Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone travel to Okinawa recently?

Likes (received)

Question Anyone travel to Okinawa recently?

I'd like some firsthand reporting of Okinawa today. Where are the best vacation facilities? How are Americans welcomed? What are the martial art training opportunities for an American?

I'd prefer firsthand knowledge but if there is a site that would help me with my questions I'd appreciate the heads-up.

Likes (received)

Hank Irwin
    www.geocities.com/bushinoji
    A.O.A.
    Academy of Okinawan Arts

Likes (received)

Default Re: Anyone travel to Okinawa recently?

Denis,

I recently returned from my second trip to Okinawa, so I'll give you my limited advice.

> Where are the best vacation facilities?
    Sorry, this one I'm weak on...I've only spent time in Naha, Chatan, and Nago. Each area had it's own flavor, and I look forward to seeing more of the islands in my future trips.

> How are Americans welcomed?
    I've honestly never been treated better anywhere I've traveled.

> What are the martial art training opportunities for an American?
    Without reservation, my suggestion would be to arrange training BEFORE you go to Okinawa. This is much more polite than just showing up at someone's dojo. Try to get introduction from someone that has a relationship with the dojo you are looking to visit.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Denis Torres
    I'd like some firsthand reporting of Okinawa today. Where are the best vacation facilities? How are Americans welcomed? What are the martial art training opportunities for an American?

I'd prefer firsthand knowledge but if there is a site that would help me with my questions I'd appreciate the heads-up.
    Russ Smith
    http://www.Goju-Ryu.info/
    http://www.OKDR.org/

Likes (received)

Denis ,

Me , & Russ traveled together , but , we trained at different locations . Okinawans , in general are some of the nicest , peaceful people I've ever met . I too would highly reccomend making training arrangements before you go , if you can .

David Somers
    www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawagojuryu

Mekugi Guest

One island:

Taketomi jima- just off Ishigaki Jima.

Don't waste your time with those tourist places man! That is the best place to stay IMHO.

If you want martial arts training look to the big cities and crappy hotels! You'll find something.

Likes (received)

I am a Marine currently living in Okinawa, and I thought i would chime in my 2 cents. The island is beautiful and the people are very nice. I have yet to find the time to get out and train but i hope to... I was waiting for a letter of introduction but it doesnt look like its comming any time soon.
    Anyway, if you decide to come to okinawa and there is anything i can do to help, more information you need etc. Please let me know.
    Zach Norris
    "Knowledge, an unquechable thirst"

Likes (received)

Default moving to Okinawa

I hope this isn't too far off the original topic. I'm very interested in moving to Okinawa (short or long-term, preferably long). Does anyone have any experience regarding a move to and residing in Okinawa? Any experiences/advice most welcome.
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Default Living in Okinawa

I have been living here in Okinawa for a little over six years now. If you would like to PM with any questions you may have I'd be happy to try and answer them.

James East

Mekugi Guest

Don't rely on letters! Simply ask for kengaku (watch training)- you'll end up doing that anyway- more than likely.

Quote Originally Posted by znorris
    I have yet to find the time to get out and train but i hope to... I was waiting for a letter of introduction but it doesnt look like its comming any time soon.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by znorris
    I am a Marine currently living in Okinawa, and I thought i would chime in my 2 cents. The island is beautiful and the people are very nice. I have yet to find the time to get out and train but i hope to... I was waiting for a letter of introduction but it doesnt look like its comming any time soon.
    Anyway, if you decide to come to okinawa and there is anything i can do to help, more information you need etc. Please let me know.
    Don't know if you still post here; it's been awhile but where are you on Oki? I was at Camp Schaub, just up from Henoko. I was with Hq4thMarines ... awhile ago. Beautiful island, beautiful people. I too, wish I'd optimized my opportunities to do something such as training instead of drinking and chasing women who weren't interested in anything but the yen I had in my pocket.

Maybe in my next life ....