Likes Likes:  0

Thread: nun has become the first in England to gain a black belt in karate

Likes (received)

Default nun has become the first in England to gain a black belt in karate

Sisters are doing it for themselves … Or at least this one is.

Sister Rhonda Rice certainly pulls no punches when it comes to kicking off the habit after a day's quiet contemplation at the convent.

The Suffolk nun has become the first in England to gain a black belt in karate.

And the cries of “Ki-Ai” at each karate class are a world away from Sister Rhonda's normal day – where she follows a life of prayer at All Hallows Convent in Ditchingham

“I kept it quiet to begin with. When I turned up in the habit I had to change quickly as I wasn't sure if the class would like it if they knew I was a nun,” she said.

“I'm one of those people who needs a physical outlet. It has a spiritual side too; karate is about learning to control yourself to do it well.

“I think I might actually be the only nun in England to do karate, I don't know of any others. I feel pretty good.”

The Anglican Sisters at the community of All Hallows, founded in 1855, engage in retreat work, spiritual direction, care for the disadvantaged and prayer and support for prisoners and ex-prisoners.

Sisters at the convent also nurse at All Hallows Hospital.

Sister Rhonda, 44, has been swapping her wimple for a karate suit or 'Gi' for three and a half years.

“The other nuns have been very supportive of me, especially when I got my black belt. Several in the group got it but I was the only adult.

“I have made a lot of friends through the karate club. I think I've built a lot of confidence, I think they try to see me as one of them,” she said.

She first dabbled in the sport 20 years ago, when she did tai quando in Harleston.

But after a few years lapse, she joined the Ditchingham Satori Shotokan Karate Club at St Raphael's Hall, run by Adrian Lyall.

As well as spending her time blocking opponents, Sister Rhonda also enjoys cycling and has taken part in a bike ride in Thailand, which raised around 4,000 for charity.

Instructor Adrian Lyall said Sister Rhonda was one of his star pupils.

“When she came to me she had to start from scratch with the white belt and she has now progressed to black.

“She had to prove that she was powerful and strong and be able to attack and defend.

“She's the only adult black belt I've got. I was quite shocked when I found out she was a nun but she's not what you would think and she's one of my best students.”

Despite her dedication to the convent, Sister Rhonda said she didn't go to church until her late teens.

“When I was 14 I always knew that I would do something but I didn't know what.

“I looked into lots of other things including ambulance driving and the RAF but with each one I decided that wasn't it.

“I had a car accident and I went into a convent to convalesce, and then that was it – bam! This is it! That was 18 years ago.”

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/News/...A33%3A43%3A383
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

n2shotokai Guest

Nice form. I wonder if that pull back / chambering has become "habit"?

Default Karate.

If do right, nun can defend.

Cheers,

Mike