Dear Japanese sword enthusiasts,

I often go to the 2-day local gun show or antique show to display some of my authentic Japanese sword collections in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I often ask the following question to the visitors and guests at my information booth: Have you purchased junk Japanese sword before ?

Some were taken in & sold junk sword by someone with a little bit of truth. In almost all the cases, the purchase of junk swords was their own fault due to their lack of knowledge about the Japanese swords.

Case 1 / A young man brought a Katana for appraisal. He was told that his sword was produced in the mid-Edo ( 1624 - 1868 ) Era at the time of purchase. However, the inscription of Tang clearly shows the year and month: August, 1943 ! ( The true identity: A 1/2 hand forged military sword with the Showa Era stamp ) / The true value of this Hantanto is $ 350 more or less.

Case 2 / A 55-year old man brought a Wakizashi for appraisal. He was told the pit on the blade could be polished down completely. However, this was known as Fukure-Yabure ( Opened blister ), which is the 2nd worst Kizu ( Flaw or blemish ) among others. There are over 40 Kizu in the Japanese swords.

Case 3 / A 40-year old man purchased a Daito ( Long sword ) from a gun show in the Los Angeles area. He did not know that there were 3 Hagire ( Cracks ) on the blade, meaning it had no artifact value. The Samurai ( The rulers of ancient Japan ) refused to own the swords with Hagire, which can cause breakage during the fight in the battle fields. / Zero value ! / The purchaser paid $ 2,000 for this sword with Hagire.

If you cannot identify the Kizu in the Japanese swords, do not buy any Japanese sword.

Will be talking with you further on this matter.

Sincerely,

H. Hoshino / On a Happy Day in San Francisco, California

PS. The Japanese terminology details: Daito ( Large or big sword ) / Wakizashi ( Waki ni sasu Katana or sword wear at the side ) or Mid-size sword /