Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do you look at old videos?

Likes (received)

Default Do you look at old videos?

Some of the older BSKF members will recall that Jee Sensei had a video camera (worn with shoulder-slung VCR, remember those?!! ) way back in the old days. He was filming from quite early on during his involvement with Shorinji Kempo. Of course, in real life, no-one has the time to sit down and watch these things much... but have any of you watched yourselves on really old tapes recently? What do you notice? Which parts of your form have changed the most? Is it technique, or just age?
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

I don't have many old videos. The ones I do have are appalling quality.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

Default now you mention it..

There is extant video of me as a yellow belt. I would prefer it were destroyed, but unfortunately for me it's not in my possession, and the person who has it knows it has serious blackmail value.

Seriously though, video has great potential as teaching aid - you sometimes will only believe the bad habits you have somehow acquired when you actually see them for yourself. Even training in front of a mirror isn't nearly as instructive as having somebody film you, ideally unawares..

Video also has an obvious value regarding the more aestheticised components of Shorinji Kempo, notably embu. It can also be used ko demonstrate that students have actually improved over a period of time - its not all about identifying what's wrong, it can be used to reinforce what's good.

Tony leith

Likes (received)

There is a funny clip.

I wonder if I can mention it.

Of course I can. If anybody doesn't like it, then I'm sure there are means of retribution.

There are obviously loads of "moments" that, since the invention of Video tape, can now be relived in all their glory over and over again. One of those such moments is the Embu performance (performed in Hoi, a I recall), where, in total zanshin, hapomoku and maai systems activated.... one kenshi brushes his fringe aside with one hand, then carries on. The concentration, the dramatic tension, the "I-can't-really-see-my-partner".... all come together in a split-second that has no doubt become one of BSKFs most-played embarassing moments. More so, as the Kenshi concerned is now (and possibly was then) a Branch Master. The hair was a bit longer then...
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

mikko.virmasalo Guest

I think that videos are on of the best ways to learn from your own mistakes. We normally videotape some embu-practising but why not record allso randori or kihon?

Unfortunatelly I don't have any videomaterial of my own practices until my shodan graduation that was recorded. Few years back we bought new videocamera to our branch so now we are able to use it more often. Before that it was only during some training seminars when someone brought their own cameras to dojo.

When I look myself doing my shodan test I can see two major things changed. One is my age and one is reduce of my flexibility

Hhhm... maby now it's time to see it once again and try to pick something out in ways of learning.