Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Texas Law - Are They For Real?

Likes (received)

Thumbs down Texas Law - Are They For Real?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/11/ob...eut/index.html

Texas mom faces trial for selling sex toys
    Wednesday, February 11, 2004 Posted: 12:26 PM EST (1726 GMT)

DALLAS, Texas (Reuters) -- Joanne Webb is a mother of three, a Baptist, a booster of the town of Burleson, Texas, and a former schoolteacher. She also faces trial for being a smut merchant.

Webb, 43, was arrested in November by two undercover police officers for selling sexual toys and charged with violating Texas obscenity laws. She could face up to a year in jail and a fine of $4,000 if convicted.

Webb is a representative for Passion Parties, a California company marketing potions, lotions and sexual toys sold at gatherings that mimic Tupperware parties.

Women over 18 meet in a private home for what the company calls a "girl's night out of giggles and fun," during which products designed to enhance sex lives are sold.

It was not a secret in Burleson, a small town near Fort Worth, that Webb sold vibrators, edible creams and racy lingerie.

But not everyone was happy about it.

According to reports in the local media, police said a few residents, who they declined to identify, lodged complaints. A few prominent citizens with strong Christian beliefs were angered by Webb and her activities and asked police to investigate, local media reported.

Two undercover police officers posed as a couple trying to spice up their love life and Webb sold the woman a vibrator. Webb instructed her on its use and explained how it could enhance lovemaking.

That's where she got into trouble.

Texas law allows for the sale of sexual toys as long as they are billed as novelties, BeAnn Sisemore, a Fort Worth attorney representing Webb, told the Houston Chronicle before a gag order was issued by the judge presiding over the case. But when a person markets sex toys in a direct manner that shows their actual role in sex, then that person is subject to obscenity charges, she told the newspaper.

Sisemore has said she plans to file a federal lawsuit challenging Texas obscenity laws, which she said are so vague that they could be used to prosecute anyone who uses or sells condoms designed to provide stimulation for sexual pleasure.

-C. Chu
    ============================
    ‘¸Œh?AŠ´ŽÓ?A”E‘Ï

Likes (received)

Upgrading here, is any of these laws for real?

In California, it's illegal for a vehicle without a driver to exceed 60 miles per hour...

In South Carolina, every adult male is required to take a rifle to church on Sunday in case of attack....

In Maine, it's illegal to keep Christmas decorations up past January 14th....

In L.A., California, a man can legally beat his wife with a leather strap, as long as it is less than two inches wide, or she gives him permission to use a wider strap.....

In Arkansas, a man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month...

In Mobile, Alabama, it's unlawful to howl at ladies inside the city limits, or wear pumps with sharp heels...

In Dyersburg, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to call a man for a date...

In Michigan, a state law stipulates that a woman's hair legally belongs to her husband....

In Iowa, it's illegal to kiss longer than five minutes....
    In San Francisco, California, it's illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear....

In Arkansas, flirtation between the members of the opposite sex on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term....

I came across this from a not-so-reliable web site that is known to lie to make their point. (pro-life type web site) If anyone can verify any of these laws, let me know and I will run as far away from our southern friends as possible...

-Cody
    -C. Chu
    ============================
    ‘¸Œh?AŠ´ŽÓ?A”E‘Ï

Grant Kirby Guest

i can attest to the one that a man can beat his wife once a month in arkansas. i heard about that and asked my cousin, a police officer, if it was true, and he said it was. i don't know if it would actually hold up in court though... he did say that that would be a really strange case, because the abuse would actually be legal

Peace

by the way, in memphis, tn, it's illegal for a woman to drive a car without a man running in front of the vehicle waving a flag

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Cody
    Upgrading here, is any of these laws for real?
    In Mobile, Alabama, it's unlawful to howl at ladies inside the city limits, or wear pumps with sharp heels...

-Cody

Cody, I live in Mobile and have done some major howling at ladies and been howled back at.. They must have appealed that one..
    Now the pumps law......I'v never found a pair to match my hakama

Gene Gabel
    Ji Kai Iaido

Likes (received)

Many of these strange laws are ones that were passed long ago by local city councils and such, in response to a specific incident or in protest to some other law.

Most have been voided or court rulings have superceded them, but due to bureacratic inertia they are still "on the books."
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---