Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tournament first for 10 yr. old

Likes (received)

Unhappy Tournament first for 10 yr. old

My daughter is ten years old and has a Yellow belt in Kenpo karate. On February 8th she will be in her first tournament sparring. Basic rules, 2 minutes, first with five points wins. Kicks 2 points, punches 1.

I'm looking for some advice to help her with her training and preparation. Anyone have experience helping children in sparring tournaments? She is excited but is afriad of being hit, I told her it is little or no contact. What is the best thing to have her practice, kicking or forms? I have a million questions. I entered her for the experience but of course inside I want her to win, it would do so much for her confidence level.

Thank You
    Joe Harrington

Do good things and good things happen.

n2shotokai Guest

Is this with protective gear? At that age I recall fat lips, black eyes and bloody noses in traditional karate without protection. That is why I won't spar with them anymore, I bleed and bruise too easy. Just kidding, but I would be concerned that at 10 yrs. old it does not become a bad experience. Who / where is the tournament?

Likes (received)

It is with protective gear, here's the link. When I did my one and only tournament we used nothing for gear but in my match there was really no contact.

http://www.krane.org/tourn.htm
    Joe Harrington

RobertW Guest

I have been going to these sport Karate tournaments for a long time. I want to say one thing. Prepare for, at least, the fact that even though it is non or light conact, that there may be excessive contact anyway.
    It all depends on the judges, but more often than not I have trained my kids to take the road of light contact, and some kids go in there blasting away. You need to make sure she A.) Keeps her hands up. B.) Her fighting spirit is up and the Instinct to go in strike first and "get the point" is also there. C.) The old cover and punch is good fake a backfist then throw in a quick inverted punch to the ribs. Middle roundhouse fake then high kick...
    It can be hard. I really have a hard time watching one of my kids (who go to Kyokushin tournaments) get pointed out by another who is not observing the rules or getting called for it who I know would not have a chance doing what would call more realistic style sparring with that same student. I tell them, always be the one with the better manners, but give as good as good as you get.
    It depends too, is it about fun, or winning? For us unfortunately, I find you can't just have fun, because winning is part of competition.
    I prefer full and semi-contact with lots of gear. at least you know what you're going to get.

Likes (received)

Thanks for the info. I have tried my best so far to teach her to be first that it can make all the difference in a match. Cath the person, surprise them and do not hesitate to keep going at the opponent.
    When I did my tournament it was the same thing, the kid got me with a surprise move and got me first--then I just lost it because I didn't know how to react to it(not enough training).
    I hope she does well and she knows that this is just for the experience but we would also enjoy winning.
    Joe Harrington

Likes (received)

Wink Run away!

Joe,

I have had nothing but bad experiences with "open" tournaments.
    Bad rules, bad refs, bad players!
    The stuff I've seen at these tournaments is acrobatics and boxing not Karate or Kenpo.
    IMHO)You might find something more "child friendly" in the USAKF, AAU or USANKF.
    I was at an open tourny last year when the mother of a 11 year old competitor started screaming, "Take his F-ing head off!".
    I reminded her that that was not what the martial arts are about and her and the kids teacher started laughing! Is that really what you want your daughter exposed to?
    I hope this does not offend, that's not my intent. But after teaching kids for 15 years I've seen what lowering the standards has done for us.
    Either way wish her good luck for me.
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

RobertW Guest

Iv'e got to say I strongly agree with Mr. Kite. I have been the recipient of profanity when I made sound judgements on forms. Or reprimanded kids for bad attitude/manners/rule infractions.

Likes (received)

I am with you 100 percent Mr. Kite. I often visit some "open style" Karate tournament, I would leave with dissapointment. Most of the these watered down "Fighting style" are usually sanction by Pual Mitchells ( The Shampoo Dude). The worst thing is that many would assumed that this is what traditional Karate is all about.

Nowdays, everytime I see this open style tournaments, I can't help thinking that there isn't any difference between Them and the Circus..

I mean, look at it..Sparkling silver Bo, Two toned Jump suit AKA Karate Gi, acrobatic katas, excessive screaming or so they say Kiai, Silver / Gold Headgears, Neon Nunchucks, Loud colored Hakama, Website address and sponsors patches on Karate Gi and so much more.

The attitude presented by the crowd and competitors are often so annoying, if not downright rude. Most recent episode I saw was the at California Taekwondo Open held in Carson, I was sitting next to a dad. I overheard the father telling his son " Don't come back here without the frikin Trophy !" Jeez, The kid was no more than what, 9-10 years old ? I wanted to say something, but decided against it as it was not my place as I was only a visitor watching this tournament.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

RobertW Guest

Nah. You should have said "this is not Karate", and then shown him some real Karate by kicking the crap out of him. After you should have said "If we all thought the same way you do sir this is the anarchy wew would see. Go home and grow an attitude."
    LOL.
    Obviuosly I am kidding. Manners prevail. But wouldn't it be sweet just once to go up and at least scare the crap out of one of theses arses?

n2shotokai Guest

It is almost always best to keep quiet. I am saying this for my own benefit after my Friday night encounter. I was in a drive-through line and two vans cut in front of several of us in line. It happened in front of me and I said "hey come on, let's show some courtesy". That was mistake #1. I did see that both drivers were female and in the front passenger seats were children. What I didn't see was the high school and college age dudes in the back. They started coming out and I stopped counting at 8 because I was then looking for an escape route, but there was none. I then remembered Nidan was sitting next to me. She is my family's second dog and a very curious pit bull. I rolled the window down and pulled her over to the window as they approached. I said "seasons greetings" as Nidan popped her ears up, stuck her head out and they all did u-turns. Yep, Steve keep yer yap shut!

