Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how realistic?

samuraix Guest

Default how realistic?

How realistic is the swordsmanship in this movie? I know it isn't real and just planned out, but how close to the real thing is it? and what are some flaws you noticed in the film?

Likes (received)

There were only three flaws that got under my skin real bad the rest I can live with and call it a graet movie.

#1. When you put your sword away there is no need to wake up the rest of the block. No one who knows anything and I do mean any thing slams the sword home, like you are sixteen in the back of Daddys car.

#2. My understanding is when acting as a "second" you do NOT want the guys head to roll into the next county. The head should re-main in place held by the flap of skin under the chin to not show the death face. Correct if wrong.

#3 And, last of all, the flip. Tom please save that crap for Extrem MA on Discovery ch.

All in all, for a movie, what more could you want.

Well back to work for me. 70 hr this week
    David J Burish
    My comments are my own & not any other person or style.Of course unless they sound competent.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by DJ Tucson
    There were only three flaws that got under my skin real bad the rest I can live with and call it a graet movie.

#1. When you put your sword away there is no need to wake up the rest of the block. No one who knows anything and I do mean any thing slams the sword home, like you are sixteen in the back of Daddys car.
    Yep. Couldn't agree more. Some of the draws were pretty bad, too.

#2. My understanding is when acting as a "second" you do NOT want the guys head to roll into the next county. The head should re-main in place held by the flap of skin under the chin to not show the death face. Correct if wrong.
    Correct. But they probably needed to show the head on the ground away from the body so the audience would have no doubt about what happened. (When executing criminals the beheading was usually total. But that was considered disrespectful toward a samurai.)
    #3 And, last of all, the flip. Tom please save that crap for Extrem MA on Discovery ch.
    Maybe he was having flashbacks to the cue-stick twirling in The Color of Money. If anybody did a baton twirlling routine like that during kumitachi with me I'd knock their bokken out of their hand and kick 'em in the butt when they bent over to pick it up. But, like I keep saying, it was a movie, not a training film.
    All in all, for a movie, what more could you want.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Excalibor Guest

Default Any recognizable ryu or style?

Hi all,

besides hollywood-do, is any kenjutsu/kendo style recognizable in the movie? I was trying to find out who was the director of swordfighting choreography at the end of the movie, but couldn't recognize any name...

Specially refering to the japanese actor's swordplay who plays the town sword instructor (I think he was the brother of the japanese chief).

I know that this should be based on the Satsuma rebellion, but I don't think they had gone to the trouble to search any koryu still extant from that region...

thanks,
    david

--
    David Suárez de Lis
    Alcobendas, Spain

Likes (received)

Default Re: Any recognizable ryu or style?

Originally posted by Excalibor
    ...Specially refering to the japanese actor's swordplay who plays the town sword instructor (I think he was the brother of the japanese chief)...
    Katsumoto's brother, Ujio, was played by Sanada Hiroyuki. In addition to playing in Japanese movies he's done Shakespear in London, King Lear.

I read that he is a martial artist, but no mention of what art, let alone what ryu.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Wait for the DVD it will undoubtably have a making of which will show who was the fight director and trainer
    In the end we must all answer for our sins... some sooner than others...

shonuff Guest

He mentioned in an interview he took Kendo and some kung fu based swordsmanship(to build up his arms,wrists) to prepare for the movie. No mention of any kenjutsu, aikido, iaido, or Shinkendo.

Likes (received)

He (Sanada Hiroyuki) was a protoge of Sonny Chiba, and a member of Chiba's action troupe (The Japan Action Club).

First movie at age 5, and lots of action movies from age 12 to present. So lots of experience in various chanbara and MA movie stunt methods.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

i watched shogun samurai (Yagyű ichizoku no inbô, 1978, kinji fukasaku) last night, apparently sanada hiroyuki had a part in this as well.
    Joost van Schijndel

Likes (received)

Originally posted by jest
    i watched shogun samurai (Yagyű ichizoku no inbô, 1978, kinji fukasaku) last night, apparently sanada hiroyuki had a part in this as well.
    Yes, that was his third Sonny Chiba film. He was just 18 at the time.
    BTW, that film was released as The Yagyu Clan Conspiracy in the US.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 14th January 2004 at 13:33.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Steven Resell Guest

FWIW, Sanada Hiroyuki is also in "Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei)" which is a great flick with two cool scenes involving kenjutsu (and kodachi).

He also appeared in the original (Japanese) version of "The Ring" (Ringu & Ringu 2).

Steven

Excalibor Guest

Default New info (and a far hope)

Hi all,

I have found this, about Jigen Ryű:

http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/s...pan/jigen.html

"Founded by Togo Shigekura Bijen-no Kami (1563-1643). Was very estimated by samurais from Satsuma clan. Jigen-ryu fencer prefers attacks, he is ready to destroy the enemy in any moment. One of the most famous master was Saigo Takamori (1827-1877), who was a head of rebellion on Kyushu against Meiji emperor."

could it possibly be that someone did his homework and we actually watched some waza from this school???

ah, dreamings...

laters,
    david

Likes (received)

off-topic but some ill-bred cretins decided it would be amusing to slash the tires and break the lights of all the bicycles -including mine- parked by the side of the cinema, during the night show.

Joost van Schijndel

Elf Tengu Guest

If you read Hagakure, you will see that the kaishaku leaving a flap of skin was an earlier custom that was later abandoned in favour of a clean complete cut, so you're not wrong, it's just the chronology.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by jest
    off-topic but some ill-bred cretins decided it would be amusing to slash the tires and break the lights of all the bicycles -including mine- parked by the side of the cinema, during the night show.

So now you're experiencing MUSCHWIN?

(Sorry. Sorry about your bike, too. What a bummer.)
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast