Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beginning martial artist going to Japan: What style should I choose?

Likes (received)

Default Beginning martial artist going to Japan: What style should I choose?

Hello. My name is Chris Bandy, and I'm from Athens, TX, USA. Good to meet all of you fine people.

OK, I've been wanting to start training in martial arts for a while. In a few weeks I'll be going into basic training for the US Air Force, and I'm pretty much set on requesting Yokota AFB for my first permanent assignment(for which martial arts is ony one of many reasons).

What I'm wondering is if there is any particular style that would fit my needs over others. As for my needs.... well, keep reading.

If I do get assigned to a Japanese base, I'll be there for at least 4 years, but I must keep in mind the fact that I may be relocated after that, so an international presence would be preferred.

I'm also looking for something with a bit history, as another reason I want to go to Japan is because I've an interest in the Japanese culture(though I'm not as knowlegable as I'd like. I don't have a lot of time for internet at the moment, and my local library is somewhat... lacking in that area).

Other than that, I'm more or less open to suggestions, though I'll spend what time that I can doing my own research as well. So far, the only style I've had a chance to look into is Genbuken Ninpo, and I do like what I've found there. Unfortunately, not all the "official" sites I've found are as informative as that one is.

PS. I'm not certain that this is the right forum to post this on, but I didn't see a General MA forum, and I didn't want to Spam it across all the various sections. If I've mis-posted, please forgive me and redirect me. Thanks!
    -Christopher Michael Bandy

Don Roley Guest

I think you need to find out what is near Yokota air base, and what is being taught on base, before you can make a decision. I listen to Armed Forces Radio and they sometimes advertise Tae kwon Do (A Korean Art) classes at the community center and the like. I do not know what classes are availible in the area. There used to be a Bujinkan club on base (Run by someone I would avoid) that as never advertised on the radio, so there may be others.

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi!

Why not try Kendo? It is all over Japan. And, it can be found here in the US when you get back home. And, there are Kendo dojo in many countries. You can ask on the Kendo World forums if you happen to get transferred and there, you can find dojos where you might end up.

Kendo is a Japanese sword art that uses a bamboo sword called a shinai. And, it has two person kata that uses bokuto(wooden sword resembling a katana). With shinai you will eventually get to spar. The bokuto are never sparred with. The kata is derived from Kenjutsu.

It is good excercise and a lot of fun! That is what I practice and I think you would really enjoy it. I think if you ask Hyaku-sensei(Sensei means teacher-He's in Japan) or Neil Gendzswill-sensei, two Kendo sensei here, you can get a more detailed version of what Kendo is. I'm just a beginner, and I don't know if I gave a very good description. Oh yeah, Charlie Kondek can help you too. He's a Kendoka, and I think he may teach it too, but am not entirely sure. Just ask on the Sword Arts forum. They'll find your post. They frequent there, more often.

I hope this helps a little! Good luck finding an art you will enjoy!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Unless things have changed a lot since my day, you'll be asked to pick several choices of location, and you may not get first choice.

In addition to Yokota, you might put Kadena (Okinawa) for your second choice. You'll almost certainly find kendo near either base, and I can guarantee you'll find karate near Kadena.

Wherever you get stationed, ask around about what's available and try to actually visit different schools. That's the best way for someone with little prior experience to get a feel for what "fits" him or her.

Good luck in the AF. There's a bit of my blood, sweat, and tears on the ground at Lackland from 3 decades ago. If you get a chance to visit the Security Police Museum they may even have my old white service cap I donated (we switched to blue berets while I was there).
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Former Airman, hmm? You are, of course, correct about the choices of location bit. Perhaps you may be able to advise me on that one, too.

Apparently, you have to list 8 overseas locations and 8 domestic bases. My current strategy is to put Yokota, Kadena and Misawa as my first 3 overseas picks and then put the most popular(and thus difficult to get into) stateside bases for the other list. I figure if all my domestic picks are in Hawaii, SoCal and Florida, I'm bound to be sent overseas.

Any advice on USAF hotspots that are next to impossible to get assigned to?

EDIT: Or, as an alternative, what are some areas in the US that some styles that can be continued in Japanare located at?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Scars Unseen
    ...Apparently, you have to list 8 overseas locations and 8 domestic bases.
    Holy Cow! We only had to list three of each, if I remember correctly. I listed one specific base, and two "Areas" or "Regions" (I forget what term was used) -- Japan and Korea -- for my oversees choices.
    ...My current strategy is to put Yokota, Kadena and Misawa as my first 3 overseas picks and then put the most popular(and thus difficult to get into) stateside bases for the other list. I figure if all my domestic picks are in Hawaii, SoCal and Florida, I'm bound to be sent overseas.
    Good plan. It might even work.
    ...Any advice on USAF hotspots that are next to impossible to get assigned to?
    It would depend somewhat on your career field. If you're going into Civil Engineering, Police, Personnel, etc. they can use you anyplace. If you're going into Jet Engine Maintenance, on the other hand, they wouldn't need you at Lackland for example.
    ...EDIT: Or, as an alternative, what are some areas in the US that some styles that can be continued in Japan are located at?
    McCord AFB in Tacoma, Washington puts you within an hour's drive of some of the best Japanese martial arts anywhere. SoCal as well.

New York, Florida, Missouri -- all over, really. Once you get where you're going you can come back here and post your location. We'll probably be able to point you to someone wherever you end up (unless it's Oklahoma, we've not had good luck there, or someplace like Thule, Greenland, or Adak (You're not going to be a Surveilance RADAR Technician I hope!)

Anyway, not much I can add until you get where you're going. Good luck.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 12th March 2004 at 11:19.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Again, thanks for the advise. And I'm going to be a crew chief, so at least that nocks one of the San Antonio bases off the list.

Likes (received)

Personally, I find Judo to be a blast (no pun intended) so if you can find a judo dojo, you might want to try it out.
    Rob Thornton

Likes (received)

Former Airman, hmm? You are, of course, correct about the choices of location bit. Perhaps you may be able to advise me on that one, too.

Apparently, you have to list 8 overseas locations and 8 domestic bases. My current strategy is to put Yokota, Kadena and Misawa as my first 3 overseas picks and then put the most popular(and thus difficult to get into) stateside bases for the other list. I figure if all my domestic picks are in Hawaii, SoCal and Florida, I'm bound to be sent overseas.

Any advice on USAF hotspots that are next to impossible to get assigned to?

EDIT: Or, as an alternative, what are some areas in the US that some styles that can be continued in Japanare located at?

Hi Chris-san,

There are 16 Kendo dojos in your state alone. If you want to see where they are, so you can go watch a practice to see if you are interested in learning it, go to this page and scroll to the bottom of it to see the dojos listed in Texas:

http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/Stat...RST_States.htm

Be sure to call the sensei first to ask if you may watch a class. This is standard protocol and etiquette. This would help you to see if this is an art you'd be interested in studying in Japan or else where. Kendo is in lots of states. To see what other states have Kendo, go to the All US Kendo Federation's website here:

http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/schools.htm#CO

And, if you want to see where Kendo is located internationally, click on the "Resources" button on that page. Most dojo should be on that page. But, some aren't always listed so outside help would be needed and can be asked for here or on the Kendo World Forum.

Hope this helps!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Default Re: Beginning martial artist going to Japan: What style should I choose?

Hello. My name is Chris Bandy, and I'm from Athens, TX, USA. Good to meet all of you fine people.

OK, I've been wanting to start training in martial arts for a while. In a few weeks I'll be going into basic training for the US Air Force, and I'm pretty much set on requesting Yokota AFB for my first permanent assignment(for which martial arts is ony one of many reasons).

What I'm wondering is if there is any particular style that would fit my needs over others. As for my needs.... well, keep reading.

If I do get assigned to a Japanese base, I'll be there for at least 4 years, but I must keep in mind the fact that I may be relocated after that, so an international presence would be preferred.

I'm also looking for something with a bit history, as another reason I want to go to Japan is because I've an interest in the Japanese culture(though I'm not as knowlegable as I'd like. I don't have a lot of time for internet at the moment, and my local library is somewhat... lacking in that area).

Other than that, I'm more or less open to suggestions, though I'll spend what time that I can doing my own research as well. So far, the only style I've had a chance to look into is Genbuken Ninpo, and I do like what I've found there. Unfortunately, not all the "official" sites I've found are as informative as that one is.

PS. I'm not certain that this is the right forum to post this on, but I didn't see a General MA forum, and I didn't want to Spam it across all the various sections. If I've mis-posted, please forgive me and redirect me. Thanks!
    Ryu TE(RyuKyu Kempo)I think you would find this to be very usefull, but very hard and vigorus training. But it is a lifetime endevor, that I think you would enjoy!

Likes (received)

OK, I've done a bit more online research now and I think I've possibly narrowed my question a bit(or just changed the nature of it). This is assumming that I get stationed in Japan, of course. If I get put in a domestic base I'll have to go with whatever is available.

As I've said before, part of the reason I want to study martial arts is to help gain a better understanding of Japanese culture and history(which is odd since I'm an Irish/Commanche blend, but...). This would seem to point towards one of the koryu. However, I find myself torn between my attraction to kenjutsu and the practicality of an unarmed art(I am going to be in the military, after all).

Now, I realize that I can get both from Ninpo, but I'm not certain if that style (of any of the "kans") will help as much in the primary reason that as stated above. I've read the koryu.com article about it, the forum threads about it, and I haven't been able to come to any conclusion about it either way.

So what I'm wondering is what some of the ninpo folk think on this(not whether or not the style itself is historically accurate. I've read enough debate on that). It's not really the kind of question I could answer by watching a training session, I think. It would take time actuall learning the style, and since I may only have 4 years initially(though I hope for longer), I'd hate to start a style only to realize later on that it wasn't for me.

Also, are there any koryu that do incorporate both armed and unarmed techniques?

Likes (received)

...Also, are there any koryu that do incorporate both armed and unarmed techniques?
    I can't comment on the ninpo/jutsu/kan thing, because I have little experience/knowledge of them.

But I can say that many of the koryu are complete systems. While each may emphasize or be famous for one art, their curriculum contains others as well.

I'm heading out the door at the moment, but when I get home tonight I'll give you a list of some of the koryu bugei schools' included arts.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hi, I know that some koryu schools couple hand to hand ryu with Kenjutsu Ryu and other weapons. Here there is a Daito AikiJutsu school that also teaches Ono Ha Itto Ryu Kenjutsu in it's curriculum.
    Anyway you should see an art for yourself to see if it's for you. My advice is get as much info about different schools before leaving and when you get there check out all the schools you researched to see what's for you. Personally I like the fact that the Genbukan have many schools to draw from armed and unarmed.

Michael Duke Guest

Maybe you should check out Jujutsu or Aiki Jujutsu.

Also, judo might be a good option for you.

Likes (received)

jujutsu is your best bet,then again it might not be for everybody,i like it,cause it's so diverse and good techniques,then again all budo is good,the main thing is that you choose one and stick with it(or even more than one)best feeling in the world practicing martial arts,knowing you can handle your self in a posssible dangerous situation if the need arrives,and you being in the military,it's better to be prepared in all areas of combat,good luck to you and hope you find and art to study

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast