Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Info on Sueyoshi Akeshi

Likes (received)

Default Info on Sueyoshi Akeshi

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me this iaido video of Sueyoshi Akeshi, I watched it, and I found it very strange, some mixture of iaijutsu and kejutsu, but very weird in general. There's no style mentioned in any part of the video, no ranking or degree accreditation. In my opinion this guy qualifies for krappy karate kamae and baffling budo, but since it's a iaido video, I post the question here. The question:

Does anybody knows anything about this "master" and which style he represents? has any body practiced or had any encounters with him or disciples?

I saw an old post about this guy, but no clear answers. I ask this question since some people beleaves this guy is a serious one and they may begin to learn something about sword arts in a wrong way. I try to explain them that some movements look very wrong, but they say this man is an "Iaido Master"... you know where this kind of things leads to... If anybody can help, I'll be happy to receive news. Thanks a lot.
    Paulo K. Ogino A.
    Architect
    Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

"Now there's void... tomorrow is not the day"

Likes (received)

I believe that he is a monk that is a part of the Shugendo sect. My Japanese history isn't that fantastic but I think that these were also warrior Monks in earlier days and the only ryu associated with them that is still extant to my knowlegde is Kaze Arashi Ryu (I think this is the one where they sometimes practice while wearing Geta). I hope this is correct.
    Richie Styles

Likes (received)

After a quick chat with a friend I think the ryu name is a mistake ..... however he is supposed to be a Shugendo monk.

A quick search of the net shows that there seems to be quite a few arts/ryu that claim to be associated with Shugendo buddism, Kaze Arashi Ryu being one of them. Some are quite questionable (have a search yourself and you will see what I mean).
    Richie Styles

Likes (received)

Sueyoshi Akeshi seems to be most active in Europe, and has been offering videos on heaven knows what style of iaijutsu, kenjutsu, jojutsu, bokuto practice and something about shugendo for several years now.

I find it suprising that someone who goes to the trouble of offering a professional product including explanations in Spanish would fail to include the name of his style or teacher, or supply information regarding his own training background. I'd question any "kobudo" promoter who places the focus more on himself than on those who supposedly brought him up to be the person he claims today.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Thumbs down

This teacher usually has his residence in Spain. I believe that with all the comments that have been exposed until this moment we have spent a lot of ink in commenting on somebody that doesn't deserve so much. Could we change toward a more interesting topic?.

Likes (received)

Default This one is in spanish

Paco,

Primero, tienes que incluir tu nombre completo en vez (o además) de usar un nick de fantasia. Segundo, es importante dar a conocer a aquellos que no tienen una buena reputacion o son cuestionables en sus modos, estilos o declaraciones, para advertir a aquellos que se inician en las artes marciales, pues éstos son las primeras víctimas de fraudes que pueden terminar hasta en daño físico.

Translation:

Paco,

First, you have to include your complete name instead of (or besides) using a fantasy nick. Second, it is important to bring to light to those that do not have a good reputacion or are questionable in their ways, styles or statements, to warn to those that are beginners in martial arts, because these are the first victims of frauds that can end up even in physical damage.
    Paulo K. Ogino A.
    Architect
    Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

Hello Paulo,

Paco has given his name with his user name.

I agree with you regarding providing correct information for beginners, and think we've succeeded in doing this by noting above that the individual in question gives no lineage for his claims. I think this says volumes.

Sincerely,
    Last edited by Daniel Lee; 23rd February 2004 at 01:23.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Default Re: This one is in spanish

Originally posted by Paulo K. Ogino
    Paco,
    First, you have to include your complete name instead of (or besides) using a fantasy nick.
    Paulo,

Paco Comeron is his real name.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: This one is in spanish

Originally posted by George Kohler
    Paulo,

Paco Comeron is his real name.
    Oops!!! Sorry!!!
    Paulo K. Ogino A.
    Architect
    Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

Smile

Hello Paulo:
    Don't worry about the error with my name. But you should worry for that people exist without scruples like the gentleman that we are commenting.We should place these post in the section of bad Budo. Do you say the same thing?.
    Do you know Spanish?. It would be brilliant to be able to speak in my language.My english is terrible, sorry.
    Regards.
    Paco Comerón.

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Paco, Don't worry about your english, the important thing is to keep our community free of those bad guys... Yes I do Speak spanish... I've sent an PM to you
    Paulo K. Ogino A.
    Architect
    Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

Default Akeshi Sueyoshi

Sorry for my very delayed answer, I joined the forum only some days ago...
    Sueyoshi Akeshi were student of Yoshinori Kono sensei, a kobujutsu researcher well known in Japan. Kono sensei studied aikido and Kashima Shin ryu before create his own school Shoseikan and start his own research on body moviment.
    So the forms that Akeshi sensei shows in his videos are based on Kashima Shin ryu, blended his previous experience in kung fu (I don´t know which style) and karate kyokushin.
    Also his is really a shugendo monk.
    I knew him personally and behind his almost childish behavior (don´t get it fool you) is very fast and accurate.

Likes (received)

HI
    my name is Pedro, i'm from Portugal! i've joined this forum just to reply to this post!

I trained with Sueyoshi Akeshi in 2004/2005, and I have to say it was probably the best martial arts experience i ever had (and i had a lot of different experiences before)!!!

Sandro is right, he is very childish but very serious at the same time!!! I don't even remember if we had a name for the style, but that was the less important thing! We meditate, we drank tea and we trained for hours!

I remember we only used on Kamae (stance) a variant of the Migi Gedan that was very useful for defense and fighting and that made me think that everything I learned in Aikido about sword kamae's was !!!!!!!!!

if Sueyoshi Akeshi was a charlatan, 'm sure a name name to his style would be the first thing we will be worried about!

I do miss his classes!!!

Likes (received)

What a coincidence. Me too? Honzan Shugenshu performing mikkyo, purification ceremony and useing the Jingai at Shrines and temples weekly. So this gentleman must also use a jingai? Small world.

By the way Shugendo is.....Shugendo. Kobudo is separate.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

I assume it is neither good nor bad to create your own style today since there are many other styles of iaido created in the modern era the most well known of which is seitei iaido of ZNKR and Muso Shinden Ryu.I have never practiced with Akeshi Sueyoshi, and only heard his name and took a look at the videos. ı should admit that I found the moves strange as well, but I am only a newbie in sword arts. I remember guys who never practiced anything other than Seitei iai used to find the moves of Iwata sensei of Eishin ryu as wrong!!!!! The same happened when I first began practicing Mujinsai Araki Ryu Gunyo Kogusoku, the most guys here in Turkey thought it was a fake ryuha and I being a university lecturer on Japanese history could not persuade the guys that Muso Shinden Ryu was established by Nakayama Hokudo in 20th century and Seitei was also a product of the seventies and is intended mainly for dan gradings and competitions today. My experience with Mujinsai Araki Ryu Gunyo Kogusoku (I know it is a long name for a koryu ) was short but for the last two years after ten years of practice with Muso Shinden and Seitei I began Suio Ryu under the Soke Katsuse Yoshimitsu sensei. My personal bitter experience of being branded a charlatan in Turkey and Ankara by guys who never even practiced iaido just because I practice some less known ryuha made me cautious about criticizing other people just because the moves are strange. I practiced kashima Shin Ryu only during one seminar, so as far as I can tell some moves are similar but in a more chambara fashion. But if you will look at a Jigen Ryu demonstration you will feel even stranger, yet there it is, a properly registered and non-f,ct,onal koryu. So for Sueyoshi sensei, I think mentioning your style and sensei whether the style be self created or a geniune koryu would be more credible. It is better to create a style and name it and say this openly thatn to claim afake history, but Sueyoshi sensei as far as I read here and see in the videos does not also claim centuries old history for the style he or his sensei created either. Wow I wrote too much. Thanks for reading if you guys came this far.

Kubilay Atik
    Kubilay Atik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast