Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Katana Kamae

Likes (received)

Otake Sensei

yohimbo Guest

dear Earl:

Generally Komei Jyuku members use a long sword around 42-47 inches.
    That iai-jin is over 5’ 6” and he use 43" sword.
    His techniques is very good .someone ask about the color of the hakama, and said beautiful blue color,
    is really important the color of the hakama?
    Our sensei is over 5'4" and he use 48” sword
    About Sageo Tsukau Kata,I know what is that but I am another student

Komei Jyuku members around the world try to learn different martial Arts :Kembu-jutsu, Naginata-jutsu, Kobu-do, Kendo, Filosfy etc.
    this is Budo

Likes (received)

Yohimbo At the risk of being rude can i ask you some questions about your Kamae.

Why is your chudan so high and so far away from the body. How can you control it with the body and tanden if is so far away?

Why is the Gedan Kamae so high? Kamae Otoku points at the opponents knee area even from a distance.

In the Jodan Kamae why are the elbows pointing out?

Why is Hasso Kamae so far forward away from the body?

Why is the sword not hidden in Waki Gamae? Even fro that angle i would not expect to see much of it.

Looking forward to your answers.

Best regards

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by gendzwil
    How come our lovely model's sageo is hanging loose in each photo?
    Some sensei teach to tie your sageo to the hakama himo to the left of center, some say to the right of center. Some don't tie it to the himo but wrap it around the saya in a figure-8. And some just pass it behind the saya and let it dangle.

None is more "correct" than the other.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Earl Hartman
    I didn't post the picture in question, but there is a picture in the gallery of your site of a young man sittng in seiza with his sword in his obi, but the sword is sticking very far out of his obi at a very odd angle. Someone posted it as an example of how not to wear the sword, I suppose. I'm not exactly sure how to link to it, sorry.
    Here's that photo, for reference to posts.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

yohimbo Guest

My sensei said:
    Budo is like sing a beautiful song: example Georgia in my mind or Shimauta why not.
    Many singers and many interpretations, Ray Charles, Gladys Knight, Michael Bolton, Willy Nelson ,different colors, different point of view ,different angles and different feelings
    After 26 years in Budo practice you must find your own way.
    I had to explain my way many years ago to my sensei because many people have any natural limitation and however want to practice Budo and I am one of them
    In a Way of the Sword history many Ryu survived hundreds a years with they own interpretation about Happo Gamae ( I do not know what is your style and your rank but try to find information about it; I sorry)

When do you use a long and heavy sword the heights change and keep the edge close your face is very dangerous.
    In classic Iaijutsu; Hasso Kamae has different way but I have a big Kendo influence and for me FuriKabute or Furikaburi is more effective front your body always keeping far the tsuba from your face
    You are right MY GEDAN IS SO HIGH, but in this position is where I have the control over that heavily and long sword

Likes (received)

Originally posted by yohimbo
    e
    You are right MY GEDAN IS SO HIGH, but in this position is where I have the control over that heavily and long sword
    A bokuto is neither very "heavily" or "long".
    As you wear a blue keikogi with tare and hold a bokuto, it is natural to believe that you should do a gedan as taught in kendo.
    With that nice scenery behind you, it should be easy for your opponent to "look at a far away mountain" Not bad.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

My sensei said:
    Budo is like sing a beautiful song: example Georgia in my mind or Shimauta why not.
    Many singers and many interpretations, Ray Charles, Gladys Knight, Michael Bolton, Willy Nelson ,different colors, different point of view ,different angles and different feelings

I had to explain my way many years ago to my sensei because many people have any natural limitation and however want to practice Budo and I am one of them
    In a Way of the Sword history many Ryu survived hundreds a years with they own interpretation about Happo Gamae ( I do not know what is your style and your rank but try to find information about it; I sorry)

When do you use a long and heavy sword the heights change and keep the edge close your face is very dangerous.
    In classic Iaijutsu; Hasso Kamae has different way but I have a big Kendo influence and for me FuriKabute or Furikaburi is more effective front your body always keeping far the tsuba from your face
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

My sensei said:

Ok thanks. I had assumed it might be related to Kendo as you were wearing a tare. If its not I understand as my Kenjutsu Hasso Kamae looks nothing like Kendo Hasso kamae. I was particularly interested with the fact that the hands were so far away from the body. Thanks very much.

