Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watanabe's top knot?

Likes (received)

Default Watanabe's top knot?

Anyone else think it was a bit strange that the lead samurai of the movie didn't have a samurai style haircut?
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Was Katsumoto supposed to be a Buddhist monk? He spent a lot of time at the temple. It seemed like the other monks were wearing Zen style okesa with the ring. There's a scene where Katsumoto gives his ojuzu to his older son before leaving for the last battle.

Kevin T. Tanemura

Likes (received)

Default Is the poster available?

Sorry to be so off topic (and with a forum admin of all things!), but is that poster available? I have the one of Tom Cruise reserved at my local theater but the one you posted is a very nice one and not available around here.

If that is available in other than a web graphic, I'd be interested in getting it.

Regards,

Carlos

PS: I don't recall anyone complaining about Toshiro Mifune's hair in "The Challenge." (See... I can get back on topic, can't I?)
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Likes (received)

I think it is the poster from Japan...
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Angry Ah Well...

Thank you anyway (a little far for a poster, though I could use the trip and the training).

Regards,

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Likes (received)

IIRC, when "Shogun" debuted in Japan, there was quite a bit of derision when the character "Toranaga" (Tokugawa) appeared not bald of pate, as this was apparently de rigeur for a bushi of his station. Dunno if this would be applicable here though - haven't seen 'The Last Samurai' yet
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Originally posted by John Lindsey
    Anyone else think it was a bit strange that the lead samurai of the movie didn't have a samurai style haircut?
    This may be one of the historical accuracies of the film, actually. I don't think Saigo Takamori, the Katsumoto character in real life, wore the topnot (although I just have the pics I've seen in books to inform me...) See:

http://images.google.com/images?q=sa...oe=UTF-8&hl=en

There was also that burly fellow who did the leg crank on Cruise who appeared sans topnot.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

I wondered about the shaven head, too, but after seeing the amount of time he spent perfecting his spirit and mushin in his family's 1,000-year-old temple, it seemed reasonable. Although Katsumoto in no way resembled a "warrior monk."

And... As Ken Watanabe is a total hunk, I want that poster! Don't tell my boyfriend.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Default Saigo

While were on the subject of Saigo, I'm curious as to what, in reality, his height and wieght was. From his pictures and the renditions of him in bronze (such as Ueno park) he looks alot like a sumitori, quite large and packing some weight. Another thing, did he ever where facial hair. Some pictures and prints have him with facial hair, while many others have him "clean" shaven. Just curious. Perhaps Dr.Friday or other researchers have some insight.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Default About 5'10" tall, 247 lbs

A giant of a man standing 180 cm tall and weighing 112 kg, Saigo Takamori was a man of few words, with bulging eyes and an affable smile that would play across his face from time to time. Saigo was one of the most popular politicians in Japan's modern era. His clean-hearted, guileless personality, stormy career and tragic demise touch the hearts of many Japanese people, inspiring fervent reverence for Saigo. The story of Saigo is immortalized in several "legends of Saigo," testifying to widespread dissatisfaction with the state of politics today and a psychological need for heroes. In fact, 1877, the year of Saigo's death, was a year in which Mars reached its closest approach to the Earth. The people of the time saw this bright, blood-red star and said it was Saigo's star, a sign that Saigo was still alive somewhere.
    http://www.jsf.or.jp/sln/acid_e/saigou01.html

I don't know if this was his true stature, but it was the only set of dimensions I could find on Google.

Oh, by the way ... Saigo was a low-level samurai (qv. corporal or sergeant) who showed promise and was encouraged and supported by his superior. Saigo eventually climbed the ladder of success, becoming a general officer. NHK did a great Taiga Drama about his life. The actor is a famous stout comedian who bears no small resemblance to the Great Saigo.

The only image I've seen of him bearded comes from the famously inaccurate block print showing his seppuku on a small boat (he actually did the deed in the hills).

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Found this gif take-off of the famous Saigo statue.

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Here's that inaccurate seppuku print:

The name-block above him gives his other name, Saigo Kichinosuke.

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Exclamation That is such a fake

Shyeah right. Tom Cruise isn't in that woodblock!

Just kidding. Cool pic. Only inaccurate because Algren isn't there? jk again.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Default Saigo

Thanks Guy. I wish I could watch that NHK program, I'm sure it was pretty good. I just picked up a copy last night of Mark Ravina's "The Last Samurai" a bio on Saigo. So far from what I've read in the introduction it's excellent and seems it will be a good read. He immediatley starts off by de-mystifying the man and explaining some of the mythology surrounding his life and how it came about. I assume that that woodblock was part of those "mythological" images of Saigo that were distributed for common enjoyment.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Originally posted by John Lindsey
    I think it is the poster from Japan...
    If it were from Japan, Ken Watanabe's name would be the big one sprawled across the top...
    Cady Goldfield

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast