Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What would you do?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by SMJodo
    JJF

#4 I have a bad knee and there are not as many leg sweeps and low kicks to worry about.

I'm still in the "research" mode for Aikido - just trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make the best decision. I appreciate you thoughts - it helps.
    There is a lot of groundwork in aikido, and doing shikko(tatami-knee-walk) puts some strain on the knees, as you pivot on the kneeshell, so be careful.
    Otherwise, I think aikido is a wonderful art to combine with jo, did some myself ten years ago, but chose to focus only on weapon arts.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Roar,

Thanks for the tip about the "knee walking". I'll definitley have to find out more about that when the time draws closer. I don't mind ground work, but knee walking might be a different story.

I noticed you're from Norway. I'm of Norweigen decent - well, half anyway. Don't know much at all about the culture, but those Norweigen Cruises look great. Maybe one day. It's got to be cold beyond comprehension there, huh?
    Greg Kencitzski

Likes (received)

Roar,

Thanks for the tip about the "knee walking". I'll definitley have to find out more about that when the time draws closer. I don't mind ground work, but knee walking might be a different story.

I noticed you're from Norway. I'm of Norweigen decent - well, half anyway. Don't know much at all about the culture, but those Norweigen Cruises look great. Maybe one day. It's got to be cold beyond comprehension there, huh?
    More wet than cold where I live. couple of "white weeks" every year. Never been much of a skier anyways.
    the cruises are great, but mucho expensivo
    Whats the last name of your polar ancestors?
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Default Re: What would you do?

I have a simmering dilema that I was hoping to get some on from more experienced budo practitioners. I currently practice Jodo (classes are only once a week) under a very esteemed Sensei that I have great respect for. I do not want to damage our relationship, but I have been toying with the idea of practicing another art in addition to Jodo (Akido). The problem is that my Sensei does not offer the art I'm interested in (only Karate). Would you approach him and seek permission to study another art?
    Touchy Subject, but I think it would be proper to talk to him and ask him for permission, I beleive that most sensais would approve of, or encourage a student brofening out their knowledge of the Martial Arts, being that there is no Ultimite art, but I think you would have to be carefull not to loose intrest or vigor in your Jodo training with your current Sensai, for he may take this to offense. Overall I think the appropriate way to approach this matter would be to humbaly seek the blessing of your sensai.

Likes (received)

Roar - The family name was Nilsen - I don't know if it got "altered" at some point. That side of my family is kind of an enigma, so the only thing I know is that the family arrived here 2 generations ago (grandfather's parents) from Oslo.

Josh - I had an intersting conversation with my Sensei last week. It made me realize that there is a lot more learning that I can do in my current school, and that there is still quite a bit I can gain from him without "venturing out" and practicing soemwhere else. So, eventually I'll probably bring it up when I'm ready to make a move. But for the immediate future, I'm going to absorb as much as I can where I am. I think your suggestion is probably the way I'm going to go when/if the time comes. Thanks
    Greg Kencitzski

Likes (received)

Hi Greg

I'll jump in here only cause you mentioned that you do Jodo, and we've already spoken. I don't know what your exact concept of a Sensei is, and like everything we all have different concepts.

In my case, I wouldn't so much see it as "permission" but rather "guidance". In the end who can truly tell someone else what to do, rather a good Sensei or what Nishioka Sensei calls a "master teacher" in his Shu-Ha-Rei: Uchidachi & Shidachi article will always lead by example and others will follow if they're worthy or if others desire.

IMHO it's a bit like your Father (you should try to only have just one for that particular art, or style.. armed or unarmed), in this way it's not a democracy in his house.. but at the same time it's the nuturing guidance we all seek and admire, in an effort to improve ourselves both technically and spiritually.

Others can see it as a Military system, rather than a family one. Again, each to his own.

And most teachers I know would not have a problem, letting you do an unarmed art some even suggest it, the same for external Seminars.

Cheers
    Greg
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

"Seek out the middle of the two we's in I"

Likes (received)

I agree with your sentiments, but it becomes complicated when my current Sensei also teaches an unarmed art - I don't think he sees it as a division of sorts. I think he views it in it's entirety - he teaches Jodo, Iaido, and Karate-do. So actually, I'm only getting a small piece of what I think he perceives as an entire pie. That was the jist of our conversation earlier this week. He illuded to the fact that there is a lot more to learn Budo-wise than just what I'm able to get from Jodo alone. I think he has a point there, but I've always been more partial to unarmed arts such as Aikido and Jujutsu - thus my dilema. I do appreciate the input though. Fortunately, I have a lot of time before I was thinking of really making a move, but I do have a lot to consider in the mean time. Thanks.
    Greg Kencitzski

Likes (received)

Greg

I feel for your situation and understand probably more than you think.

My only suggestion, and it's just that, is to try to attend a Pan-American Jo Federation organised Seminar. Even if you have to travel some distance to get there.

If you'd like me to try to find out more about such, ie. where and when such a seminar will take place on the east coast just drop me a PM anytime.

Greg

PS. I made another mistake, should have been Shu-Ha-Ri not Rei.
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

"Seek out the middle of the two we's in I"

Likes (received)

Greg,

Thanks for the tip. I'd like to check out one of those seminars sometime, but I'm a little limited with travel in the immediate future. I do have a business trip planned in early April to New Jersey. I am trying to arrange my schedule to meet Diane Skoss while I'm there. It's going to be difficult though.

Jodo has a relatively small following compared to some of the more popular arts, but it's good to see that there are a bunch of people out there that do practice it. For a while, I thought my school was the only one in the US (until I started branching out a little). It's kind of cool that it seems to be a relatively close-knit group. I'd really like to see what others are learning to improve my own knowledge. Thanks again.
    Greg Kencitzski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2