Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shorinji Kempo vs. Ryukyu Kempo

Likes (received)

Default Shorinji Kempo vs. Ryukyu Kempo

How do these two arts differ from each other. Are they pretty much the same art?

Patrick Bevatori

Gene Williams Guest

There is very little relation between the two. Shorin-ji Kempo is a registered name for Doshin So's Japanese organization which is somewhat cult-like and a quasi religion. Ryukyu Kempo is an Okinawan karate ryu. There is a large and active Shorinji Kempo forum on E-Budo if you want to check it out. Look under Ryukyu Unarmed Martial Arts for Ryukyu Kempo.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Gene Williams
    Shorin-ji Kempo is a registered name for Doshin So's Japanese organization which is somewhat cult-like and a quasi religion.
    Can't really say that I agree on Shorinjikempo being cult-like.
    One part of the organisation is registered as a Shukyo hojin (religiuos organisation) however the Buddhist part isn't forced on anyone, however the basic pphilosophy, which is based on Buddhism, is something that all members have to study.

And as Gene said, there is no relation at all between Ryukyu Kempo and Shorinjikempo.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

Likes (received)

Thank you both for your responds. I have heard of Shorinji Kempo, but really thats about it. With both being Kempo thought they would be close.

Patrick Bevatori

Likes (received)

Just a language note for Patrick, "Kempo" is Japanese. It is made from Ken = Fist and Ho = way. It is translated as "Fist method" or "way of fist". The "Shorinji" part is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese "Shaolin Temple" (ji = temple). "Ryuku" is the term for the islands which include Okinawa.

The history and various strands of martial art known as "American Kempo" are entirely separate from the Shorinji Kempo that you'll find discussed in this forum.

While we're at it, the "n" in "ken" sounds as an "m" when combined to form "Kempo", and most translations from Japanese will use the "m". "Kenpo Karate" as a term is not good grammar, as both words mean roughly the same thing.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Patrick,

It does not appear that Gene Williams, who originally answered your posting, practices Shorinji Kempo based on his profile, so his reponse is not neccessarily knowledgable.

Raul
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Gene Williams Guest

Knowledgeable about what? Are you saying that Shorinji Kempo does have a relation to Ryukyu Kempo? Or, are you upset about the cult thing? That is an opinion shared by many. Well, maybe it is more like the Shriners

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Gene Williams
    Knowledgeable about what? Are you saying that Shorinji Kempo does have a relation to Ryukyu Kempo? Or, are you upset about the cult thing? That is an opinion shared by many. Well, maybe it is more like the Shriners
    My point has been made.
    Raul Rodriguez

Gene Williams Guest

Talking

Likes (received)

Hey Gene, you are about as Knowledgeable as the rest of us but maybe a little less so about Shorinji Kempo, since it is not a style you practice (or do you )

It is annoying for us when people keep bringing up the "cult thing" as we are most definately not a cult....... I didn't have to give up my house/car/first born or anything......... if it is a cult then it is a cr@p one
    Or maybe I would say that if I were brainwashed......
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Steve Williams
    It is annoying for us when people keep bringing up the "cult thing" as we are most definately not a cult....... I didn't have to give up my house/car/first born or anything......... if it is a cult then it is a cr@p one
    Or maybe I would say that if I were brainwashed......
    You mean you given up naming your first born Kaiso?
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

Shorinji Kempo, I have seen some pictures of people doing that style. Not sure what they call it. But they had a gi on and then over the top a monk robe. Forgive me if that is not the correct name of it.

Patrick Bevatori

Likes (received)

Well Patrick, if it looked like this, then you may indeed have been looking at Shorinji Kempo, which is what we talk about here. You'll find links from that page (the British Shorinji Kempo Federation wesite) to many others around the world, and to the headquarters site WSKO, in Japan.

[Fixed the broken URL, Anders]
    Last edited by Anders Pettersson; 21st February 2004 at 09:19.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Default Re: Shorinji Kempo vs. Ryukyu Kempo

Originally posted by 80's Rocker
    How do these two arts differ from each other. Are they pretty much the same art?
    Patrick Bevatori
    Obvious troll.

Cult?

Obvious troll part 2.
    A man with small testes should never get involved in a fight requiring cojones

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Shorinji Kempo vs. Ryukyu Kempo

Originally posted by Ade
    Obvious troll.

Cult?

Obvious troll part 2.
    Maybe I got this wrong? Are you saying I am Trolling, for asking this Question?

Patrick Bevatori.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast