Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Koryu in Washington State?

Likes (received)

Default Koryu in Washington State?

Is there anyone teaching the Good Old Stuff(tm) in greater Portland Oregon/Southwest Washington area or someone within a few hours drive who wouldn't mind somewhat irregular attendance? I'm looking for weapons arts in particular. My Krabi Krabong instructor has pretty much given up on teaching, and I'm looking for something to fill the gap.

Regards,
    Todd
    Todd Ellner

"The man who never alters his opinion is like the stagnant water and breeds reptiles of the mind" -- William Blake

Mekugi Guest

Default Re: Looking for teachers in the Pacific Northwest

Shinto Muso Ryu Jo (koryu bujutsu) has an active dojo in Portland. SMR teaches : Jo, odachi, kodachi, nito, Isshin Ryu Kusarigama, Ikaku Ryu Jutte and Uchida Ryu Tanjojutsu. Webpge: http://shinto-muso-ryu.org/ or for reasearch: http://www.koryubooks.com/guide/muso.html
    e-mail me if you want to know who-what-when.

There is also Sosuishitsuryu (koryu bujutsu) in Portland, Vancouver (WA) and Lake Oswego. They teach Jujutsu (Kumi Uchi) and Koshi no Mawari (Koshi no Mawari).
    For more info, check out http://www.sosuishitsuryu.com for history and stuff.

-Russ Ebert
    mekugi@sosuishitsuryu.com

Originally posted by tellner
    Is there anyone teaching the Good Old Stuff(tm) in greater Portland Oregon/Southwest Washington area or someone within a few hours drive who wouldn't mind somewhat irregular attendance? I'm looking for weapons arts in particular. My Krabi Krabong instructor has pretty much given up on teaching, and I'm looking for something to fill the gap.

Regards,
    Todd

Likes (received)

I dont mind irregular attendance, but I am not qualified to teach weapons. Granted that does not stop me from playing with them sometimes but I dont teach them. I'd say to hit the phone book. There are enough people in Portland who will take your money to teach you what they have.

D.H.
    Desmond Harpster

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. W.C.Fields

Man: is this gambling?
    WC: not the way I play it.

Likes (received)

Desmond,

Please sign your post with your full name.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default Hmm, weapons

You asked:
    Is there anyone teaching the Good Old Stuff(tm) in greater Portland Oregon/Southwest Washington area or someone within a few hours drive who wouldn't mind somewhat irregular attendance?
    Russ Answered:
    Shinto Muso Ryu Jo (koryu bujutsu) has an active dojo in Portland. SMR teaches : Jo, odachi, kodachi, nito, Isshin Ryu Kusarigama, Ikaku Ryu Jutte and Uchida Ryu Tanjojutsu...There is also Sosuishitsuryu (koryu bujutsu) in Portland, Vancouver (WA) and Lake Oswego. They teach Jujutsu (Kumi Uchi) and Koshi no Mawari (Koshi no Mawari).
    I second what Russ said, as far as the "good ol' stuff". If that isn't your cup of tea, then Portland should have a plethora of various weapons schools - plus you got the PNKF there in Tigard, which could lead to some Battou/Iai.

Like Mr. Harpster said, hit the phonebooks.
    Jared Albrecht

hyouriittai Guest

Default Re: Hmm, weapons

Originally posted by Shison
    You asked:

Russ Answered:

I second what Russ said, as far as the "good ol' stuff". If that isn't your cup of tea, then Portland should have a plethora of various weapons schools - plus you got the PNKF there in Tigard, which could lead to some Battou/Iai.

Like Mr. Harpster said, hit the phonebooks.
    I study with the PNKF group in Tigard, the Obukan dojo, and they do have iai there on Wednesdays. Robert Stroud sensei left the dojo just recently, but I'm sure there will be someone there to instruct iai in his place. John Hancock-sensei, I believe is the new head instructor of the dojo.

On another note, I've been looking for some koryu around here, too. The mention of a Shinto Muso-ryu group perked my interest -- however, I've never even heard of them or read about them in my searches on the internet, nevermind the phonebook. Does anyone have any information on that?

MarkF Guest

Default Re: Looking for teachers in the Pacific Northwest

Originally posted by tellner

Regards,
    Todd

Mr. Tellner, if you are looking for koryu, Ellis Amdur is in the Seattle area. You may want to contact him to discuss the possibility of studying with him. His background is aikido, but he teaches Araki-ryu, but it couldn't hurt to shoot him an email. You should find him posting in this forum, so contact should be easy. Joining, however, may not be as easy, but it can't hurt to ask.

There are tons of budo of all kinds in the PNW so you should be able to find something to suit you. If you don't have any experience, however, a judo dojo, or aikido may be a good way to get into shape and practice for koryu.

Mark

Likes (received)

Dear Sir:
    there is a fine gentleman in the Portland area who is teaching Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu; his name is Michael Taylor. I highly recommend him: he is both knowledgeable and generous. You may find him by searching the net for his dojo "Northwest Koryukan". I hope this helps you in your search.
    Sincerely,
    T. Erik Angerhofer
    seven times down, eight times up...

Likes (received)

Todd,

What weapons are you looking to learn? Are you looking for basic/advanced kata, or more application?

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Hmm, weapons

Originally posted by hyouriittai
    On another note, I've been looking for some koryu around here, too. The mention of a Shinto Muso-ryu group perked my interest -- however, I've never even heard of them or read about them in my searches on the internet, nevermind the phonebook. Does anyone have any information on that?
    The Oregon SMR would be Steve Duncan. He studies with Phil Relnick. The info up-page will get you in contact.
    Jack Bieler

"The best things can't be told; the second best are misunderstood; the third best are what we talk about." - after Heinrich Zimmer

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Hmm, weapons

Hi Matthew

Check out Shelby's Jodo page.. it has the most complete list of links to Jodo/Jojutsu related information

http://www.shelby.at/budo/jodo.html

Hope this helps. Good luck
    Regards
    Greg

The mention of a Shinto Muso-ryu group perked my interest -- however, I've never even heard of them or read about them in my searches on the internet, nevermind the phonebook. Does anyone have any information on that?
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

"Seek out the middle of the two we's in I"

hyouriittai Guest

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmm, weapons

Originally posted by gmlc123
    Hi Matthew

Check out Shelby's Jodo page.. it has the most complete list of links to Jodo/Jojutsu related information

http://www.shelby.at/budo/jodo.html

Hope this helps. Good luck
    Regards
    Greg
    Er, what I meant is that I hadn't heard about the group in our area. Though I'm not entirely familiar with Shinto Muso-ryu (or any other koryu for that matter!) I have heard and read about it a bit. Thanks for the help, though!

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmm, weapons

Oops, Matt.. sorry, I misunderstood the context of your question, obviously.

Not that it was helpful, but you're welcome anyway.

Regards
    Greg

Er, what I meant is that I hadn't heard about the group in our area. Though I'm not entirely familiar with Shinto Muso-ryu (or any other koryu for that matter!) I have heard and read about it a bit. Thanks for the help, though!
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

"Seek out the middle of the two we's in I"

Likes (received)

Default Hoshu Dojo

Quote Originally Posted by tellner View Post

Regards,
    Todd
    Just saw this old thread come up on a google search and wanted to let would be Koryu people know that Hoshu Dojo teaches Shindo Muso Ryu (of the fukuoka lineage) and Daito Ryu.
    Information can be found at www.hoshudojo.com. I know of another SMR school called Ecole de Budo here as well, although I've never them.

15. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomasgroendal View Post
    I know of another SMR school called Ecole de Budo here as well, although I've never them.
    Thomas seems like you left a few words out!

EBR (or School of Budo) does teach SMR jo and iai, through the dojocho's teacher Jaff Raji, a student of Pascal Krieger. Krieger sensei has visited the dojo to teach koryu and Judo.

We also offer aikido and Tim Cartmell's jiujitsu - which we refer to in-house as "Shinbu" (after his Shen Wu) - which has some unique elements not common to other BJJ schools.

I'd love to visit you guys and see your Daito-ryu some time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast