die? And why did he have to go off to the village at the end?
    As if the whole village would be pleased to see the gaijin return when all their menfolk had perished!
    I was wondering the same thing when I saw it. Plus, I don't think it made much sense after he told Watanabe about the Greek war, though I forgot who it was.

Jon
    Jonathan Wood

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5