Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hokushin Itto Ryu

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default Hokushin Itto Ryu

I read some stuff on the Samurai bujutsu forum that is not true concerning Hokushin Itto Ryu. Not necessarily a big deal, but it's interesting.

A question about the "iaido" was made- Hokushin Itto Ryu is a ryu- there is batto (as they call it at the gembukan), kumitachi, shinaigeiko and naginata. One Ryu.

Likes (received)

Steve,

Is there any historical conection between Hokushin Itto Ryu and Hokushin Shinoh Ryu Iaido? I realise that many ryu have similiar names. The small amount of training I have had in Hokushin Shinoh Ryu allowed me to see iaido kata against spear and other weapons, which would suggest a link to an older system.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Tim Atkinson
    Shinto Muso Ryu 神道夢想流
    Shinto Seishin Ryu 真途静心流
    Gold Coast, Australia

Likes (received)

greetings.

here is a little history i have gleamed from the web:

"The Soke and Founder of Hokushin Shinoh Ryu, Shinoda OhHo Masatsune (1887-1976) studied swordsmanship with Hokushin Itto Ryu Kenjutsu and was a direct student of Soke Ono Nao Uemon. He remained with that school until the mid Meiji Era, where he received a Menkyo Kaiden, signifying mastery of all techniques.

Shinoda OhHo Masatsune then learned and mastered Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu under Soke Hibino Fu (1750) and also attained a Menkyo Kaiden in that style. He was granted permission by both Grand Masters to establish his own "Ryu", which he did by combining what he had learned from both schools' techniques.

In 1924, the 13th year of Emperor Taisho, Shinoda OhHo Masatsune founded Hokushin Shinoh Ryu Iai-Do in Kagoshima. In 1937, he also built and established a school (Honbu) in Nagoya, near to Tokugawa Castle. Shinoda named his school Hokushin Shinoh Ryu as a tribute to both of his teachers. Hokushin is from Hokushin Itto Ryu Kenjutsu, Shinoh uses the character Shin from Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu and the character Oh is from his own art-name OhHo."

i hope this is all correct, as i did not research it myself, just a cut and paste job. therefore any mistakes are mine by proxy.

and yes, the wazas against yari are excellent, a few more years (read 'decades') and i might even be able to give them a justifiable performance.

hope this helps,
    best regards,
    sunny prosser
    sunny prosser

stevemcgee99 Guest

I don't know. I don't speak japanese well enough to find out either. I read the website quoted, too.

There are many things online that are assumptions, or logical deductions based upon facts presented in whatever form. But not all facts are available, and not all who assume or apply logic are informed enough to do so accurately. This in't a big deal unless you want to know the truth, but the truth is relative and is it really important to know?

For instance, what's the difference between nagamaki and naginata, or jutsu and do?