Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Martial artists demostrate Aido for 'Last Samurai"

Likes (received)

Default Martial artists demostrate Aido for 'Last Samruai"

I guess reporters don't have a Japanese spell checker....

Martial artists demonstrate for 'Last Samurai'

By DENNIS J. WRIGHT , 12/13/2003

The Regal Cinemas Marketplace 24 in Oaks will be presenting a Samurai demonstration in the theatre lobby in conjunction with the box-office hit "The Last Samurai."

According to Karl Rahmer, promotions director, Hall of Fame Grand Master George Graham will be present along with about 20-25 members of his demonstration team.

"They will feature basic introduction to Aido, which is the art of the drawing of the sword," he said. "They'll also do Kendo, which is the way of the sword. These individuals belong to the World Karate Union, the American Federation of Martial Arts, the USA Martial Arts and the House of Dragons."

Rahmer said the demonstration will feature Aido and Kendo from the 17th Century to the 21st Century.

"Their finale will include an actual Kendo battle in the theatre lobby using bamboo swords, just like in the film," he said. "We are really excited about having Graham and these artists appear at our theatre. It should be a good show."
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Tristan Guest

~~
    That is kind of amusing. If you take away the suffix do, it leaves you with Ai. I know very, very little japanese, but the dictionary I have defines "Ai" as "Love". Would this mean that they are going to demonstrate "The way of love"? hehe
    ~~

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Tristan
    ~~
    That is kind of amusing. If you take away the suffix do, it leaves you with Ai. I know very, very little japanese, but the dictionary I have defines "Ai" as "Love". Would this mean that they are going to demonstrate "The way of love"? hehe
    ~~
    I wouldn't be surprised as the way of drawing the sword is called "iado" not "aido".
    Jouke Hulzenga

Likes (received)

Hoo-boy.
    Earl Hartman

Tea Guy Guest

It sounds like some kind of showy demonstration to entertain the general public. Sounds....Y'know, I really don't like having to use many negative words, but it sounds pathetic.
    Of course, I could be wrong. It might actually be done in good taste.
    Anyone know?

C.Sieg

Likes (received)

They had to cancel the program today because of weather. Apparently, it is going to be held sometime next week TBD.

Raj

Rajagopalan Subrahmanian

Tristan Guest

Originally posted by Jouke
    I wouldn't be surprised as the way of drawing the sword is called "iado" not "aido".
    ~~
    *cough*Iaido*cough*
    ~~

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Tristan
    ~~
    *cough*Iaido*cough*
    ~~
    But I've got an excuse I`m dyslectic, those guy's organising that event should know better.
    Jouke Hulzenga

Tristan Guest

~~
    They sure should have. But my mother works at a fairly well-respected magazine making place (a.k.a. A Bindery) and you'd be amazed at the simple mistakes that makes it out to print.
    ~~

Likes (received)

I thought Aido was an Egyptian Opera.
    Jack Bieler

"The best things can't be told; the second best are misunderstood; the third best are what we talk about." - after Heinrich Zimmer