Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Japanese sword / Junk swords

H. Hoshino Guest

Cool Japanese sword / Junk swords

Dear Japanese sword enthusiasts,

I often go to the 2-day local gun show or antique show to display some of my authentic Japanese sword collections in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I often ask the following question to the visitors and guests at my information booth: Have you purchased junk Japanese sword before ?

Some were taken in & sold junk sword by someone with a little bit of truth. In almost all the cases, the purchase of junk swords was their own fault due to their lack of knowledge about the Japanese swords.

Case 1 / A young man brought a Katana for appraisal. He was told that his sword was produced in the mid-Edo ( 1624 - 1868 ) Era at the time of purchase. However, the inscription of Tang clearly shows the year and month: August, 1943 ! ( The true identity: A 1/2 hand forged military sword with the Showa Era stamp ) / The true value of this Hantanto is $ 350 more or less.

Case 2 / A 55-year old man brought a Wakizashi for appraisal. He was told the pit on the blade could be polished down completely. However, this was known as Fukure-Yabure ( Opened blister ), which is the 2nd worst Kizu ( Flaw or blemish ) among others. There are over 40 Kizu in the Japanese swords.

Case 3 / A 40-year old man purchased a Daito ( Long sword ) from a gun show in the Los Angeles area. He did not know that there were 3 Hagire ( Cracks ) on the blade, meaning it had no artifact value. The Samurai ( The rulers of ancient Japan ) refused to own the swords with Hagire, which can cause breakage during the fight in the battle fields. / Zero value ! / The purchaser paid $ 2,000 for this sword with Hagire.

If you cannot identify the Kizu in the Japanese swords, do not buy any Japanese sword.

Will be talking with you further on this matter.

Sincerely,

H. Hoshino / On a Happy Day in San Francisco, California

PS. The Japanese terminology details: Daito ( Large or big sword ) / Wakizashi ( Waki ni sasu Katana or sword wear at the side ) or Mid-size sword /

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Hoshino san, I don't want to sound ungrateful but what is your point?That people should be careful about buying stuff ata show? Gee, never would have ocurred to me........
    As for anyone who listens to a salesman and believes him, well let the buyer beware. On the other hand I bought a koto blade in military mounts for $500 and later sold it for $2000 [my civilian mounts cost just under $500]. It works both ways.I also was interested in a big no-dachi blade in a reputable dealer's shop. He wanted to sell it to me all right for big bucks except that had obviously been in a fire and had lost its temper. he didn't mention that and I don't think a guy with his knowledge would have been unaware of it. He thought I was a sucker. he was wrong but the temptation must have been too much for him I guess.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

H. Hoshino Guest

Cool Japanese sword education

Dear fellow Japanese sword enthusiast,

I just would like to educate or give some advice for the novice Japanese sword collectors and enthusiasts. My advice may be limited to the novice students in the Japanese swords.

If you have already some experience in the Japanese sword field and aware of the Japanese sword current situation in the US, you can give other newcomers some advice based on your experience.

It will be nice if we can avoid the unscrupulous sword dealers in the US by sharing our knowledge in the Japanese swords. The Senpai should take care of the Kouhai.

Sincerely,

H. Hoshino / On a Happy Day in San Francisco, California

Likes (received)

Question The unscrupulous sword dealers................

Who are these unscrupulous sword dealers? I left a sword with Mr Hoshino under the impression from him that the work was to take place in three weeks time (3). It has now been over four months almost five months and he has not finished the work that I have paid him for. I left a tachi with him in march and after countless telephone, emails, I had to go up to San Francisco to get my sword back. The new saya that he promised and that I paid for has still yet to be sent to me. And still no reply to telephone calls or emails.

I wonder who those unscupulous sword dealers are?

Nana Korobii Ya okii

Likes (received)

Japanese sword given to Hoshino-san to polish=junk sword. I haved viewed Hoshino-san's collection at several public events and the condition of his swords is a crime in itself.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Thumbs down How/why is he allowed to get away with this scam?

How is it that hoshino has been the center of at least two really good magazine articles and he does seem to have a lot of knowledge of the sword. I had him make a habaki and a shira saya for my sword approximately 6 years ago and everything went great, this time however it seems as if he has changed his business practices and his courtesy practices as well. I dont know about any of you, but when I was raised in the dojo as a kid. My sensei was a stickler about telling the truth and always coming across with his promises. This is a very important aspect of the Traditional Japanese Martial arts. When this man makes a promise, it is basically ignored when it comes time for him to deliver on the goods. When I left my sword with Mr Hoshino, had he quoted me return time of six months, I would of accepted that. But when you quote a return time for the finish of restoration work of three weeks and then four months goes by and there is not even the hint of a return phone call, a returned email, or a returned postal letter that was sent twice to him. Then I would have to say that is not the honorable and ethical way of the Samurai in progress. Unfortuneately it seems just a little rude and unscrupulous.

Troy M. Spees

Likes (received)

Hi

I find it interesting that Mr Hoshino comes here to advertise himself.

I think he needs to do a search under his own name and see the threads where he has been branded a fraud with his appraisals, a untrained polisher who has damaged swords handed to him in good faith, countless people have complained about swords not being returned when agreed.

I also believe that he has been discussed extensively on the sword forum, for the scams and damage he has caused.

Maybe you can tell us what rank yo uhave in sword polishing and detail your training naming your teacher.

I also remember many years ago reading one of his articles in Ninja magazine where he openly bragged about conning a gentleman out of a very valuable sword, paying his seriously low dollar for it. Because he didnt know what he had in his possession you chose to rip him off.

I would suggest no one sends him a sword for polishing, sell him a sword (by his own words he will rip you off) or buy from him.

Mr Hoshino would you care to tell us your real name prior to being called Hoshino. I am asking about your true Chinese name.

I also want to add this new current e-budo thread
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4409
    Last edited by poryu; 11th August 2005 at 08:30.
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by poryu
    Mr Hoshino would you care to tell us your real name prior to being called Hoshino. I am asking about your true Chinese name.
    [/url]
    I doubt you'll get a response. These threads by Hoshino currently at the top of the forum are more than a year old. They were resurrected by the above party in order to warn people about him. He hasn't been here for sometime, or at least he hasn't been posting. Check the dates on the posts.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.