Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ju Jutsu on Gold Coast

Chops Guest

Default Ju Jutsu on Gold Coast

G-day Everyone,
    I was hoping one of you could assist me please with finding a Ju Jutsu school on the Gold Coast, Australia. I know a couple of BJJ classes but I am more interested in Japanese based art. It does not matter if it is a Gendai or Koryu based school, as long as it involves some quality training and is not a waste of time. I have practiced mainly Bujinkan in the past with Mr Wayne Roy's group. I have thought of going back into the Bujinkan, but with a different group, but first I want to experience something outside this circle first.

David Chopping

Likes (received)

Mark Haseman from what I hear runs a very good school somewhere around Brisbane/Gold Coast. I strongly recommend you look him up. Sorry can't give you any details, I don't know much about him apart from many very good reports I've heard.
    Peter Ross

Waiter: "Can I tell you about today's specials?"
    Patrick Bateman: "Not if you want to keep your spleen"

Chops Guest

Thanks Meat,
    I think Mark Haseman is on the Coast somewhere around Surfers Paradise. I was wandering if you have any idea on what type of ju jujutsu he teaches, I think he is a trainer for NHB fighters but I am not too sure?
    Chops.

MarkF Guest

You are being rather vague and I've not been to that part of Australia, nor do I know what is available to you, but as you have some grappling experience, and you wish it to be a Japanese style of such, why not hook up with the local judo dojo for the time being?

I really don't know who to recommend, but with your experience in the budo taijutsu of the Buj, it may be a good way to get back in and, in the meantime, learn some valuable basics.

Good thing about judo: It is available almost anywhere.

Bad thing about judo: It isn't available everywhere, but it probably will be very soon.

Just a thought.

Mark

Likes (received)

Mark does teach Japanese jujutsu, if I recall correctly, he was a student of the late Jan De Jong. His son Chris is indeed a MMA fighter, I couldn't tell you how much of that sort of training Mark does, but he does teach Japanese JJ.
    Peter Ross

Waiter: "Can I tell you about today's specials?"
    Patrick Bateman: "Not if you want to keep your spleen"

Chops Guest

G-day Everyone,
    thanks again Meat for the information on Marh Haseman. Hearing that he was a student of the late Sensei Jan De Jong sounds very promising to me. When I was practicing Ju Jutsu back in the middle 80's and early 90's I had the pleasure to meet up with Sensei Jan De Jong every time he come through this part of the world. A great man as well as a great Martial Artist.

While I am on this subject has anyone heard of a 'Sentuku'Ryu{spelling?} and of a Sensei Rainer Fiedler. He was teaching at the Manaco Street Police Citizens Youth Club in the span of time that I mentioned in the above. Any help would be great.

Markf, I have given thought of joining a Judo club but my problem here is that almost all Judo clubs are mainly sports based and I am not interested in competition. There is though a small Bujinkan group near me I am really thinking of joining up with. I know the instructor from when he was instructing for Sensei Wayne Roy's schools of Ninjutsu, he is very good as both an instuctor as well as a practitioner so this looks promising. bugger, I have gotten carried away. MarkF, when you asked me to be more clear on what I was after I would have to say a either a koryu Ju Jujutsu or a Gendai Japanese Juj Jutsu Ryu which has some sort of history with olser, more traditional schools. Up to a certain extent I would prefer something which could be used up to a ,certain degree, as a self defence art.

GOing back to Meat's information Mark Haseman sounds like an excellent choise to go with. Also with mentioning the above Bujinkan school my interest with why I first started with the Bujinkan is coming back so I will most likely give both schools a go and see what happens.

Yours sincerely,

David Chopping.

Likes (received)

Default Jujutsu

David,
    Just letting you know that the website for Mark Haseman's organisation is http://www.australianjujitsu.com/index.htm. I was not aware that he taught on the Gold Coast but you may find some other dojos if you search on the Australian Jujutsu website at http://www.ajja.org/.

Raymond Parker

Chops Guest

G-day Everyone,

thanks for the links Raymond. Had a look and found no Gold Coast schools. I am not new to long distance travel to classes but I probably won't do it in this case as it is not exactly what I wanted. So it looks like I will be joining up in the Bujinkan school in the next couple of weeks. Raymond, do you have a link to the Brisbane Genbukan dojo as I may have a look into their classes ones my health improves and life is a bit more balanced out?

Thanks again,
    David Chopping.

Likes (received)

David,
    The best link I can give you is this web address: http://www.ninpo.org/branchdojo/Aust...banegroup.htm. You will find an email address for Rob Tierney one of the instructors.

As far as Bujinkan check out: http://bujinkanbrisbane.freeyellow.com/index.html. Select the forum link and look under Dojos and you will see info on a new dojo that has opened on the the Gold Coast. I would recommend only going to dojos that are listed on this website. Good luck.

Raymond Parker

David Toner Guest

David,

I'm not sure if he teaches in the Gold Coast area, but I have heard of a Jiu-Jitsu Shihan named Sam Gervasi. He's teaching more traditional (not BJJ)stuff that might suit your needs. You might look him up on the web, and see if he's in your area.

Good luck.

Likes (received)

David,

Most of the Jujutsu is closer to Brisbane, I believe that Mark Hasemen is up near Beenleigh these days, but I could be wrong I'll look and see if I have contact details somewhere.

Rainer was still around when I was last on the coast about three years ago, but I don't know where he is now.

If you go into Fight World, which is on Nerang Road in Southport about a kilometre past the Hospital towards Nerang, the guys in there can tell you who's about and teaching. Don't have their number at hand but they're in the book.

Two people that I would recommend, though neither of them teach jujutsu proper are Martin McCormack (0424 064 087), who teaches Chushinkai, which is a self-defense art based on Ashihara Karate and Arnis, it has good sabaki and does include takedowns and immobilisations and is very compatible with jujutsu, he teaches in Ashmore. (Just keep reminding him that I taught him everything he knows! Only kidding Martin! )

The other guy is Danny Hattersly (0411 981 274), he is a bit more into NHB style fighting but has a strong jujutsu background and it forms a large part of his curriculumn. Danny teaches out of Bundall near the Turf Club, or at least he did a few years ago.

Mention my name to either of these guys as I have trained with both of them in the past. I can't think of anyone else at present, but by all means, if you find someone send me the names and I'll see if I know them.

Regards

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Likes (received)

Default Mark Haseman

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    Mark does teach Japanese jujutsu, if I recall correctly, he was a student of the late Jan De Jong. His son Chris is indeed a MMA fighter, I couldn't tell you how much of that sort of training Mark does, but he does teach Japanese JJ.
    Mark Haseman wasn't a student of Jan De Jong. His teacher is Mike Jeans from Queensland. Haseman's jujitsu is very good.

Simon