Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who are all these Shimabukuro boys?

Likes (received)

Hi Prince,

Take it a step further might be a clearer exercise.

When Kyan was teaching were there systems, or were there just instructors teaching what they studied an felt.

I've really started to think that while individuals like Funakoshi Ginchin (and not him alone) tried to categorize arts by region (Naha-te, Shuri-te, Tomari-te) or by major characteristics of techniques taught in those regions, and while their teachings in Japan formed new 'styles' of karate, was that really representative of Okinawa until the 1950's.

There seems to have been enough cross-fertilization of instructors as well as instructors freedom to have their art move as they saw it, that I wonder how much any system name really applied, and as the arts have exploded in size, isn't that much of todays deliema, trying to hold up a system construct instead of an instructor construct?
    Victor Smith
    Bushi No Te Isshinryu
    www.funkydragon.com/bushi

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Smith
    Hi Prince,

Take it a step further might be a clearer exercise.

When Kyan was teaching were there systems, or were there just instructors teaching what they studied an felt.

I've really started to think that while individuals like Funakoshi Ginchin (and not him alone) tried to categorize arts by region (Naha-te, Shuri-te, Tomari-te) or by major characteristics of techniques taught in those regions, and while their teachings in Japan formed new 'styles' of karate, was that really representative of Okinawa until the 1950's.

There seems to have been enough cross-fertilization of instructors as well as instructors freedom to have their art move as they saw it, that I wonder how much any system name really applied, and as the arts have exploded in size, isn't that much of todays deliema, trying to hold up a system construct instead of an instructor construct?

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the info, I am trying to create a lineage chart for Matsubayashi Ryu and somehow when it comes to the Arakaki , Shimabuku and Kyan. I am just unable to figure what their system are.

Often, I wonder if Kyan was considered to be an expert in both ( Tomari and Shuri) which of the following would be more dominant in Kyan's teaching towards Arakaki and Shimabuku ( Taro)
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

My memory, hazy as it is, reminds me that Nagamine sensei was raised up in a north east section of Naha called Tomari or similar name. However, when I trained at his dojo it was in the southwest part of Naha close to Naha AB, at least in the early 1960’s. The old masters that Nagamine, Miyazato, et al, learned from were mostly from the Shuri section of Naha, I think, and would have met in some central location it would seem. Sensei did not teach me much of the history due to a minor problem – he spoke more in the original Okinawa language, as opposed to Japanese, and I just didn’t have enough time there to learn both well enough to converse with him. He spoke GI-English okay, but not well enough to define technical things like the history of Okinawa Ti. Two years is not a long time to learn it all.

"Old" DustyMars from the "Rock"

Likes (received)

In those days, GI English wasn't all that hard to learn. Just use the f-word as every part of the sentence, and you were already halfway to fluency. Add another half-dozen words (e.g., the ones that you couldn't say on the radio in those days), and you were ready for most duty except maybe radio intercept or embassy duty.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth
    In those days, GI English wasn't all that hard to learn. Just use the f-word as every part of the sentence, and you were already halfway to fluency. Add another half-dozen words (e.g., the ones that you couldn't say on the radio in those days), and you were ready for most duty except maybe radio intercept or embassy duty.
    The first time sensei said, "Fukyugata" I thought he was cursing me! The one almost curse word I learned in Okinawan was "akasami yo" or something like that. It seemed like it would get a big laugh out of them when I said it!

Their language was not all that hard to learn, but while still learning Japanese with many similarities it was confusing. We occasionally went to a tea house and drank too muck saki, learned a lot of Okinawan then naturally forgot it the next morning. Most of the techniques in karate were said in Okinawan or a mixture, so after returning to the States and occasionally doing karate practice my partners were puzzled at my terminology. Many of the terms were near to Japanese so it was not too hard to adjust.

Unlike a typical Japanese sensei, the Okinawa sensei were good natured and friendly, more tolerant of us young GI’s and our evil ways.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2