Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favorite Samurai Movie

Likes (received)

Hello!

Seems like everyone is boosting about those old kurosawa movies... Those are good indeed but there are lots more to watch.

The best ones are:

Mibu Gishi Den (when the last sword is drawn, this is just so great)

Tasogare Seibei (twilight samurai, about a poor samurai whos forced to sell his katana to feed his children...)

Makai Tensho (Samurai reincarnation, the remake, great movie with characters like Musashi Miyamoto and Yagyu Jubei!)

Shoguns Samurai (Maybe the best? Starring Sonny Chiba...)

There are lots more like the Itto Ogami movies (Lone Wolf, the reason why suio ryu is practiced in north america? , Musashi-trilogy and so on, those I mentioned are made in last two years (except shoguns samurai, but thats just killer) and are definitely worth watching.

Feel free to ask, I collect Samurai movies and must have more than hundred or so?!

Likes (received)

Question twightlight

I keep hearing all these rave reviews on the forum about "Twighlight samurai". Where I can I get a copy of these movie?
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Any Idea where I can get Twilight Samurai?

I got the other dvds. I'll comment on them as soon as I get a chance to see them starting with 7 Samurai.

Likes (received)

Default Netflix rocks

Hi,

For those of you wanting dvds, netflix is the way to go if you live in a large city that has a distribution center (takes only two or so days to arrive) or if you live in the absolute sticks with no rental store worthy of the name. I've got the entire zatoichi collection coming next week...They have a lot of samurai movies...

and I'm not working for them, so this isn't spam. Just thought you all might want to know if you don't.

BTW they have twilight samurai in queue but it seems it hasn't been released yet on dvd...does anyone have other information?
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Question netflix

Is net flix just for renting movies via internet or can you purchase them as well. Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never used their services. Only seen their adds on my yahoo account.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Netflix is just a dvd rental but they have quite a huge selection.

www.netflix.com (somewhat obviously...)

Someone posted a nice japanese site to buy dvds that would probably have samurai twilight but I can't remember what it was and they were a different region than U.S. anyways. I did notice that Beat Takashi's remake of Zatoichi is out on dvd in Japan. That site had english pages...i'll try to find it again and post it up here.

I just use amazon, best buy or circuit city to buy dvd's right now but I don't have too many...saving for other things.

Can't beat rental though for certain things. As much as I like Shogun both book and movie, for nostalgia if nothing else, I decided I'd rather buy kurosawa for now on dvd. But it was the first "samurai" movie my girlfriend enjoyed!
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3