That guy at the tournament could have had a pit bull in his back pocket and you wouldn't have known until too late!

Likes (received)

Exclamation I enjoy them!

I enjoy open tourneys that are run well. That is hard. If the promoter is good he can usually eliminate bias from his judges by making sure there are five for all events and not more than two from the same school.

As for your daughter, most of what I see from kids that age is a lack of circualr movement. They like to move straight in. Plus, they tend to not keep their hands up. Also, they make one strike and stop and look at the center judge instead of combinations. Also, most areas don't allow face contact for the kids...doesn't mean it won't happen though.

I would work on the areas mentioned above, as well as learning not to jump when someone stomps their foot.
    With respect,

Mitch Saret

kenshorin Guest

Mr Harrington -

For a child, it is very important to teach them not just what to do when in the ring, but also when the match is over. A lot of people don't teach sportsmanship, and it just ruins the experience (and this is not just with kids!)

Let her know that there is the possibility of losing. Also impress upon her the proper way to act should she win. Let her know if she goes out and does her best, that is the most important thing, win or lose, and people will be proud of her regardless. By just stepping up, she has beaten the MANY who don't. Let her know that!

Hope she does well!

Likes (received)

I appreciate all of your thoughts and kind words of advice. You have made me sit back and think twice about getting her involved in a tournament. A lot of the drama that goes on reminds me of what I see everyday out there with parents who are way too overboard with what their children can or cannot do--out of my mouth you would never hear "Don't come back here without the frikin Trophy !", or "Take his F-ing head off!". I used to have season tickets at the Golden Gloves Boxing tournaments in Lowell and heard much worse than this. I do not believe in it and do not condone it, to me when a parent or an adult acts this way to children and especially in front of children it just gets me upset.

My daughter knows that I want her to do her best. My daughter knows that I love her if she loses. I have made it very clear to her that this is for experience and it doesn't matter if she wins or loses. I grew up in school with kids that even if it was a recess game of baseball would get so angry if you didn't hit the ball or if I struck out--it made no sense to me. I was playing for fun...not to win or lose..it was for fun. Later in life you can sit at a bar and watch people go crazy when their team does something wrong or doesn't hit the ball...same thing, different teams, years, places...all in the attitude. I try not to get mad at my favorite boxer when he doesn't fight the way "I" think he should...I am also not in the ring doing the punching or the getting hit.

My daughter is not a bully or a tough girl. I got her involved in Karate due to her mother and I being divorced and I not being close to her(20 miles apart). I got her into to it to help her with self esteem. To have an idea of what discipline and respect is. Values you are not born with but must be taught. I think it will help her with her grades in school, with the "I don't care" attitude she sometimes has. All I'm trying to say is that I am not one of the "soccer" moms or dads out there...I just want the best for my kids and I realize her abilities and areas where I know she could do better.
    Like watering the flowers, you do not water with the intention of them not blooming. You water them so you can help them get what they need to grow into a beautiful flower. You give them what they need.

Once again I appreciate all your help and advice.
    Thank You!

Joe
    Joe Harrington

kenshorin Guest

Originally posted by Compact Diss
    Later in life you can sit at a bar and watch people go crazy when their team does something wrong or doesn't hit the ball...same thing, different teams, years, places...
    I just realized that you are right in my backyard in Melrose (you mentioned Lowell in your post which is where I live and put two and two together), and there can only be one thing you can be referring to with this statement... *cough RED SOX! cough hack*

It sounds like you have the right mindset... I just find as an instructor it is so frustrating when you see the terrible sportsmanship which generally DOES come from the spectators. As you said, a lot of the kids are really in it for fun and then bad sportsmanship is learned from parents or whatever. It is contrary to what martial arts try to teach, which is why I mentioned it, but sounds like you have that covered.

Best of luck, and happy holidays.

Excel Glenn Guest

Default lunge punch

Eveything said so far is soooo true about these tournaments. So,no sense repeating.

As for your daughter, most of what I see from kids that age is a lack of circualr movement. They like to move straight in.

In terms of strategy, side step to the right in fighting stance, immediately launch a strong and committed Lunge punch, step to the right and move back. This will 9 times out of 10 score on an opponent, particularly if you can notice them tensing to attack, which is easy to see in a young person.

The side step makes the opponent plant and retarget, this is when the lunge punchis executed, the second side step clears the counters and then make distance to try again or try something else.

Also, keep the shoulders turned to the opponent, don't square up. With the lunge punch same thing, blade the shoulders at impact.

Warning: this technique can draw fouls for excessive contact, because the opponents tend to blunder right into them.

It is real karate and it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast