Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 28 year old 6th dan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tom Wells Guest

Default 28 year old 6th dan?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information concerning Masayasu Sugihara the founder of Byakuren-kaikan. I did a search on the e-budo site and found some info but I had a few questions that weren't covered in the past posts. I had also written to Mr. Pettersson and was hoping some other Shorinji Kempo enthusiasts could shed some light on some questions I had on Mr. Sugihara.

To begin, I read a biography that stated Mr. Sugihara was a 6th dan by the age of 28. I understand that most organizations do not give rank so readily and though I don't doubt his rank while he was in Shorinji Kempo, I wondered if it was his great skill or some other attribute that Doshin So saw in him that allowed him to be graded so highly at such a young age.

Also in the biography, it was stated that he was Doshin So's bodyguard. I was just wondering why their was a need for a bodyguard. Was Doshin So concerned that their were "undesirables" out to get him so to speak?

I don't mean any disrespect in this post. It's just mostly out of a general interest and curiosity.

Likes (received)

Hi Tom.

Sorry that you're not getting much response so far. I think the reason is simple. None of the regular contributors to this forum would have any personal knowledge with which to answer your questions. It is fair to say that in this situation, you probably know more than we do...

One thing I can point out. Kaiso became a well-known public figure in Japan, at a time when his own health was failing. He was suffering frequent heart attacks while still keeping a busy schedule. His early days leading Shorinji Kempo had involved the cleaning up of his local town, chasing out the Yakuza and organised crime. He had therefore established as a target for anyone out to prove themselves. A bodyguard sounds like quite a good idea.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Tom Wells Guest

Thanks for the response. Indeed, a bodyguard sounded like an excellent idea. BTW, I was wondering (as I read in the same biography mentioned in my initial post) if it was common for Doshin So to give another name (such as Byakuren for Sugihara) to those close to him.

Likes (received)

Tom,
    I think that to find the answers we would have to ask our headquarters. Rokudan by 28 sounds unusual to say the least. Bodyguard is also probably a misnomer. Japanese Sensei, particularly one so eminent as Doshin So, would naturally travel with an entourage. Arai Sensei is the man to answer questions such as these.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

As a side note, I have his videos (Goho and Juho) in my collection. Juho is what I would say 90% similar to Shorinji Kempo Juho whereas his Goho to me is far more aggresive and totally different animal.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

I know this isn't forwarding the search for information, but, it tickles me to remember that Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Muhammed Ali and Mike Tyson have all had "Bodyguards"....

The naming thing... giving "disciples" (for want of a better word), a new name, is something that runs through Japanese culture. It is something we discussed recently on the thread "Doshin". When people die, if they go for the Buddhist funeral (as is usual), then the priest gives them a new name. This is painted on a wooden plaque which is carried by a close family member in the procession from temple to cemtery, alon with the large portrait photograph and the box of bones n' ashes. The new name is also the one written on the tombstone (how confusing is that!). Elsewhere, apprentices are given new names by their teachers when they are deemed ready. An example would be in the acting profession, where young performers attach themselves to an established star and follow them around until they are allowed to "graduate". A bit different from the West, isn't it!

Kaiso naming his followers can be seen in this way to be quite... normal
    David Noble

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Ricco Sawavy Guest

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
    I know this isn't forwarding the search for information, but, it tickles me to remember that Jackie Chan, Bruce Leehave all had "Bodyguards"....
    These two don't shock me in the least.

Likes (received)

One last thought about the "bodyguard" aspect...

Most celebrities who have bodyguards are employing them not to protect them from "undesirables", rather to protect them from over-enthusiastic, adoring fans.

OK, one more thought...

A BBC Documentary shown on British television last year detailed the modern School at the Shaolin Temple. It seems that many of the graduates go on to find employment in the "Personal Security" trade, protecting businessmen and executives as they travel around in the lucrative but dangerous world of international commerce. Apparently the "Iron Shirt" and similar techniques are jolly handy for a bodyguard. Not too sure about the ability to pull heavy loads with a rope tied around your testicles...
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Default Sorry for being really late...

Hi guys

I just found this Thread doing a search.

Kancho Sugihara (Byakuren as So Doshin called him) was indeed 28 & rokudan. Being a member of Byakuren Kaikan, I would vouch for him having nothing to gain in this claim were it untrue, simply because he put himself and his champions out there for all to see.

http://www.byakuren.com is the homepage for the hombu.

Cheers
    Sincerely,
    Greg Carson