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Hi minna-san,

Ok, I have just read this thread, and now I am so curious...

I just went and looked carefully at all the photos Pla-sensei gave the link to. Then, I read people'a comments, particularly, Hyakutake-sensei's comments. So, now I am really wanting to know please... What does a Koryu person's kamae look like, in all these kamae in the photos Pla-sensei has given the link to as compared to a Kendoka's? What are the differences? Does anyone have any photos at all of each kamae done by a Koryu practitioner and then a Kendo practitioner? Oh, Pla-sensei, I am not meaning to offend, but Hyakutake-sensei said something above, about your gedan being influenced by Kendo, or something like that. So, I got the idea that maybe your Kendo is influencing your Koryu kamae? I don't know... I'm a little confused. Maybe I didn't understand his comment. But, I want to know please.

Please excuse me minna-san... I'm still learning. And, I probably didn't word this too well. Please, I am not intending to insult anyone. I just want to know, because Hyakutake-sensei asked a bunch of questions and made me start thinking about it all, and I want to know now, if there are any differences. I have only learned Jodan, chudan, and gedan-the ones a beginner learns. I haven't learned more than that yet. Oh heck... I know I got this worded a little funny. I'm sorry!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

beat these...

http://www.151a.net/iai/photo/photo_iwata.html

not bad for someone who is 91....
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Ben Bartlett Guest

Originally posted by Kaoru
    Hi minna-san,

Ok, I have just read this thread, and now I am so curious...

I just went and looked carefully at all the photos Pla-sensei gave the link to. Then, I read people'a comments, particularly, Hyakutake-sensei's comments. So, now I am really wanting to know please... What does a Koryu person's kamae look like, in all these kamae in the photos Pla-sensei has given the link to as compared to a Kendoka's? What are the differences? Does anyone have any photos at all of each kamae done by a Koryu practitioner and then a Kendo practitioner? Oh, Pla-sensei, I am not meaning to offend, but Hyakutake-sensei said something above, about your gedan being influenced by Kendo, or something like that. So, I got the idea that maybe your Kendo is influencing your Koryu kamae? I don't know... I'm a little confused. Maybe I didn't understand his comment. But, I want to know please.

Please excuse me minna-san... I'm still learning. And, I probably didn't word this too well. Please, I am not intending to insult anyone. I just want to know, because Hyakutake-sensei asked a bunch of questions and made me start thinking about it all, and I want to know now, if there are any differences. I have only learned Jodan, chudan, and gedan-the ones a beginner learns. I haven't learned more than that yet. Oh heck... I know I got this worded a little funny. I'm sorry!
    Well, I have a lot less experience in these matters than some of the other people posting in this thread, but it's my understanding that each ryu has its own kamae. I was lucky enough to be in Guelph when the current head of the Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu came there, along with Hyakutake-san, to give a seminar, and I can tell you for certain their kamae looks absolutely nothing like the kamae in MJER. Aside from the fact that in both cases you're holding a sword, that is. At any rate, maybe someone whose had more experience with various koryu than I can further elucidate this point, but that's my understanding of the situation.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Earl Hartman
    My question regarding the naginata was not to say that I thought the kamae were bad. I don't think they are, and since I do not practice naginata, I would have no way of knowing if they were good or bad. I was simply curious as to whether the curriculum of the Komei Juku contained naginata, that's all. I think you have answered my question, thanks.
    Naginata no kamae of the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu. The girl in the coloured photographs trains with us. The ones in the black-and-white photographs are probably deceased by now.

http://aikidojo.nl/ksrkamae.html
    Gedan kamae

Ten no kamae

Ten no kamae

Kubi

And no, I cannot get you a date with her.

yohimbo Guest

Hyaku-sama:
    The human being believe that knows everything, but knows how to express our opinion is a very hard for many.
    Exist almost 300 ryu in a Japanese fencing and I didn't see any photo of the japonese masters of this post is at Kamaes, why do you tries with offending to me?
    about naginata search how many style exist.
    if you want i can send you many pictures about it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast