Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Last Samurai / Movie

H. Hoshino Guest

Cool Last Samurai / Movie

Dear Samurai mvoie ehtusiast,

I have seen the last Samurai movie in December, 2003. I bought the advanced tickest for me and and few students and took them to the Kabuki theater in San Francisco Japantown. We really enjoyed the movie but I have noticed many incorrect matters appeared in the movie.

1. The miliatry advisors were not sent to Japan from the US at that time.

2. After 1/2 hour of horse back riding from the Yamato Province, the Samurai reached the Mount Fuji area, which was located in the Kanto area ( Over 300 miles away ! ).

3. The Nihongo ( Japanese language ) they spoke among Samurai was not the Meiji Era's langauge.

4. All the Ninja used the replica swords. When one of them dropped the Ninjato, I have noticed that the Hamon was Sanbon-sugi ( Zig-zag ) style, which is the typical Hamon for the Mogito ( Reproduction sword ).

5. The actor Ken Watanabe was the only one who spoke like the Samurai from that Era.

Did you know that Bob ( Silent Samurai actor ) died over 20,000 times in the past Samurai-related movies ?

Maybe, we should not crush Samurai enthusiasts's dream and fantasy by bringing the truth.

H. Hoshino / Happy Day in San Francisco, California

Likes (received)

If you read some of the other posts in these "Last Samurai" threads you will see others commenting on technical errors as well.

But this was a drama, not a documentary or training film.

Enjoy it for what it was.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

posiview Guest

If you read some of the other posts in these "Last Samurai" threads you will see others commenting on technical errors as well.

But this was a drama, not a documentary or training film.

Enjoy it for what it was.
    I agree totally with these comments! IT WAS A FILM - ENTERTAINMENT!!!"

Likes (received)

Although the film was inaccurate in many aspects, I feel that the, hollywoodesque but embracing, portrayel will help shed a light of understanding and unveil the beauty on, what many Americans may find as, an obscure and mysterious culture and code of ethics.

H. Hoshino Guest

Cool The movie" The Last Samurai "

Dear fellow martial artists,

I thank you for your comments & advise and I will be visting other posts shortly.

Sincerely,

H. Hoshino

On a Happy Day in San Francisco, California