Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Schools in Florida

KendoKingKlan Guest

Question Schools in Florida

Hi, I am new here, and I was wondering if you guys know any good schools of kendo/jutsu or iaido/jutsu in Miami or Broward area? Thank you.

Unfortunately, my schedules is disoriented concordance with this school:

http://www.miami-komei-jyuku.org/news.php

Likes (received)

Hello,
    Welcome to E-budo. We all sign our real names here as per the rules. Speaking of which...where did you come by your handle? Quite an unusual arrangement of the letter K. What are we supposed to think about that?
    Best
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

KendoKingKlan Guest

Thanks, ya it's a real mind-twisting pun isn't it?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by KendoKingKlan
    Thanks, ya it's a real mind-twisting pun isn't it?
    no
    Roar Ulvestad

KendoKingKlan Guest

Originally posted by ulvulv
    no
    Isn't that spamming? Anyway, I'd appreciate any info regarding the topic.

Likes (received)

Isn't that spamming? Anyway, I'd appreciate any info regarding the topic.
    No, "spamming" is sending large amounts of unsolicited e-mail, usually advertising, to people on an e-mail list.

Insulting people on the net is called "Flamming" but I don't think this was a flame, just a comment.

As for your original question, I'm leaving home right now, but I'll check with some of my references when I get back and post a reply for you by tomorrow.

BTW, I used to live in Tampa, and still visit Orlando off and on. Nice place to visit in the winter, but I'm glad I live where I do in the summer.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

KendoKingKlan Guest

Ya Orlando is a good place to visit and live, generally nice and humble people around, willing to help. And I am aware that Orlando has a quite a few good kendo dojos, but it's just too darn far away from where I live to make a habit of going there, lol.

As for spamming, you'd be surprised. There are boards and forums where if one makes an irrelevant comment, it is considered spamming or flaming, and the author receives flames from others. I guess people here are humbler and tolerating.

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi there,

Here is another dojo in Miami, since you said the other dojo may not work out for you because of your schedule.

SEUSKF(South Eastern US Kendo Federation)

Shidogakuin Miami Kendo & Iaido Club

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/shidoga.../contents.html

I hope this helps!
    Carolyn Hall

KendoShiai Guest

Actually as it happens, I teach here in Orlando at the Orlando Kendo Kai. One of my students lives in Satellite Beach and owns a Karate Dojo there. We have started practice over there on Sundays from 1pm untill about 3 or 4pm. Usually untill I have everyone to where they can not move anymore . You are more than welcome to come up and take a look. Send me an e-mail and I can forward you information over to Scott and let you to hook up. He actually runs the Dojo's affairs and I only come in to teach the one day a week. Let me know if interested.

KendoShiai@aol.com

KendoKingKlan Guest

Kaoru, thank you for the site, I'll definitely check it out. But as it happens, just my luck again, I'd have to miss one of those class days. It's on wednesday, and I come home from work at 9 o' clock, hehe. Otherwise, Monday after 5, Tuesday, Thursday, and sometimes on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I am basically free to endure something like this.

KendoShiai, I've sent you the mail, thanks.

KendoShiai Guest

As I have also replyed to yours. Feel free to come by anytime you want either to my place here in Orlando if you have a free day or Scott's place in Satellite Beach. He is just next to Patrick Air Force Base and its a nice Dojo. Great plywood floor that I love for doing Kendo on. I have already located the nice spots that gives extra spring so when we do Ji Keiko I have an advantage

KendoShiai@aol.com

Likes (received)

Kaoru, thank you for the site, I'll definitely check it out. But as it happens, just my luck again, I'd have to miss one of those class days. It's on wednesday, and I come home from work at 9 o' clock, hehe. Otherwise, Monday after 5, Tuesday, Thursday, and sometimes on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I am basically free to endure something like this.

KendoShiai, I've sent you the mail, thanks.
    Hi!

You're welcome!

Oh, it's ok to miss, if you have trouble with your schedule. I live very far from my dojo(2 1/2 hrs.) so I only get to go twice a month, but I am just happy I get to even go to Kendo. Your new sensei, whomever you decide upon, will appreciate you taking the time to make it when you can. Just practice hard at home. That's what I do. It is worth going, even if you only get to go twice a month, or whenever your schedule allows you to. So, please don't worry about getting to go less than you want.

Just explain your situation to your new sensei, and I am sure they will understand and be happy to have you anyway. You ought to go visit each dojo and see which is best for you, too.

Good luck!
    Carolyn Hall

KendoKingKlan Guest

Kaoru, thank you, you're very kind and polite. How did you come across this school? Your profile says you live in Minnesota. Can you really pick up lots of things, remember, and then practice it to become proficient without visiting the dojo regularly? I mean teachers aren't there to observe you and pin-point the mistakes. And it turns out to be a while before you realize you've been doing it wrong. lol. Thanks.

Likes (received)

Here is a link to a dojo in Miami. They teach both Kendo and Iaido.
    Shidogakuin

The sensei is a 7th Dan Kyoshi, and the school is a member of the AUSKF (All US Kendo Federation), which is the US affiliate of the ZNKR (Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei) so there should be no concern about the legitimacy of the school.

Hopefully they will have a class schedule that fits with your schedule. Because I work in the public service sector I work odd hours myself, and finding a time and place to practice is one of my major hurdles; so I know what you're going through.

Good luck.

[EDIT] Oops. Just saw that Kaoru posted the same site. Oh well, good luck anyway.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

KendoKingKlan Guest

Thanks, . I dont know what the membership fee, but I doubt it will be reduced just for me. Because currently as it seems for a while, I can only make it on Sundays every two weeks. And more importantly, I was hoping for a more training time with little errors as possible. Because if I may assume, I think it's far more essential to get the fundamentals right as a novice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast