Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Katana Kamae

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi Pla-sensei,

He wasn't trying to offend you. He just wanted to know, that's all.
    There is nothing wrong with asking. Don't worry about it, ok?
    Carolyn Hall

yohimbo Guest

very good Carol:
    specially if you said that,because you know who i am how is my budo,and how i teach.
    but ...
    thank you everybody,i promise to be better in my koryu
    Hyaku-sama i hope to visit Saitama at the end of the year,please teach me

Likes (received)

Originally posted by yohimbo
    Hyaku-sama:
    The human being believe that knows everything, but knows how to express our opinion is a very hard for many.
    Exist almost 300 ryu in a Japanese fencing and I didn't see any photo of the japonese masters of this post is at Kamaes, why do you tries with offending to me?
    about naginata search how many style exist.
    if you want i can send you many pictures about it.
    Mmmm well.... is was not me who mentioned Naginata. I use a Nagamaki. If you would like to skip back to (1) on the thread and read again you will see I made no mention of Naginata.

You have point about not many Japanese masters posing for Kamae shots. That really is a thought worth pondering over. The thing is who would think themselves worthy enough to pose anyway?

I would never dispute that there are so many different Kamae. A lot do have certain principles in common. Such as the use of a weapon as an extension of the body and its connection of powering the sword using Kahanshin (lower body power) Lets face it a Kamae is a ready position and not a pose. Maybe I am wrong but I generally associate seeing the hands away from the body as breaking that link.

I think what puzzled Kaoru and a few more people that did not respond was exactly which Kamae are yours.

Teaching Iaido and Kendo students to a Yudansha level and practicing/studying Kenjutsu, I spend a lot of time trying to clearly differentiate between which is which and why we do them.

It would help if we knew what Kamae you were doing so we can all learn from it.

When you said Saitama. Did you mean the IKF Kitamoto Camp. Never go. July, beginning of August is Japanese Kendo's busiest period.

For Imai Masayuki Nobukatsu - Judai and Iwami Toshio Gensho Ju-Ichidai and I, this year around the first week in August is the Hyoho Niten Ichiryu Kenkyukai in Canada if everything goes to plan.

Minnasan Yoroshiku Onegai Itashimasu.

Yohimbo I really wish you the best in your practice and would not wish to offend you. Just doing what the forum is for and debating things.

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Every ryuha has it's own way of doing certain things. I just started Toyama ryu- the students there are friendly and helpful. One of the best things is that Ishikawa sensei has grades in Toyama ryu MJER and experience in a few others. He corrected some flaws in balance and stance that I had developed due to injuries accumulated over the years [not MA training!]. He also noticed in my cutting action -from the "chamber" or kamae that previous influence was TSKSR and Kashima shinto ryu- and explained why the Toyama ryu people use the kamae they do. most enlightening
    . I love the tamaeshigiri [also there are no kneeling kata- I can manage the simpler "han sonkyo" kata from TSKSR but seiza is beyond my shagged out old ankles and knees!!]

I did notice that Toyama ryu guys tend to have their hands closer together than I'm used to but I think it may be because of the stanard military hilt size of officers' gunto, since my sword has a longer hilt than most to accomodate my big hands and nobody was worried about the distance between them.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Kanai-bashocho (actually Tanaka-bashocho now that she married Tanaka-sensei) showing how you keep your eye on the fallen enemy:

Likes (received)

Tanaka-sensei gettin' it on:

Likes (received)

BigTony demonstrates proper kiai:

Likes (received)

Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Some great kamae of very experienced people. Oh and some great looking females too!

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

chris davis 200 Guest

Soke Fumon Tanaka

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Originally posted by chris davis 200
    Soke Fumon Tanaka

Bloody hell, look at the size of that sword! I've never seen anything like it.

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

Likes (received)

Originally posted by StanLee
    Bloody hell, look at the size of that sword! I've never seen anything like it.
    That's a nodachi (field sword), sometimes called an odachi (although odachi is also another name for the larger of the two paired swords -- odachi/kodachi, daito/shoto, etc.).

I've never heard of a nodachi being used in nitto fashion, but who am I to question him?
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Do a search on Tanaka Fumon on this very board and you'll find a lot of people have questioned his legitimacy.

chris davis 200 Guest

Its just a pose - i dont think he is using it Niten Ichi Style.

chris

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast