Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Class length

Likes (received)

Again... the very fact that you did it the way your teacher did it means nothing. I am happy that people are still teaching classes that last 2 hours. My guess though is that you only have a small amount of students. That is also okay if you that is what you prefer.

I have never met a teacher that didn't want more students. One that didn't want to spread the word and philosophies of their art. One that didn't want to teach. It is not about the money but spreading the word. Also, people just don't have the time anymore. People can't take 2 hours out of their busy days to sit in a dojo. Also, with the technology of teaching, the systems, the concepts, their is no need to do that anymore.

Good luck to everyone on this subject.

In spirit;
    Allie Alberigo

PS: I thought this was a post for school owners to improve their schools.

Likes (received)

Again... the very fact that you did it the way your teacher did it means nothing. I am happy that people are still teaching classes that last 2 hours. My guess though is that you only have a small amount of students. That is also okay if you that is what you prefer.

If this was aimed at me then I had better clear something up: I am a student, not a teacher. The fact that my teachers do it one way or the other is not what I was saying. I was telling you what I thought was a good length of class and my reasons why.

I have never met a teacher that didn't want more students. One that didn't want to spread the word and philosophies of their art. One that didn't want to teach. It is not about the money but spreading the word.

If you make your living (or at least some pocket money) from teaching then I can see why you would always want more students. Other teachers teach for the pure enthusiasm of teaching their art and others teach only to give them people to train with (if I ever teach it will be because of this). A lot of people are only interested in spreading the word if there are people who are prepared to listen. If you have to change the word (ie. make training shorter or 'more interesting') then there are plenty of people who don't want to do that (I certainly don't and I certainly don't want to train under anyone who does).

Also, people just don't have the time anymore. People can't take 2 hours out of their busy days to sit in a dojo.

If people don't have the time to devote to the proper study of budo then they can go and practice tae bo or yoga boxing. Don't water down budo just to please the masses. That strikes me as McDojo like behaviour.

Also, with the technology of teaching, the systems, the concepts, their is no need to do that anymore.

Are you saying that modern ways of training will allow you to become a super warrior in a fraction of the time it took people in the past? That we no longer have to train hard and long? Or are people nowadays so much more able to learn fighting skills than the ancients?

PS: I thought this was a post for school owners to improve their schools.

Wouldn't listening to the views of students be a way to do this? But then in your vocabulary 'improve' probably goes hand in hand with 'increase numbers of students'.

If I am being too harsh, I apologise, but I am sure you can see why you appear to be only concerned with getting more and more students through your dojo door and earn you more money.
    Hugh Wallace

A humble wiseman once said, "Those who learn by the inch and talk by the yard should be kicked by the foot."

Likes (received)

Allie,

I want to offer an apology to you. I had forgotten the post that John had made introducing you and this forum. He says, and I am in no place to disbelieve him, that you are both a successful business man and a quality martial artist. In that case I want to take back my comments about McDojos and the like. I do stand by my other comments 100% but now that I realise that this forum is specifically about creating a successful MA business school I will back out of the discussion as it is not something that interests me at all. I have to say that I have never encountered a commercial MA school that I would like to study in, but that is just me and my ways.

All the best to you, and sorry again for any harsh words.

Best regards,

Hugh
    Hugh Wallace

A humble wiseman once said, "Those who learn by the inch and talk by the yard should be kicked by the foot."

Likes (received)

Since the comparison has been made:
    As a college student it has been my observation that short classes often leave the student with alot of homework. Classes at the school I attend, Kamiyama ninpo happo biken dojo, are usually 2 hours in length. It is the responsibility of the student to get there before class to stretch. We do a good arm up of hitting focus mitts or thai pads, then onto the real training. Class normally ends with ~10 minutes of talking about the academic part of martial arts or planning group activities. I like this arrangement.
    Neil Stewart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2