Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kenjutsu & Kung-fu (!)

Likes (received)

Professor Bodiford's previous post in the "tachi exports" thread is a good summary of the texts and sources available on the topic. He consistently offers some of the best and more well-informed posts on this forum. However, I would like to clear up a couple of inaccuracies, before they create confusion.

The author of the Dadaofa xuan was Cheng Zongyou (—Q), not Cheng Zongxian (Œ£). The characters are similar. Perhaps there is a typo in Prof. Bodiford's source?

Although Wu Shu does give techniques and critiques of various weapons, his Shoubei lu and its two appendices are devoted primarily--almost obsessively--to spearmanship. It is a detailed and valuable contemporary resource on the topic, and we are lucky it survived.
    Chris Laughrun

Likes (received)

Dear Chris Laughrun:

Thank you for the corrections.

Dear Bruce Sims:

I do not know of a translation of Wubeizhi, but during the Tokugawa period Japanese publishers reprinted the Chinese text several times both in abridged and in complete versions. I do not know of a modern Japanese reprint.
    William Bodiford
    Professor
    Dept. of Asian Languages & Cultures
    UCLA

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Dear Dr. Bodiford:

Many thanks for your response. I had been advised that the Physical Education Department for the PRC in Beijing had reprinted both the WU BEI ZHI and General Qi's Jin Xiao Shin Shu in 1988. I have been able to locate a copy of the latter but not the former so it was a shot in the dark whether the Japanese market might have provided an alternative. Oh, well. Everybody needs a hobby, right? Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by glad2bhere
    I have been able to locate a copy of the latter but not the former . . . .
    Here is the bibliographic information from the UCLA library's catalog:

===================
    Title : Wu bei zhi : [240 juan] / [Mao Yuanyi ji].
    : æ_¦å‚™å¿— : [240å?·] / [茅元儀輯].
    Edition : Di 1 ban.
    第1版.
    Publisher : [Taipei] : Hua shi chu ban she, [1991?]
    [Taipei] : �世出版社, [1991?]
    Description : 22 v. ([4], 10224 p.) : ill., maps ; 21 cm.
    Note : Reprint, with new introduction.
    "Wu bei zhi bi dian fan li" -- p.91.
    : æ_¦å‚™å¿—批點凡例 " -- p.91.

Call number : U43.C6 W8 1991
    ===================

I hope this helps.
    William Bodiford
    Professor
    Dept. of Asian Languages & Cultures
    UCLA

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Thank you very much

Dear Dr. Bodiford:

My sincere thanks for your time and attention. I had tried both Columbia and UCLA and had not turned up anything on-line. You have done me a real service. I hope I might have an opportunity to return the favor.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Miao Dao Stuff

Noting the sketches published in the Chinese material, were one interested to see the real thing there is a picture of two ssang soo on the Sword Forum International Net under the category "more Korean swords". I think you might enjoy eye-balling these.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Hi all,

I just came across a copy of the Wubeizhi from the 1600's. At first glance, I noticed a couple of pages of handwritten text that seemed to be titled "[something]-ryu no Mokuroku". The drawings that followed were of monkeys, similar if not the same to those drawings I've seen reproduced from the (Aisu) Kage-ryu Mokuroku. There were drawings of humans doing techniques that followed, and these techniques looked more Japanese than Chinese.

When I get a chance, I'll try to copy this section and take a better look at it. The kanji is pretty hard to read though.

Damn interesting,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2